Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Coil Pack vs. Plasma Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 AM
papalugo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Pack vs. Plasma Booster

Does anyone have experience with a Screamin' Demon Coil Pack, the MSD Ignition Coil Pack, and the Plasma Booster? Here's the skinny:

I use to have the Plasma Booster from Ignition Solutions which I bought through Mini Mania. It was awesome! Increased mpg and power. The car ran smooth, especially after the Shark Injector, CAI, Magnecor cables, Iridium plugs, and the 15% pulley.

After 30 days the car had a weird hesitation and the Engine Light turned on. Several trips to the dealership came up with no error. So I decided to take off the plasma booster and no issue for several days. So I return the item to Mini Mania with no problems. After a couple of weeks the same issue. I start looking and I found the problem. Installing the "t" wire conectors, I had severed one of the three wires from the coil pack.

Now the dilema is, should I spend $250+ for a plasma booster again or is a Coil Pack comparable in performance? We are talking almost $150 difference! :impatient If I understand how they work, the plasma booster provides multiple sparks = longer duration; and the coil pack is a hotter spark. They both = power and efficiency (depending on how heavy your foot is). But which one = MORE POWER? I need your opinions on this. Thxs!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
minimadness
1st Gear
I'd like to know the answer to your question as well.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
CarGuyNeil
2nd Gear
Me too! Answers, we want answers!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:29 AM
nascar mini
4th Gear
Why not do both?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
I had the Plasma Booster on my car, and when it went bad it took out my ECU. Which in turn left me with a none moving car and a hefty Bill. I know it was this as when we took the ECU apart all the Ignition Resistors where fried and I mean that literally. It back fed into my ECU. When I took it off I threw at a wall!!!! That is all it is good for. Don't waste your money on either, stick to your stock Leads, Coil pack. Their are plenty of mini's making insane power on these and if you speak to Jan at RMW he will tell you the same. I to also had to resolder the wires on the coil pack cause it did the same thing to mine. Save your money up and put it towards a mod that actually works

Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The funny thing with the stock coil is its price. I don't know how but it costs more than the MSD etc here.

Despite a very tiny rust formation on cyl #3 output, I am not changing my stock coil yet. But would any of you recommend to go for the "cheaper" aftermarket super-sophisticated version?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I am running the MSD, no problems. Was used as a cheaper replacement for the stock due to corrosion on the the 3 output....very common I guess!!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
guess I wont be buying that "booster" after all...nor the coil pack for that matter. Would upgrading the plug wires/spark plugs cause any potential harm such as the above?
Am considering either the denso or ngk iridium plugs and the kings(?) plug wires. forgot what kind but they come in blue/yellow/red and are found at outmotoring.com

Old 10-16-2009, 04:07 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I got the coil pack, cheaper than stock, MSD, not really necessary unless you have a reason to do it....like corrosion or defect. Some like the Screamin'Demon....either one may help a tiny bit, and the MSD does look nice ....but the increase in hp is pretty marginal by most reports.
As for wires I got mine directly from Kingsborne, saved some real $$$. No fire sleaving or fire braiding or what ever they call it like Outmotoring or Mini Mania, but a good deal still if you miles are getting up there. The cables on our cars are pretty short, so I doubt spark-plug cables make too much of a diff though. It is nice looking like the MSD coil though and it sure cannot hurt!!
For spark plugs, IMO stay away from the Denso's. I tried to order them and The great folks at WayMotorWorks changed my mind. Basically said they have a much shorter life than promised, and if you do so research, there are lots of reports of them getting blown-out of MINI heads (sure there are others, but Denos's it would seem in a much higher percentage)....if you go to Denso's website, they no longer list a part for mini.....go figure. Mot popular is NGK, mostly 1 colder if you are running a pulley, and most people say get the iridium.
I have heard mostly hype about the Plasma booster, and a few Horror stories about it....with incidental stories of wow. Helix motor-sports in PA (www.helix13.com/mini/products) has a good story debunking plasma booster and "hot-wire" their website. Good luck!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 10-16-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling and general clarity, added Helix13 website
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
spike33
1st Gear
coil pack

so is good or not good get a msd or screamin coil pack as a mod?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Just buy the Denso plugs, MSD ignition, Nology HotWires and the Plasma Booster for all that extra power you will need a tune like the UNIChip.

I am just kidding
Denso are know to FAIL on MINIs, I would suggest NKG Iridium IX, NKG JCW plugs, or Brisk plugs. Stock coil works fine even with Head, Cams, Pulley and Headers. I would only suggest the Scremin Deamon if your oem coil goes bad and you cannot afford a new oem coil. I would not consider it a mod, more of a replacement. Only reason I do not like the MSD is that they reqiure you to use non-oem bolts AND they DO NOT provide them, goes to show that the MSD is not engineered for the MINI? As for wires, stock ones will hold up well, no need for Nology HotWires, Live Wires, MSD Super Conductors, or any of those $100+ wires. Any of the $40-60 wires like Kingsbourn, Jackson and OEM Blue Wires will work the same. As for the Plasma BoosterFAIL No Comment Snake Oil. The UNIChip, FAIL No Comment as well, other than go for a pro tune a.k.a. custom dyno tune.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 02-06-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:16 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spike33
so is good or not good get a msd or screamin coil pack as a mod?
The RED MSD coil will look nice.....the black screamin demon coil looks stock. If you want some bling, the MSD looks nice (my care idles more smoothly after the swap...but I DID have corrosion on the OEM one)....but like has been discussed many times, unless the stock coil has a problem...like a defect of some type...many get serious corrosion on the #3 connector...they are made from nickel plated steel...so cleaning the connector is a loosing battle....So I chose the MSD....nice look, cheaper than stock, and it MIGHT help a tiny bit....most likely BARELY testable on a dino...in either case. I know the MSD uses BRASS connectors, big plus, and if you buy it from a vendor, I think MOST of them are supplying new bolts to bolt on the coil...so it looks OEM, and is quick and easy. If they don't..the bolts will cost you $.75 a local hardware store...no biggy.
Some vendors have it posted that sparkplug gaps must be increased when the scremin demon coil is used with non-multi tipped spark-plugs....some do not.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 AM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Stick with Stock and you can't go wrong!!! Why change it, just look at what cars are putting down on the stock Coil and Plug wires. They are just hype and somewhere to make you spend your money. Take that money and put it towards a good tune.