Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical 45mm gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
45mm gauges

I see posts of happy campers with Prosport gauges. Has anyone considered their 45mm? Looks like 2 can fit mounted to the left of the wheel on the plastic trim, and one on the right. Volts, Oil, water. usual stuff.

Are folks happy with the Prosport in the long run? I have never heard of them until a trip to Mach V.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay O
Say no to prosport . get some autometer gauges .
Got a reason, or are you just being another forum bench racer?

I have used 5 or 6 Prosport gauges, they are all awesome. Their new wideband works very well, albeit a little larger than most. They are very popular with Subaru guys. It never hurts to support the smaller companies once in a while either.

The electronics are very high quality, and they are far more accurate than the mechanical Autometer gauges. I had an Autometer boost gauge that calibrated over 1psi off. Never again.

The amber one is a nice match for OEM gauge lighting.

Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and boost are just about all you will need, a wideband or EGT if you really want them are nice diagnostic aids as well.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Did you take that up with Prosport? They all carry a one year warranty you know. They sent me a new pressure sensor for free when mine failed. (my fault, even) Awesome customer service.

How come even the electronic $250 Autometer ones are inaccurate, but the $80 Prosport one is dead nuts on?

Just cause its made in the USA doesn't mean its going to work.

Last edited by not-so-rednwhitecooper; 06-19-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
OOOOh. Can of worms. I always respected Autometer but I have two friends who have had terrible reliability issues with them. I used VDO in all my previous projects. Never had a problem with them.

Yes, the matte silver bezel and amber is one reason, the other is the 45mm size. This allows mounting options you can't get with 52mm gauges. I see Craven has nice 52mm gauges that match the color with silver faces, but not the functions or size I want. I was thinking a Scangauge II, but no oil pressure and just digits. I also like that they are only one inch deep. Again, mounting options.

Volts, Oil Pres, and Water temp are all I am looking for. I will let the ECU take care of my Lambda, EGT and boost. I am not modifying the mill, only the chassis. If I had room for a fourth gauge, it would be something like oil temp on the output of the turbo.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Awesome, now, I look like i'm talking to myself, lol.

VDO and Stewart Warner seem to be on the upper end of quality. VDO makes tons of OEM gauges and meters.

I always recommend the oil temp gauge. I would substitute it for a water temp gauge if I had to pick between the two. Its a simple 1/8"npt sensor, just drill and tap a hole in the pan near the middle of the oil level, or use an adapter in the drain plug.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Agree, oil temp is good. Sometimes used instead of the oil pressure. My 79 VW had one. ( also cheaper in the days of analog gauges) If your pressure is down, your temp will be up. Something like that. I still like my idea of the exit of the turbo. Coking the oil in the turbo is the concern. Maybe I am too old school and it is no longer a problem. We used to put external pumps for after shutoff to prevent it.

I really want the water temp. Maybe it is because I have had so many older British cars.

Guess I had better figure out how the dash trim pieces come out. I am thinking of fiberglass moulding little bulges and finishing it in matching piano black. I wish they had the clear face, so I don't have to light them up in the day. Looks like the solution. A lot of work and no other 45mm competition, so I hope they work.

Hmmm. I see the negative posts went down. I don't like that. Jay was expressing his experience and strong view. If this Forum becomes happy-days only, it will be useless.