Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Alarm install Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:35 PM
eTHE2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm install Help!

I have removed my tachometer and replaced the windshield wiper stalk in an attempt to install my OEM alarm. I have also installed the motion sensor in the roof of the car. I have not installed the siren under the bonnet yet.

Now, when I attempt to start the car, the car will not start. The headlights flash on and off every second or so and the car will try to start, but it seems like something in the electronics is not allowing it to. The drivers window will also start to roll down while I am trying to start the car. The OBC will show the incorrect temperature and all computer readings are at zero. When I remove the key, give it a minute or two, all OBC settings are back to normal until I try to start the car. Then the whole process starts again.

What did I do and how can I get the car back to normal?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Note: A description in the title will result in more responses.

Not sure why it would do that, but in general the best method would be to undo what you did, and see if you get the same results. Short of that, at least unplug/replug the tach. The window rolling down sounds like there might be an issue with the BCM (body control module/computer.) Did you let any blue smoke out of the wires during install? It's all plug and play, so I can't see where you would have shorted anything out in swapping the stalk.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
eTHE2
1st Gear
Eric, Thanks for the reply. I had already undone the work and I had the same result. After searching here and looking through a few threads, I found a reported problem with their car similar to what I was experiencing. Based upon that response, I pulled the battery and had it checked. It was reported as bad. Got a new battery this morning, connected it and all is good..with the mods in place. Thanks for your suggestions as I thought this would be plug and play. The only unknown was the sudden failure of a 6+ year old original battery. Thanks again! NAM put me at ease!

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Note: A description in the title will result in more responses.

Not sure why it would do that, but in general the best method would be to undo what you did, and see if you get the same results. Short of that, at least unplug/replug the tach. The window rolling down sounds like there might be an issue with the BCM (body control module/computer.) Did you let any blue smoke out of the wires during install? It's all plug and play, so I can't see where you would have shorted anything out in swapping the stalk.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Whew - gotta hate it when you're working on A and a completely unrelated Z breaks!
Glad you got it figured out. So is the alarm successfully installed?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM
eTHE2
1st Gear
A bit frustrating and unnerving to say the least. Yes, got all the components of the alarm installed. Now, it is off to the dealer to get it coded.

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Whew - gotta hate it when you're working on A and a completely unrelated Z breaks!
Glad you got it figured out. So is the alarm successfully installed?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
let us know how much your dealer charges for coding. Pricing for this seems to be all over the map. The factory install instructions say:

• Connect DIS or GT1 to vehicle
• Turn on ignition
• Select "Coding ZCS"
• Series: "R50"
• Path: "2 Retrofit"
• System: "Alarm system"

which sounds like a 5-10 minute deal. My local dealer wanted 2 to 4 hours! Might be a record for the highest quote.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 PM
AK.JCW
3rd Gear
I'm very interested in how much the dealer charged for the coding, any update?