Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?

Hi there again

Finally finally yesterday, I installed my bi-xenon kit on my R56 . Anyone else did?
I know in this forum they are some really nice guys or girls that might help me. Thats why i write again in this amazing forum

Ive been having few problems with it though, and i hope someone can troubleshoot me out of it.

First of all, i installed the kit, but only the right bulb worked. Then i tightned the (only) ground wire on the left side, and amazingly now both bulbs worked. After some driving, now again, only the right bulb is working.. The left one is out again...!

1. What is causing this?
When i only turn on the lights, without starting the engine, (yeah it is actually possible, for those who dont know. I didnt knew that myself in the beginning... Just put the key in, wait 6 secs, and push engine start WITHOUT holding the clutch down) the low and high beams works smothly without any buzzing noise... BUT When the engine is running, and i put on the HIGH BEAMS, i can hear an annoying buzzing sound from the engine compartment. Probably coming the the ballast!

2. Is that normal??
Ive ordered (will get it tommorrow) canbus relays from a "pro" xenon shop here in sweden (also called warning controllers, somehow), so i will install this tomorrow and report how my 3 problems will work out.

I reported these 3 problems to this xenon shop in sweden also, and they told me, to order these warning controllers, and my problems should be over. I doubt that a bit, but we will see about that tomorrow when i get them.

I just wanted to hear your guys opinions on this. And probably any solutions?

Thanks alot for your time

Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM
dooky
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sakhi
Hi there again

Finally finally yesterday, I installed my bi-xenon kit on my R56 . Anyone else did?
I know in this forum they are some really nice guys or girls that might help me. Thats why i write again in this amazing forum

Ive been having few problems with it though, and i hope someone can troubleshoot me out of it.

First of all, i installed the kit, but only the right bulb worked. Then i tightned the (only) ground wire on the left side, and amazingly now both bulbs worked. After some driving, now again, only the right bulb is working.. The left one is out again...!

1. What is causing this?
When i only turn on the lights, without starting the engine, (yeah it is actually possible, for those who dont know. I didnt knew that myself in the beginning... Just put the key in, wait 6 secs, and push engine start WITHOUT holding the clutch down) the low and high beams works smothly without any buzzing noise... BUT When the engine is running, and i put on the HIGH BEAMS, i can hear an annoying buzzing sound from the engine compartment. Probably coming the the ballast!

2. Is that normal??
Ive ordered (will get it tommorrow) canbus relays from a "pro" xenon shop here in sweden (also called warning controllers, somehow), so i will install this tomorrow and report how my 3 problems will work out.

I reported these 3 problems to this xenon shop in sweden also, and they told me, to order these warning controllers, and my problems should be over. I doubt that a bit, but we will see about that tomorrow when i get them.

I just wanted to hear your guys opinions on this. And probably any solutions?

Thanks alot for your time

I'm interested as well... Let me know how it goes and please post some pictures. I was curious to buy one of those HID kits too. They did mention that you need the warning cancellers for the error codes.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
got both lights to work.

The ground wire i tightned was the problem. I cleaned the area and tightned it again. Now both bulb works.

BUT - i installed the warning cancellers, but my mini still reports bulb out!!
Wrote to the company, where i bought these, and awaiting answers.

Can this have something to do, that i have a "loose" halogen "input" in one of the headlight housing? The other headlight-housings-halogen-input is connected to the xenon relay...

Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
oh, and by the way..

i still have the buzzing sound when going to highbeam. Does anyone also have that? Or is it just my ballast that is cheapy?

regards

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM
dooky
2nd Gear
do you have any pictures?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
It sounds like you have bought a rubbish HID kit. Buy a set from HIDSDIRECT as they are the best i have ever used. I used to sell god knows how many sets of Xenons each week when i had my shop and we tried and tested over 30 different brands and styles and the only ones worth buying were the ones from HIDSDIRECT. They have built in Warning Cancelers that "actually" work unlike the cheap bolt on style ones, they make no buzzing noises and the done't interfere with the radio or flicker, so pretty much the Dogs Test""les.

You can find them at http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html. They also ship internationally so can send them to Sweden.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
I will post pics soon...

Hello PRIMINSTAR

Yeah i probably have bought a set of crap... And Thanks for the website. Ive looked at them some time ago. But if you say so, then i think i will order some ballast from them... Seems like an cool company...

Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
Honestly they are pretty good. I dont mean to put you dowm on what you have bought but some companies are very misleading and sell a load of rubbish. Those guys are good though so give them a try.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sakhi,
the buzzing from the ballast is normal for the aftermarket HID ballasts. I had aftermarket hid ballasts on my audi and they worked for 3+ years without a problem, even with the buzzing.

the grounding sounds like an issue with a bad contact, make sure its not "painted" metal that you're grounding on. though it sounds like maybe you've got that figured out.

i'm not too sure about the bulb out warning, i know some ebay places tell u they send u the canbus part for free, but i havent tried to see if they work. i'm planning on getting HID's for my foglights, but i know i'll get the bulb out warning. im already getting the bulb out warning now with my DRL LED's above the fogs, but i deal with it, its not too bad as it goes away once u start driving and leaves u with the little ! mark.

good luck and keep us updated on what happens with the bulb out warning.

btw are you running your hid's on projector lenses? If you're still using the halogen housings that the stock halogen headlights have, you're probably blinding every oncoming motorist because the hid is reflecting all the light off of the reflective housing. lol

Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
Ive returned my warning cancellers. Waiting for a refund, then i will order the HIDS-DIRECT.co.uk ballast...

Sorry guys, ive been working busy, so i havent taken a picture or two. But i counting on taking a few tonight with my phone, when i get of work.

BOSTON
I use halogen housing, because i really only cant find xenon housing on ebay for other models than R56.. And i am pretty sure, if i find a xenon housings for r56, it will be expensive... or what?

I havent actually got any negative response from other drivers here... Is it usual that they blind? - My opinion is, cars with factory xenon (hid projecters) also blinds somehow :-) hehe

About the parking lights (above the fog lights) i use these http://www.xenonkungen.com/dk/art/w5...-led-2xsmd.php

They have a canbus integrated, so i dont get any warning signs... Hate them!

what is DRL LEDS btw?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:45 AM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
To be fair iv also had Xenons in Non xenon housings before and not one person has flashed or hurled abuse at me. Im sure that only applies to really ol heaps that blind anyway. Although one of the cars i had a HID kit in was the Mk1 Mini cooper with the same housings as the pre facelift xenons.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
Pictures of my Mini with Bi-Xenon in Halogen Housings!

Here are some pics, that you requested...

PLEASE dont comment my ugly ugly driving lights.. I have never regreted anything so much in my life, than these lights i bought from EBAY.. The so called: Halo Lights - I feel so sorry for my mini - I didnt knew that time, so much about minis. Now i know a lot, and i also know where to buy the original ones, what size they really are, AND where to place them! I know that these ugly halo lights are toooo high on the grill. F****** EBAY SH** And by the way, they even RUST!!! There is RUST ALL OVER THE BRACKETS AND SCREWS - A little tip - If anyone want to buy these halo lights "for your mini cooper" DONT DO IT!

PS - Took the photos with my mobile phones. Sorry for the quality!

enjoy

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
my license plate bulbs

my license plate bulbs - just to show (canbus)

Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-7.jpg  

Last edited by sakhi; 08-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
my canbus parking bulbs (w5w)

my canbus parking bulbs (w5w) - just to show

Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-8.jpg   Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-9.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
bi-xenon with parking lights

bi-xenon with parking lights - finally they match (the parking lights and the standard lights)

Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-10.jpg   Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-11.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
bi-xenon with fog lights ON

bi-xenon with fog lights ON - i am using NOKYA H8 STAGE 2 7000K bulbs

Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-12.jpg   Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-13.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
picture taken from behind - low beam

low beam - great xenon distance

Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-14.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
all pics taken with low beam

Old 09-24-2009, 02:24 PM
celiborgy
1st Gear
What size are the low beam bulbs on the non-projector mini headlights?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
H7.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 PM
celiborgy
1st Gear
It said on the manual H13. When I searched the forum it also said H7, Im confused..

Old 09-25-2009, 11:07 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
H7 - (Bulb finders on the internet are wrong about the new minis bulbs)

Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 AM
celiborgy
1st Gear
Well I kinda agree with the H13, because high beam and low beam is in one bulb which H13 have, H7 only has low beam.

Can someone confirm this? My mini is a 2007.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
OKAY NOW I HAD IT!!!
IVE STILL HAVE THE BUZZING NOISE AND STILL HAVE THE BULB OUT WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IVE SPEND TO MUCH MUCH MONEY IN THIS!

I received these digital ballast with built in warning cancellers today:
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-bal...ast-p-337.html

Like PRIMINISTAR said this would work. But sadly NO!

Ive really gone insane.. I installed these (Just replaced them with the old china rubbish ballast) and STILL GOT THE BULB OUT WARNINGS and BUZZING NOISE when going to HIGH BEAM!

I AM SO MAD!! Like i said ive used to much money and time on this to get the perfect kit /setup but no...

SO i decided to troubleshoot a bit!
When they engine is NOT started, the buzzing noise do not appear when going to high beam.

When the engine is STARTED the buzzing noise of course appear when sat to high beam. I then decided to let my ears go after the buzzing.. and to me IT REALLY sounds like its coming from the relay?! I posted some pics of the relay.. COULD THAT BE IT?! shall i buy a new relay from HIDS DIRECT?!

I also noticed that it is only the right bulb that is vibrating a bit with the buzzing, when high beam is on. (the relay is also mounted on the right side)

BUT BUT BUT.. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS.. I STILL FREAKING GOT BULB OUT WARNINGS! HOW COME THAT BE?!? Can this have something to do with that i have a loose wire with no H4 bulb in it, in one of my halogen housings?!

I simply followed the HID installation instrucs...

Any help?
ps check pics

Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
sakhi
1st Gear
these are the new ballast with built in warning cancellers..

these are the new ballast with built in warning cancellers..

Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?-getattachment.aspx.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Electrical Bi-xenon HID kit Problem. Anyone?