Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
sensez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2004 r53 is already setup for this homelink mirror? my build date is 11/03 and i've been scouring to find information to confirm if or if not my car is able to do this mod.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
DomesticMuscle
2nd Gear
From what I have read yes it is a plug and play on the first generation Mini's.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sensez
Does anyone know if the 2004 r53 is already setup for this homelink mirror? my build date is 11/03 and i've been scouring to find information to confirm if or if not my car is able to do this mod.
This is the 2nd Gen forums you would be much better off to go to the first gen forums to get you answer.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
lenored2
Neutral
Dimming Mirror Homelink for 2009 Cooper Clubman

Just bought a used 2009 Cooper Clubman without a Dimming Mirror w/Homelink . I purchased a used Dimming/Mirror/Homelink, but can't get it to work. Thought it was the mirror so I was sent another mirror, it still didnt work. What Can I do?? I called Mini some very young man asked another service attendant and the consensus is that it can't be installed. Can anyone help me. Someone sad something about a schematic???? Help, please live in Palm Springs just want to get into my house.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lenored2
Just bought a used 2009 Cooper Clubman without a Dimming Mirror w/Homelink . I purchased a used Dimming/Mirror/Homelink, but can't get it to work. Thought it was the mirror so I was sent another mirror, it still didnt work. What Can I do?? I called Mini some very young man asked another service attendant and the consensus is that it can't be installed. Can anyone help me. Someone sad something about a schematic???? Help, please live in Palm Springs just want to get into my house.
If you read the posts in this thread people have given info on how to make it work and what wires to use.

If you are not sure of all of that then PM the one s that have done it and they can give you more info.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 PM
jaydub
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lenored2
Without rewiring the mirror itself, it can't be just plugged in. I went through the rigamarole of rewiring it, and it can be moderately involved. I never got the autodimming function to work, only homelink. I have it for sale in the Marketplace.

Long story short, you have to pop the glass off, rewire the Homelink to use the existing wires. I didn't keep a link to it, but I did find the details linked here someplace.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM
DKMcK
1st Gear
Jaydub,

When you had the homelink mirror installed, did you have to re-program your remote keyfobs? The receiver in the new mirror worked with the original keyfobs?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
DKMcK
1st Gear
I purchased a 2009 mirror with homelink and auto dim off ebay.

I simply connected the red wire to the orange wire (pin 3 with pin8) and everything works, the remote fob, homelink, and the auto dim. The auto dim and homelink work all the time instead of just when the car is switched on. When I get a block of time, I'll run a switched wire and connect to the red wire. I suspect the grey and black wires are for the auto dim outside mirrors if so equipped.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
MyMiniS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retrofitting homelink and auto dimming on a 2011 Cooper

I just bought a new 2011 Copper (non S) and the Mini has a manual dimming rear view mirror. I would like to change it and install an auto dimming with homelink mirror. I removed my existing mirror and found out that it does have electrical wires connected to it. Does any one know if that is a prewire for the auto dimming / homelink mirror? Also, do you have the part number for required for the auto dimming / homlink?

TIA

Old 05-08-2011, 11:49 AM
DKMcK
1st Gear
The wire connection on my 2010 is only good for the remote fob antenna. I ran another. "switched" wire to the red wire on the autodim mirror when I installed it. I got mine off eBay, it came off a 2009 Mini.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:55 PM
MyMiniS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DKMcK
The wire connection on my 2010 is only good for the remote fob antenna. I ran another. "switched" wire to the red wire on the autodim mirror when I installed it. I got mine off eBay, it came off a 2009 Mini.
Thank you for the quick reply. I will search eBay twice a week as currently there are none listed.

RB

Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Dr Strangelove
2nd Gear
Is this possible on a 2010 Camden S?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
DKMcK
1st Gear
Is this possible on a 2010 Camden S?
I'm no expert but I suspect the mirror options are consistent across the different models for at least a specific year. In my case the auto dim mirror came off a 2009 mini and I have a 2010 Clubman.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Dr Strangelove
2nd Gear
Hmm....thinking....I really want that homelink

Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 AM
mentalbob
1st Gear
Just added a 2009 Homelink+autodim mirror to my 2007 Justa. I used a staple to short pins 3 and 8 temporarily and it works great! I did notice that the mirror was dimming while sitting in the garage. Hopefully that's not too much of a drain on the battery until I can run a switched wire.

Does anyone know the pinout for the switch bank in the overhead? I noticed that the sunroof switch appears to be powered only with the fob inserted so it might be a good tap.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to look at the wiring diagram for the autodimming mirror to understand how it works. Have a look here.

Explanation:
On connector X18246, which connects to the auto-dimming mirror you need to use pins 1-8-10 (so three wires).
- Pin 1 uses a 0.35mm cable (SW-WS, BLACK with WHITE stripes) and goes to the fuse box on connector X11002 pin 38. (This one I believe is the CAN bus connection)
- Pin 8 uses a 0.5mm cable (RT/GN, RED with GREEN stripes) and goes to the fuse box on connector X11008 on pin 1. (This is the POWER connection)
- Pin 10 uses a 0.5mm cable (BR, BROWN) and goes to the GROUND connection of the car. You can splice any brown wire and connect this one there, all the grounds finish at the same place eventually.

Now off course I have not done the installation myself, but I think once you have those connection in place the mirror should be working fine. It may also require coding, but I am not positively certain.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's another option for you guys to ponder. My M Coupe never offered Homelink (a travesty in a $55k car!). I've wanted to do some kind of Homelink solution ever since buying the car 4 years ago. I HATED the crappy Genie dongle on my visor. Then, I recently found the solution. A guy running a little company called radar-mirror.com adds Homelink to your existing mirror for $199. Also does custom radar detector remote displays INSIDE your mirror. Just got mine back, and the results are spectacular.. check it out here, and if you're interested, email him and give him the specifics of which mirror you have, and he'll be able to tell you if he can convert yours.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566030

Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 AM
lonestarbuzz
2nd Gear
nice find! thanks, kevin.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 AM
SVDave
Neutral
swapped auto-dim for homelink+autodim on my 2012

Wanted to add a small bit of additional reference information to the thread. (thanks to everyone who's been posting here previously, the discussion was invaluable)

I custom ordered a new Cooper S for my wife back in early July, and the combination of a less than stelar sales staff and the 2012 model year change meant that several things got left off of the car ... one of the more surprising items being the lack of homelink on the rear view mirror. (looks like the premium package for 2012 replaced the autodim+homelink mirror with an autodim only mirror)

Ever since we picked up the car last month, I'd been on the lookout for a replacement mirror, having come to the conclusion that it _should_ be a simple swap. I ended up finding one from a wrecked 2011 countryman on ebay for less than 1/3 of the price of a new part, with the same part number as I found listed for our car on realoem. When it finally arrived, the package also included the plastic surrounds for the bracket, as well as a cut off wiring harness from the roof.

The install itself almost couldn't have been simpler: gently pop off the surrounds, twist the original mirror 90 degrees to one side, unplug the wiring harness, and reverse the procedure with the new mirror. After starting up the car, the homelink buttons lit up as expected, and the autodim function worked the same as with the original mirror from the factory.

Some Notes:
  • The mirror part number for our car (and presumably any USA spec cooper/clubman/countryman from the last few years) is 51169219374 (mirror only, no bracket surrounds)
  • Since my car already had an autodim mirror installed, this was in fact a plug-and-play install. The oem homelink circuits seem to only need power, but otherwise be self contained.
  • I didn't disconnect the battery, or do anything else to the car before or after the install. Just left the engine off while I was doing the swap, and turned it on to check things out afterwards.
  • The homelink buttons only function when the car is running. This is actually a desirable trait for me, but I mention it since I've owned cars that left the buttons active all of the time, versus tying them to the ignition.
  • The 10-pin wiring harness plug has all 5 pins filled on one side, and three filled in on the other. I'd assume one could quickly confirm a car was pre-wired for this mirror by popping off the existing mirror and looking at the pins in the connector.
Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink-minimirrorplug.jpg

I had originally pondered trying to get the dealer to put a new mirror on our car to save me the time of dealing with it, but after reading through the forums here, and keeping an eye on ebay, I'm glad I chose to handle this one myself.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
sonnychiba
Neutral
I was told by the dealer that this could not be done. I have a 2013 R56 with manual mirror. Can I do the swap with minimal effort?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM
SVDave
Neutral
I would assume the swap for a 2013 would be the same as for a 2012.

Firstly, I'd check on realoem to confirm the part numbers for the various mirrors shipped on 2013 minis.

Second, since you're car has a manual mirror, it's worth popping off the surrounds and confirming that the wiring harness in the roof has all of the pins wired in before ordering a new mirror. There's the real possibility that Mini didn't install the harness in your car, since it shipped from the factory with a manual mirror. (my car had an autodim mirror, hence the powered harness was already installed)

Finally, you can always get a new part online for full retail, but assuming you find a match in a used/salvaged part, I'd suggest giving it a shot. The part I received was slightly dusty, but otherwise in pristine condition. The only challenge here is that you will either need to find a used parts retailer, or lurk on ebay for a few months to see a used mirror come up for auction/sale.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 AM
smeagol
Neutral
R56 2011 Mini One D - auto dim + homelink mirror retrofit

Hi there

Just thought I would add to this thread by confirming that retrofitting the auto-dim mirror (inc home link) is very straight forward for R56. I have just bought my first bmw mini - my first experience with a mini for 20 years (having helped my dad do an engine swap on an old classic mini). Really like these new minis and have caught the retrofit bug !!

I found this thread really helpful - thanks to all who contributed.

I have a 2011 mini one D with the standard, non auto dim, non homelink mirror. The mirror has the standard circuitry which acts as a receiver for the lock/unlock door and alarm.

I retrofitted a r56 auto dim mirror with homelink successfully.

You simply remove the mirror, and jump a single wire between pin 3 (red) and Pin 8 (orange).

No need to bother with jumping any other wires.

Auto dim and homelink worked first time, and I can confirm the key fob remote also continues to work.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
DKMcK
1st Gear
smeagol, with your install I bet the homelink and autodim work even when the car is turned off. If you run a "switched" wire and connect to the red wire instead jumping to the orange, they will only work when the car is on. On mine, I found a switched circuit on the sunroof.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I did find the electrochromatic interior retrofit wire kit, I don't have much information on the product but it could be useful in the future for wiring up the mirror. Looks like it was to go from no electrochromatic to electrochromatic in early Gen 2 R56 and R55 models.

Here is the kit:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/61120416436/ES161793/

Here is the install instructions: they are in german so you will have to translate.

Click Here.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered the auto-dimming mirror on my 2013 R55, but I would like to do swap it with a auto-dimming + home link mirror. It sounds like this is just a plug-and-play setup...is that correct?

Quick Reply: Electrical Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink