Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 AM
minigirl78
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
Instructions for taking off the airbag here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=109892

Thanks!

And yes the radio is really close, and you don't really NEED cc, BUT if you drive as much as I do it is really a nice convenience...and can keep me out of speeding tickets, as I like to drive fast and my little Mini has only made that habit of mine worse.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinminict
OK everyone. I finally got a chance to get to the inner guts of my steering wheel.

I have a 3 spoke steeringwheel without Multifunction. There was a debate if you could add Multifunction Switches to the steering wheel if it does not have it.

I took my airbag cover off and the L&R Cover plates where the Multifunction Switches would go and there is pre-installed in the steering wheel a Male connector for the Multifunction switches!!!!!

I am going to order the Multifunction Switches from MINI and install them and then have my Local Dealer Re-Program the computer so itll activate it. Exactly what someone else did as well and it worked. I just wanted to verify the male connector was pre-wired.

Here are some photos of my steering wheel. The Connector Circled in RED is the one for the Multifunction Switches switch. The one circled in BLUE is what the Air Bag connects to.

I will buy this part number 32306773645 it's #2 in the diagram from RealOEM.com then I'll have cruise and radio controlls.

I have PM'ed you!

I have the same connectors... so I am pretty curious if it worked out OK

Let us know! :D

Coen

Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Wobert
Neutral
Any news on this......??

If you add the steering wheel switches do the radio controls work straight off, or do they have to be programmed as per the cruise control, controls?

Cheers,

Wobert

Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wobert
Any news on this......??

If you add the steering wheel switches do the radio controls work straight off, or do they have to be programmed as per the cruise control, controls?

Cheers,

Wobert
Any updates on this ?.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
I don't know if it can be done or not. But be sure you know exactly what you're doing before you start working around the airbag in the center of the steering wheel...

Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 PM
95010bro
1st Gear
UPDATE???

Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 AM
jlboockh
Neutral
KevinMiniCT, how did this turn out? Did it work after the dealer reprogrammed tthe computer?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Also does this part number work on the manual [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]32309200098?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 AM
jlboockh
Neutral
Porthos, apparently KevinCT no longer reads this thread. I found other NAM threads where this was done successfully. See https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...w-wheel-2.html and https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-control.html . I have ordered the part and will give it a try.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
This post shows that Part # 32309200098 is correct for MINIs with Automatics - but does not confirm for cars with manual transmissions.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...w-wheel-2.html

Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Ya I am waiting for some more confirmation before I do this. Cause I want this bad like pass up other mods bad.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 AM
jlboockh
Neutral
I called both dealers in Houston and each told me that the MFSW cannot be installed on my '08 automatic. So I ordered Part # 32309200098 and installed it myself. Then I took it to Momentum Mini and they programmed the car's computer to recognize the MFSW. The cruise and radio buttons work fine now. The mechanic did not laugh when I offered to show him how to do it.

The hardest problem was getting the old steering wheel inserts off. They are held in place by bolts that enter the spoke from behind. I ended up breaking the old inserts to remove them. Also, the four prong socket where I plugged in the MFSW switches was used by the Steptronic paddles. So I had to unplug them and left them attached but not working.

The part replacement took about 2 hours and the dealer charged me $300. It was worth it.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
So ya it does not work on all cars. Just because you have the hook up does not mean you can hook up MFSW. I did the same thing and hooked the buttons up, I went to the dealership to have it programmed and it would not recognize the buttons because it needs what they said was a SZL module which is BMW for something in here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=35&hl=8 I am now trying to get one used because that is way to expensive.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlboockh
I called both dealers in Houston and each told me that the MFSW cannot be installed on my '08 automatic. So I ordered Part # 32309200098 and installed it myself. Then I took it to Momentum Mini and they programmed the car's computer to recognize the MFSW. The cruise and radio buttons work fine now. The mechanic did not laugh when I offered to show him how to do it.

The hardest problem was getting the old steering wheel inserts off. They are held in place by bolts that enter the spoke from behind. I ended up breaking the old inserts to remove them. Also, the four prong socket where I plugged in the MFSW switches was used by the Steptronic paddles. So I had to unplug them and left them attached but not working.

