Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SVDave
Wanted to add a small bit of additional reference information to the thread. (thanks to everyone who's been posting here previously, the discussion was invaluable)

I custom ordered a new Cooper S for my wife back in early July, and the combination of a less than stelar sales staff and the 2012 model year change meant that several things got left off of the car ... one of the more surprising items being the lack of homelink on the rear view mirror. (looks like the premium package for 2012 replaced the autodim+homelink mirror with an autodim only mirror)

Ever since we picked up the car last month, I'd been on the lookout for a replacement mirror, having come to the conclusion that it _should_ be a simple swap. I ended up finding one from a wrecked 2011 countryman on ebay for less than 1/3 of the price of a new part, with the same part number as I found listed for our car on realoem. When it finally arrived, the package also included the plastic surrounds for the bracket, as well as a cut off wiring harness from the roof.

The install itself almost couldn't have been simpler: gently pop off the surrounds, twist the original mirror 90 degrees to one side, unplug the wiring harness, and reverse the procedure with the new mirror. After starting up the car, the homelink buttons lit up as expected, and the autodim function worked the same as with the original mirror from the factory.

Some Notes:
  • The mirror part number for our car (and presumably any USA spec cooper/clubman/countryman from the last few years) is 51169219374 (mirror only, no bracket surrounds)
  • Since my car already had an autodim mirror installed, this was in fact a plug-and-play install. The oem homelink circuits seem to only need power, but otherwise be self contained.
  • I didn't disconnect the battery, or do anything else to the car before or after the install. Just left the engine off while I was doing the swap, and turned it on to check things out afterwards.
  • The homelink buttons only function when the car is running. This is actually a desirable trait for me, but I mention it since I've owned cars that left the buttons active all of the time, versus tying them to the ignition.
  • The 10-pin wiring harness plug has all 5 pins filled on one side, and three filled in on the other. I'd assume one could quickly confirm a car was pre-wired for this mirror by popping off the existing mirror and looking at the pins in the connector.

I had originally pondered trying to get the dealer to put a new mirror on our car to save me the time of dealing with it, but after reading through the forums here, and keeping an eye on ebay, I'm glad I chose to handle this one myself.
Does that mirror also have a compass?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
svtzx2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the Auto-dimming mirror with Homelink will swap perfectly with the wiring from your auto-dimming only mirror. The Homelink version was not available to me when I ordered my R56 JCW.
I was able to sell my factory auto mirror on eBay to recoup some of my costs of upgrading. Well worth it! I use the Homelink feature on my home and work underground garage doors everyday.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Here is the some part info. 51169219374

Rearview Mirror - 315MHZ Frequency - Autodim & Homelink

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51169219374/

Was superseded to :

Rearview Mirror - 315MHZ Fequency - Autodim & Homelink & Compass Part number 51169262702

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51169262702/

So, it must share the same electrical connections as the non compass version.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM
zxfiles007
Neutral
Homelink

No,you have to buy the connecting cable kit which I did.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Part # for the Connecting kit?

What does it take to install cabling?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 AM
zxfiles007
Neutral
Ecs tuniing

This is the cable:http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...Retrofit_Wire/

There is also a post on with the instructions but it was in German. I went to the dealer and they printed a copy. But basically involved opening up the mirror connector which is X18246 and inserting 2 pins and running those wires down to the fuse box to connectors X1002 AND X1008

Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, that was the kit for the electrochromatic upgrade and it was for the R55 and R56 models.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Chromatic_Mirror_Retrofit_Wire/

61120416436 Part number Retrofit Wire - Int Mirrror EC And GTO

Here is the PDF file that is in German.

Zxfiles - did you use this for the compass / homelink / electrochromatic version upgrade?

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-24-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
S'poreSTI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we bought our mini i missed a few things in the config & we didnt get the homelink mirror, we just have the standard "completely manual" mirror.
I would really like to have homelinkretrofitted, but still not sure what exactly would be needed or if it can be done at all?

If i were to buy
Rearview Mirror - 315MHZ Frequency - Autodim & Homelink & Compass Part number 51169262702
&

is that all i would need to install in our car & get the full mirror functionality?
Or is there other wiring needed?
Appreciate any advice!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by S'poreSTI
When we bought our mini i missed a few things in the config & we didnt get the homelink mirror, we just have the standard "completely manual" mirror.
I would really like to have homelinkretrofitted, but still not sure what exactly would be needed or if it can be done at all?

If i were to buy
Rearview Mirror - 315MHZ Frequency - Autodim & Homelink & Compass Part number 51169262702
&

is that all i would need to install in our car & get the full mirror functionality?
Or is there other wiring needed?
Appreciate any advice!

I have an auto dim mirror (no home link) I purchased from eBay, and the MINI retrofit kit (a wire, a fuse and a bunch of zip ties). I have installed the wiring, and added $431 to the VO for good measure, but my key fob no longer works. When I swap the stock mirror back in, it works fine.

I'm not sure if I have done something wrong, or perhaps the eBay mirror is just plain broken.

Anyone else do an upgrade from the standard mirror to autodim? If so, did you need to do anything other than the wiring to make it all work?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Will this also work on an R56 LCI? I have a 2013 Cooper Hardtop.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I did find the electrochromatic interior retrofit wire kit, I don't have much information on the product but it could be useful in the future for wiring up the mirror. Looks like it was to go from no electrochromatic to electrochromatic in early Gen 2 R56 and R55 models.

Here is the kit:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/61120416436/ES161793/

Here is the install instructions: they are in german so you will have to translate.

Click Here.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Does anyone know if this will work on a newer model R56 (2013)?
Originally Posted by komet155
Will this also work on an R56 LCI? I have a 2013 Cooper Hardtop.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 AM
bmrguy03
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by komet155
Does anyone know if this will work on a newer model R56 (2013)?
The retrofit should work just fine for your car. You can get the official retrofit wire for $20 at MINI. They have to special order it. You can have them print out the retrofit instructions for you too. I did it to my '12 CMS and it has worked flawlessly even though the instructions were for R56. If you need the part number, I can look up my receipt later.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM
BaldGrumpyGuy
Neutral
Originally Posted by bmrguy03
The retrofit should work just fine for your car. You can get the official retrofit wire for $20 at MINI. They have to special order it. You can have them print out the retrofit instructions for you too. I did it to my '12 CMS and it has worked flawlessly even though the instructions were for R56. If you need the part number, I can look up my receipt later.
I just recently purchased a 2013 R56 JCW and it did not have the auto-dim rearview mirror or the homelink.

I am not as concerned about the auto-dimming but am really interested in the homelink. Can you please provide the part number that you ordered for the retrofit wire? I've got someone who has an auto-dimming mirror with homelink but before I take them up on the offer I want to make sure that it's doable and not going to cost me a fortune for it to work.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 PM
bmrguy03
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BaldGrumpyGuy
I just recently purchased a 2013 R56 JCW and it did not have the auto-dim rearview mirror or the homelink. I am not as concerned about the auto-dimming but am really interested in the homelink. Can you please provide the part number that you ordered for the retrofit wire? I've got someone who has an auto-dimming mirror with homelink but before I take them up on the offer I want to make sure that it's doable and not going to cost me a fortune for it to work. Thanks
No worries. My 2012 CMS came with a manual dip mirror as well and I retrofitted it with a autodim rearview mirror with homelink. Like I said, it works perfectly. The homelink uses the same power source as the autodim function which is why for them, they can just swap mirrors w/o the retrofit wire. Anyway, the part number for the retrofit harness is 61-12-0-416-436. And my receipt says I only paid $22 with tax. If you can get the mirror at a good price, I would def jump on it as the retrofit is very easy. Hope I was helpful.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM
BaldGrumpyGuy
Neutral
No worries. My 2012 CMS came with a manual dip mirror as well and I retrofitted it with a autodim rearview mirror with homelink. Like I said, it works perfectly. The homelink uses the same power source as the autodim function which is why for them, they can just swap mirrors w/o the retrofit wire. Anyway, the part number for the retrofit harness is 61-12-0-416-436. And my receipt says I only paid $22 with tax. If you can get the mirror at a good price, I would def jump on it as the retrofit is very easy. Hope I was helpful.
Thanks for the great info. I'm swinging by the dealership today to see if they have the retrofit wire in stock. Mirror has already been procured for basically nothing so looks like I will be good to go in no time.

Thanks again for looking the part number up as it's so much easier to walk into the parts department and give them the part # I'm looking for.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 AM
komet155
4th Gear
I happened to notice a link to the offical install instructions in German in ECS Tuning's post above. I think I can figure it out now. 2 pins connect to positions in the connector at the mirror base and the other 2 to positions in a fuse panel junction on the right side of the car....does anyone know exactly where this junction is? Hmmmm on second thought it appears to be below the dashboard just forwards of the door jamb.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Harry T
Neutral
Any tips for dealing with the X18246 connector. The pins on my retrofit cable won't push all the way in and lock... I can't see how the connector comes apart. Stalled for now... Thanks

Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Put some WD40 on the connector... I guess the pins are just too tight.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, that was the kit for the electrochromatic upgrade and it was for the R55 and R56 models.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Chromatic_Mirror_Retrofit_Wire/

Here is the PDF file that is in German.

Zxfiles - did you use this for the compass / homelink / electrochromatic version upgrade?

Thanks
jeez i wish i'd ordered this from the factory.. so with this kit, i can install an autodimming rearview mirror? I dont care so much about the homelink bit as i do the autodimming

Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, for some R56 R55 , you have a later R56 LCI, I would check the fsue panel pbox to see if it match in the German install instructions on page 5. Before you dive into this. 2 pins connect to positions in the connector at the mirror base and the other 2 to positions in a fuse panel junction on the right side of the car.

Thanks

Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
pdf down/broken?

why didn't i just get this from the factory... a $250 option. big mistake on my part

Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I feel the same way.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM
sabwjz
Neutral
Adding auto dim mirror with homelink to '14 countryman

I've read over this post and need some clarification before I pull the trigger on purchasing the auto dim mirror with home link. Out 2014 countryman came with the manual mirror (no dimming/no homelink). I confirmed that the 10 pin connector on the existing mirror is only pinned with 3 wires 12v (brown with green stipe), 5v (yellow), and ground (brown with black stripe) and the power wires are hot all the time. This I'm assuming is for the key fob receiver in the mirror. From reading this thread I should be able to jumper the orange and red wires on the new (dimming/homelink oem mirror) and connect it to the existing vehicle side connector and everything should work? I read a post that people have had problems with their key fobs not working afterward. Any help anybody could lend would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DKMcK
I purchased a 2009 mirror with homelink and auto dim off ebay.

I simply connected the red wire to the orange wire (pin 3 with pin8) and everything works, the remote fob, homelink, and the auto dim. The auto dim and homelink work all the time instead of just when the car is switched on. When I get a block of time, I'll run a switched wire and connect to the red wire. I suspect the grey and black wires are for the auto dim outside mirrors if so equipped.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this thread is all about DIY, but for those of us without the electrical chops to go it alone should check out your local MINI dealer.

My Roadster has the manual dimming mirror, and I was quoted $550 to get the OE homelink mirror installed.

Unfortunately the roadster is missing some electrical stuff (antenna?) that is normally in the hardtop, so no go for the roadster. But for all those hatchbacks out there it might be worth a call to the dealer.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just completed the factory retrofit on our late 2013 MCS Hardtop. Here are a few thoughts.

- - - - - - - - -

Purchased the following from ECS Tuning. They were great to work with, sales rep and techs were very helpful.

Rearview Mirror - 315MHZ Fequency - Autodim & Homelink & Compass

Retrofit Wire - Int Mirrror EC And GTO

- - - - - - - - -

General

- The MINI connectors are numbered on the face to show you what pin number you are dealing with. They are tiny, make sure you have plenty of light!

- Use a small, thin awl to carefully seat the pins into the connectors.

- - - - - - - - -

Mirror

- The mirror comes off by turning it 90° in either direction. It feels like you might break something the first time you do it, but then you see how it attaches and its no big deal.

- - - - - - - - -

Wiring Harness

- Run the wire along the front side of the A-Pillar. There is enough wire to go this way, and it looks like it should not interfere with the A-pillar airbag.

- Do not leave much slack, you will need everything to go from the mirror to the fuse block.

- Pop the side cover of the passengers side vent to run the wires down to the box. Open the door to access.

- Pull back the plastic surround around the fuse panel, you will need to install one of the wires into a connector that is located at the very bottom of the box.

- The connectors at the fuse box are two piece - the part holding the pins slides out of the main part. Carefully pry the release tab and the center block with the pins slides out. It is MUCH easier to insert the pins this way.

- - - - - - - - -

Wrapping it up

- My mirror had a 'C' in the compass area which means the mirror needs to be calibrated. The procedure is in your owners manual. Short story: Press the button on the back of the mirror (the hole closest to the top of the mirror) has to be depresses with a thin tool (use your awl from before). Based on the manual, you first select your map zone. Then slowly drive the car in a circle until it picks up the directions. Took my car less than half a circle to pick it up.

The following users liked this post:
Quarky42 (05-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Electrical Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink