Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Sound system upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
06cooperworksdroptop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound system upgrade?

i have the harman kardon sound system in my 06 jcw convertible... its gettting a lil crackly and am wondering what other people have done when this happens? what did you replace it with? how did it work and what would people recommend? also i want to put two 8 inch subs in my trunk any ideas?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM
avastarr
1st Gear
Is the Harmon Kardon sound system much better than what comes stock?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
06cooperworksdroptop
Neutral
Originally Posted by avastarr
Is the Harmon Kardon sound system much better than what comes stock?
Yes the harman kardon system is really nice, the only thing is I have a drop top so I need more sound its not loud enough for me and the speakers r getting a bit crackly, it is an 06 though

Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
I purchased my head unit and speakers on onlinecarstereo.com. I found that they have the best prices anywhere, and they've got some great products. be warned though that the front speakers at least, won't fit into the doors themselves unless you get tiny low profile ones, I had to drill them into my door panels. Also make sure you get a dash kit and a wiring harness. They don't make it sound like you really need it, but you do, a head unit will not fit in without the dash kit, and will not wire up without a wiring harness. Let me know if you have any questions, i just did my stereo a few months ago, so its fresh in my mind.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
PM Sent

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM
06cooperworksdroptop
Neutral
Originally Posted by luseboy
I purchased my head unit and speakers on onlinecarstereo.com. I found that they have the best prices anywhere, and they've got some great products. be warned though that the front speakers at least, won't fit into the doors themselves unless you get tiny low profile ones, I had to drill them into my door panels. Also make sure you get a dash kit and a wiring harness. They don't make it sound like you really need it, but you do, a head unit will not fit in without the dash kit, and will not wire up without a wiring harness. Let me know if you have any questions, i just did my stereo a few months ago, so its fresh in my mind.
are you having problems with the whole like sound of the new speakers, ik you can run into problems on how they sound bc of the space and air movement of the speaker its self?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 06cooperworksdroptop
are you having problems with the whole like sound of the new speakers, ik you can run into problems on how they sound bc of the space and air movement of the speaker its self?
the only problem i have is my ears ringing after i put the volume up high. they sound amazing, really a great sound system that everyone comments on. the speakers were like 35 bucks a pair, they look great and sound even better. huge improvement over stock. Although the one thing i don't like is that the head unit i got (el cheapo pioneer) while it does sound really good, the antenna wouldn't fit into it, and it tends to scratch cd's a lot... But otherwise i love it. If i were you, i'd spend the money on a nice head unit, one with ipod integration. You don't need to spend huge money on speakers to get good sound, and they aren't gonna look much better anyways, plus if one ever blows out you wont be all pissed. Back to the original question though, i am planing on buying some speaker baffles and dynamat to go behind the speaker, in order to preserve better sound.