Electrical LED Resistors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LED Resistors

Just finished putting the resistors on my car so that all of my LED additions stop setting off the computer.
So,

-Parking lights in the front, piece of cake, follow the instructions that come with your resistors. I mounted mine with 3M SuperDuty Double stick and then nuts and bolts through the fiber board. Brown is Ground.

-License Plate, also very easy, only took one resistor for both. Mounted on top of the housing. Brown is Ground.

-Tails, More complex....took three per tail, mount three ground onto the brown line. Then one end of each resistor on each yellow wire(there are two and they are the brake/tail lights) One on the blue/silver wire that is on the far left of the harness(blinker). I mounted the resistors to the body inside the access panel of the light with self tappers and double stick and no errors anywhere!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
What LEDs did you put in the tails, and did you compare brightness with the original bulbs? For exterior lighting, plug-and-play aftermarket LED bulbs are generally dimmer than the filament bulbs they replace.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Did you just add resistors until the warning light went away??

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
What LEDs did you put in the tails, and did you compare brightness with the original bulbs? For exterior lighting, plug-and-play aftermarket LED bulbs are generally dimmer than the filament bulbs they replace.
They are as bright if not brighter than the Incandescents they replaced. They also have a "cleaner" light(best I can describe it). I got them at www.superbrightleds.com (here's a plug guys how bout a discount next time!)
I have so far replaced ALL of the interior, Tails, Driving Lights, License Plate, and side markers. The Headlight Blinker got Chrome dusted amber(i think they look better). Pictures at night may not do it justice but I'll do some soon.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Did you just add resistors until the warning light went away??
On the tails it was a pain to try to figure out what the computer wanted to have resistance and which didn't. What I described previous was after a few days of trial and error.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
They are as bright if not brighter than the Incandescents they replaced. They also have a "cleaner" light(best I can describe it). I got them at www.superbrightleds.com (here's a plug guys how bout a discount next time!)
I have so far replaced ALL of the interior, Tails, Driving Lights, License Plate, and side markers. The Headlight Blinker got Chrome dusted amber(i think they look better). Pictures at night may not do it justice but I'll do some soon.
pics pics!! I already bought led parking light, they have a incorporate resistor...

Take some pics at night putting the camera on a tripod!!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear

Last edited by GeoffreyM; 09-14-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see in the NCS Expert spread sheet some entries for bulb warnings; if I applied these changes, what resistors would be required? (Perhaps this should be in the LED thread instead.)

Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
If you remove the cold and warm check you don't need resistors. The other option is to use the 45 light towers and then you don't have to do either.