Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel

Old 09-18-2015, 10:34 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The SZL I purchased appears to not be rain sensor compatible. While it is very hard to read, the RealOEM table here does appear to say that part number 61313451892 is NOT compatible with a rain sensor. The seller thought the car it came off of had one but I guess he was wrong. I'll be trying another SZL in the near future, in the mean time I'll be looking for a way to disable the rain sensor!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Norton70
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anybody here post a pic of their SZL module?

thanks.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:49 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Norton70
can anybody here post a pic of their SZL module?

thanks.
What are you using it for? The link in my last part, the one immediately prior to yours, has a pretty good diagram image of the part.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Norton70
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nomar116
What are you using it for? The link in my last part, the one immediately prior to yours, has a pretty good diagram image of the part.
So for my car 06 r52 S auto, it appears the module is called a switch?
And no matter what the car had for features, only one switch was used
Is this correct?

Although the blinker switch has a variety of choices, knowing that, should my current non rain sensor blinker switch be used for my hopeful cruise control retrofit?

Or should I use the blinker switch that came off the car 05 r52 S auto I got a MFSW and slip ring from, that is also a non rain sensor or alarm car?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1502

Last edited by Norton70; 09-19-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Norton70
1st Gear
so what is the box / module displayed in the retro-fit kit? (see attached image)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1584

Attached Thumbnails Multi Function Steering Wheel-retrofit-kit-and-module.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 10:57 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by justawatcher
Excellent.. looking forward to your update.
Any ideas on how to temporarily disable the auto wipers and headlights? Neither is working correctly since the SZL I installed apparently was not compatible with these features. I'm in the market for a new SZL that also incorporates multi-function, but in the meantime I'm looking for a coding work around. Thoughts?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Norton70
1st Gear
Originally Posted by justawatcher
Excellent.. looking forward to your update.
Well no good news yet.

I installed the MFSW and slip-ring from a 05 S auto R52 on my 06 of the same, was hoping for stereo controls but no action, I realized the cruise wouldn't work without coding but fingers were crossed for radio control. At least the paddles still work so I know I'm plugged in.

Now what, any ideas?

Last edited by Norton70; 09-26-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Now what, any ideas?
Have you programmed it? I had great success using Justa's advice earlier in this thread. However, I think in the future if my coding is ever overwritten I will try updating the Vehicle Order.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Norton70
1st Gear
No coding yet, hoped I would get radio without it.

Afte speaking with a senior service tech at my local dealership yesterday, I shouldn't expect results without coding. He said his dealership may or may not be willing to change the car's "order" status, possibly a no-no for a dealership, which I can respect.

Question, can the MFSW be coded in without changing my car's order status?

Didn't know if there is a difference in the 2 terms but I'm starting to think there is.

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:41 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
No coding yet, hoped I would get radio without it.

Afte speaking with a senior service tech at my local dealership yesterday, I shouldn't expect results without coding. He said his dealership may or may not be willing to change the car's "order" status, possibly a no-no for a dealership, which I can respect.

Question, can the MFSW be coded in without changing my car's order status?

Didn't know if there is a difference in the 2 terms but I'm starting to think there is.

Thanks.
Yes it can be. The only problem is that if the dealer later updates/reprograms your computer it would erase the changes. I do not know if there are any drawbacks associated with just changing the vehicle order?

The coding is pretty easy if you spend a few hours reading on this forum and them follow Justa's suggestions earlier on. I bought the cable for about $40 and was up and running, kind of neat as well.

I still need to find the correct SZL though... :/

Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't believe I forgot about this thread. I did the swap about 5 years ago and had it programmed up. Total price is close to $1k. At the time the value of the car went up. I don't think that is the case anymore.
This is what you are looking for and you need to match up the options on your car. Once you do that take it to the dealership and have it installed and programmed. I did the dealer install for fear of breaking something and/or getting installed and the car not starting or not being able to steer.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Norton70
1st Gear
Yes it can be. The only problem is that if the dealer later updates/reprograms your computer it would erase the changes. I do not know if there are any drawbacks associated with just changing the vehicle order?

The coding is pretty easy if you spend a few hours reading on this forum and them follow Justa's suggestions earlier on. I bought the cable for about $40 and was up and running, kind of neat as well.

I still need to find the correct SZL though... :/
What cable are u referring to?