The part replacement took about 2 hours and the dealer charged me $300. It was worth it.
What year is your MINI?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
11/2007 build

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
jlboockh
Neutral
Porthos, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Hang in there--we can figure this out.

Does your mini have an automatic transmission or a manual one? The photo of a succcessful installation on NAM is of an automatic transmission like mine.

My gut reaction to your problem is: try another Mini dealer. We just cannot most auto dealerships.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Well I talked to MINIUSA on the phone yesterday and they told me to sit down with SA and find out exactly what is going on. The other thing about a dealership is the closest one is Orlando and I don't want to drive 2hr to ask them a question. I might call them though and see if they can help me. I am going to figure this out. After looking at that parts guide I don't think I need to replace everything I think that I can get just the $89 dollar part and that is all I need but, when I talk to the dealership about it I will find out then.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
i tried this about 1 year and a half ago...i bought a full smfsw in the EE for $150. get my old one off, pre-wired Great. had heard that some cars were pre-programmed and some not. plug it in, doesnt work. no biggie take it to mini of peabody, they say they can do it for the programming labor. so i sit in the waiting area and a litle while later the tech comes out and says they cant do it because there is another part that is needed. i think he called it a balance plate. it was some sort of circuit board that would be needed in the steering column. he said they could order it, but it would be about $650. so needless to say, it can be done..if you have the dough.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Well I talked to MINIUSA on the phone yesterday and they told me to sit down with SA and find out exactly what is going on. The other thing about a dealership is the closest one is Orlando and I don't want to drive 2hr to ask them a question. I might call them though and see if they can help me. I am going to figure this out. After looking at that parts guide I don't think I need to replace everything I think that I can get just the $89 dollar part and that is all I need but, when I talk to the dealership about it I will find out then.

Thanks for keeping us MFSW wantabees update.. I pulling for your success!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by clayvt
i tried this about 1 year and a half ago...i bought a full smfsw in the EE for $150. get my old one off, pre-wired Great. had heard that some cars were pre-programmed and some not. plug it in, doesnt work. no biggie take it to mini of peabody, they say they can do it for the programming labor. so i sit in the waiting area and a litle while later the tech comes out and says they cant do it because there is another part that is needed. i think he called it a balance plate. it was some sort of circuit board that would be needed in the steering column. he said they could order it, but it would be about $650. so needless to say, it can be done..if you have the dough.
Ya I got the you need to purchase the $500 part also but that is the whole steering column I don't think that I would have to replace it. I am going to go talk to them during the week and find out what I can do or what I need to do.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
OKAY, No more MFSW fear mongering....heres the real deal.

I just went through this last month....all i needed to do was purchase 2 things, and 1 hr of programming. you DO NOT need to buy a whole new steering wheel....you just need the multi-function switches, they are $171 from www.allminiparts.com, also you may need to replace the Switch assembly that runs the Wipers and Signal lights...i negotiated that price at the Dealer for $398....then all you need is to have them activate it and you are good to go....

Now that being said, Have them see if they can program it first without buying the signal light assembly, some cars have the right one, mine just didnt....Dont let the dealer talk you into 2 hrs for the program, thats BS....tell them that you will only pay for an hour.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
Also, i did confirm that the Signal Light Switch assembly they replaced was a different part number. If you need to replace it, make sure you ask for the old parts back, you can sell them on Ebay.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 AM
MG2542
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mickeyR57sparkling
I just went through this last month....all i needed to do was purchase 2 things, and 1 hr of programming. you DO NOT need to buy a whole new steering wheel....you just need the multi-function switches, they are $171 from www.allminiparts.com, also you may need to replace the Switch assembly that runs the Wipers and Signal lights...i negotiated that price at the Dealer for $398....then all you need is to have them activate it and you are good to go....
How did you know which switches you needed to get? I'm looking at realoem.com and see 3 different part numbers but can't figure out with one I would need.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 AM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
Number 2 in this assembly is what you need, the different part numbers apply to the year and make of your car.

http://www.allminiparts.com/showAsse...sembly=f_t_235

Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 AM
MG2542
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mickeyR57sparkling
Number 2 in this assembly is what you need, the different part numbers apply to the year and make of your car.

http://www.allminiparts.com/showAsse...sembly=f_t_235
Ah. I didn't see that Up to column. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel