Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Which fuse for turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which fuse for turn signals

I have a 2009 R56. Apparently, I don't recognize the "universal" symbol for turn signals because I can't find the turn signal fuse. I have looked on the right kick panel, but can't find the right one.

Can anybody guide me to the right fuse?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
There is no turn signal fuse. Each turn signal is connected directly to a computer in the footwell. What are your symptoms?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
No symptoms, I just wanted to make an alarm that alerted me when I left a turn signal on for a long time.

My plan was to put a Schottky diode across the fuse, along with a small-value resistor (1 ohm or so). When the turn signal flashed, I would get a .4V square wave across the resistor. I could use a microcontroller to sense that the turn signal had been ON an inordinate amount of time and "buzz" me.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
After I read my post, I realized I didn't do a good job of explaining. I would put the Schottky diode in SERIES with the fuse. When the turn signal was OFF, the 1 ohm resistor would keep the voltage across the diode at zero. When the circuit started drawing current, a voltage drop would appear across the resistor, but be clamped at the forward voltage of the Schottky.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The computer controls each turn bulb on a separate line (6 of them including the side scuttles). You could put two of your circuits on the lines for a left and a right bulb, but you should consider that the turn signals are also used for hazard lights.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
If I had access to all the wires, I could just look for a voltage transition. I was hoping I could get to a turn signal fuse. That would get me both left and right, and at a convenient location - no removing panels. Oh well...

Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
Do any of the internal buses have turn signal information?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
CAN bus I believe has the turn signal information. At least modules are involved, the KOMBI dash indication, the FRM module for the actual lighting, and the SZL module contains the actual stalk switch.

All of the individual turn signal wires come out of the FRM module and you could tap them at the harness there. The WDS (wiring diagram service) will have the color codes and pin numbers.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
The beauty of using one of the CAN signals is - just maybe I could get speed information there as well.

I'm so used to the "3 flash lane change" that I don't pay much attention to the turn signal. Sometimes I push it a bit too hard and it stays on permanently (or until some other driver points at me). I would like to allow the turn signal to stay on for any length of time when the car wasn't moving, but to beep me after 30 seconds if I was moving at a decent speed.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Heather Smith
Neutral
Rear turn signal and hazards not working

I hoping for some help. I had the uhaul guy set up my mini to tow a trailer
was working great then about 300 miles into the journey the rear right signal quite working and then shortly after that the left and hazards won’t work

i removed the wireing and was hoping that would do it.
That didn’t work so I was then looking for a fuse but it sounds like that isn’t an option

does se anyone have any ideas
thanks

Old 07-14-2021, 05:52 AM
Ajw102453
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
There is no turn signal fuse. Each turn signal is connected directly to a computer in the footwell. What are your symptoms?
So then is my computer broke if my left turn signal wont turn off??i dk whats wrong i left work n all if a sudden it just turned on by its self and wont let me switch it from left to right.it turns off after a few hours and it doesnt happen until i get a mile down the rd it will turn on and it will let me turn it off but it will turn right bAck on n after 3 times of turning it off it then dont let u do anything it just stays on constant please help 09 mino cooper turbo s