Will my process be the same, with a 2006?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:10 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Justa note
If the VO is not modified, dealer updates will update the car following the VO which is why your mods will go away.. no biggy..
When reprogramming your modules don't use your old backup (edited) files to restore your mods.. the reason is the dealer updates will likely change the options and the order of each module.
(a good reason to keep notes)
I keep originals and modified copies along with a text note of what changes were made. After a dealer update I make New Originals and Modified copies using the text notes. It takes 20 minutes with text notes. (text notes = personal notes)

Cheers

Last edited by justawatcher; 10-03-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: clarification ..
Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 AM
bfleming
Neutral
Countryman MFSW activation

Hi All
Resurrecting an old but useful thread here...
I'm having some problem getting the MFSW buttons to work - here's a summary of where I'm at:
I have a 2012 Countryman Cooper SD All4. No MFSW.
I bought a complete MFSW from a 2012 Countryman (same as mine), harvested the button blocks & cabling from it, and installed into my car, plugging into the socket on the slip ring. Note here the Countryman only lists one part number for my SZL, no differentiator between MFSW & no MFSW.

Firstly I added $249 (MFSW) to the VO on both CAR & FRM, all good.

Then I used NCSExpert to do the following changes:
SZL module: Changed MFL to aktiv (was nicht_aktiv)
KOMBI module: Went to change TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER to wert_02, but it was already at wert_02. Same thing with ACC_AUSSTATTUNG, which was already reading wert_01.

Neither cruise nor audio controls work on the MFSW, nor do I have button illumination (assuming they do illuminate like my E90).

Any ideas of what to try next?

Last edited by bfleming; 01-22-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM
bfleming
Neutral
Success

Hi, just to close out my question above; using RealOem I managed to find out that whilst the stalk cluster (SZL) Mini will sell you in 2017 is part number 9253767 (I have no auto wipers nor auto lights), this part number is the same whether you have a MFSW or not.
However, in 2012 when my car was built, there are several lesser versions of the unit. I took my airbag & steering wheel off, and saw I had part number 9253763. So I got lucky on Ebay & bagged the correct part number for $70. Fitted it, and I now have working audio controls & cruise control, including the green light on the central speedometer that tells me cruise is activated. I have get the 3 second speed display in the tacho display. Very happy!

Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bfleming
Very happy!
Very glad this worked for you. I am not having as much luck... Can you elaborate on what SZL part number you ended up needing to be successful?

I've purchased 3 SZL at this point and had varying degrees of success. Right now, with part number ending in 1893 I am getting an amber DSC light and brake light. The MFSW works and the lights actually came on after about 6-8 months of no issues at all. I suspected my SZL had gone bad.

Instead, with a new SZL with the same part number I'm having the same problem.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM
tomvleeuwen
Neutral
Basically any part number that shows up on etk.cc is with MFSW, and all parts that are unknown to etk.cc are without MFSW since BMW never sold replacement SZL's without MFSW. You can just use a MFSW enabled SZL in a non-MFSW car, but obviously not the other way around.

Other options to consider are: DSC (steering angle sensor is inside SZL), Manual headlight aim adjust (Non-Xenon EU cars), automatic headlights, rear wiper switch (convertible has no rear wiper). Also very early R56's don't have the interval push button, but you can just use an SLZ with the push button.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM
bfleming
Neutral
Hopefully you are familiar with REALOEM.com; if you put the last 7 digits of your VIN in there, it should select your model, when you then hit 'Browse Parts'.
Scroll down to Vehicle Electrical System, then to Switch Unit Steering Column. This page will then show you the applicable SZL's for your car, but you need to know what specification you already have - in my case I have a 2012 Countryman with no Xenon lights & no Rain Sensor - so the correct part for me is 61319253767. My car had 61319253763 from the factory, which does not support the MFSW (apparently). I bought the correct part from Ebay for £50 ($65) but the main dealer wanted a lot more than that - over £300.
Just to repeat what Tom says above, all replacement SZL's support MFSW, but not everything out of the factory did - even though you can physically plug in MFSW buttons on an older SZL.
I hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:23 AM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bfleming
Hopefully you are familiar with REALOEM.com; if you put the last 7 digits of your VIN in there, it should select your model, when you then hit 'Browse Parts'.
Scroll down to Vehicle Electrical System, then to Switch Unit Steering Column. This page will then show you the applicable SZL's for your car, but you need to know what specification you already have - in my case I have a 2012 Countryman with no Xenon lights & no Rain Sensor - so the correct part for me is 61319253767. My car had 61319253763 from the factory, which does not support the MFSW (apparently). I bought the correct part from Ebay for £50 ($65) but the main dealer wanted a lot more than that - over £300.
Just to repeat what Tom says above, all replacement SZL's support MFSW, but not everything out of the factory did - even though you can physically plug in MFSW buttons on an older SZL.
I hope this helps.
Help me understand this a little bit better - the OEMparts site shows you the 'correct' part for your car yet you say you had a different part # (-63 vs -67) So I assume you purchased a part ending in 67 but how did you know that it supported MFSW?

In my case, the OEMparts listing shows the 'correct' part for mine to end in 69 and while I can find that part on ebay, how do I know that isn't already what's in my car?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pdeinc
Help me understand this a little bit better
​​​​​​
For the reason you are confused, I never referenced my VIN when looking up the part number I wanted. ​​​​You can use the VIN to get to the correct year and model.

You just need to make sure you get an SZL that is compatible with your cars features. Specifically, does it have DSC? Does it have a rain sensor?

Find a part number compatible with your features and you should be good. I didn't know real oem only listed MFSW compatible part numbers but it makes sense. You should have multiple different part number options available to you, since the part number varied from year to year.

Oh by the way, if you're concerned about buying the correct one, pop off your steering wheel and read the part number off your existing SZL. That should help you as your learning to read the chart. At a minimum it'll tell you one part number NOT to buy!

GL

The following users liked this post:
pdeinc (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
​​​​​​
~snip
I didn't know real oem only listed MFSW compatible part numbers but it makes sense. You should have multiple different part number options available to you, since the part number varied from year to year.
GL
That tidbit of information makes all the difference, thanks!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
I fitted the latest correct SZL for my R57 using REALOEM as a referrence. My DSC and brake lights are on, indicators do not reset and hill start is deactivated. Edit to remove what could be wrong advice. I will attempt to calibrate the steering angle sensor and clear faults. If it works I will post details.

Last edited by Scudder44; 10-18-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:17 AM
bfleming
Neutral
Originally Posted by pdeinc
Help me understand this a little bit better - the OEMparts site shows you the 'correct' part for your car yet you say you had a different part # (-63 vs -67) So I assume you purchased a part ending in 67 but how did you know that it supported MFSW?

In my case, the OEMparts listing shows the 'correct' part for mine to end in 69 and while I can find that part on ebay, how do I know that isn't already what's in my car?
OK, when you open RealOEM.com, which is populated with information from BMW, & find the steering switch page, there's a note at the top that says:
i Important:
Please also use the MFSW version as
replacement on vehicles without MFSW.

This means BMW only make a MFSW version of the switch now, and irrespective whether or not your car has a MFSW, you should use this part.
If you're worried about what SZL part number you have at the moment, remove your airbag (30 seconds) and steering wheel (another minute) and have a look at the SZL part number.
This 100% needs coding once installed, both telling the car you now have the MFSW option installed, and reprogramming your steering angle sensor.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:20 AM
bfleming
Neutral
Originally Posted by Scudder44
I fitted the latest correct SZL for my R57 using REALOEM as a referrence. My DSC and brake lights are on, indicators do not reset and hill start is deactivated. These are all symptoms that the new SZL requires programming and the steering angle reset. This is either a friendly BMW garage or dealer thing (unless you are very familiar with ISTA-p and have a heavy duty battery charger).So, if your DSC, etc is the same, it does not mean you ahve the wrong part, it means your new SZL does not have the VIN coded to it which is essential for DSC to see it and the angle needs reset.
There is no VIN coding on the SZL (there is on the DSC, but you're not concerned about that). All those lights you have are simply the steering angle sensor that needs calibration. As long as the battery is in good health, there's no need for the heavy duty battery charger - or any battery charger. It takes 10 mins total (I use INPA), so just make sure things like lights (external & internal), blower, radio etc etc are all off.
You need to add the MFSW option to your VO too, telling all the cars modules you now have a MFSW.
There are loads of vendors selling INPA or ISTA-p, and loads of online tutorials on coding. The biggest issue seems to be installing the software on your laptop, but once it's installed properly, you're good to go.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Cool. Thanks bfleming. Dealer told me SZL VIN writing but am not surprised!!! He has me booked in for 23rd Oct to do it. I have INPA at home but yet to get it working correctly as I cannot find any data file in the datens I have downloaded. I will keep trying and hope to avoid dealer at all. USed NCSEpert to add $249 to VO CAS and FRM and changed the necessary active lines. MFSW works perfectly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel