Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Electric window acting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:54 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric window acting up

hey guys,

my driver side window stopped working yesterday. toggled the switch and all i got were pairs of faint clicks, one seemed to be from center console, the other from door. it wouldn't roll down when i open the door either. but just after i got back home (after ~1hr), it started to work again! i'm perplexed

my worst fear is that someone tried to slimjim into my car and severed some connections. it was parked on a big well-lit street, and there's no sign of it looking at the rubbers on the door, but you never know

any idea what else could've caused this? an electric gremlin?

just ordered the bentley manual on amazon but won't get it for another month so if this happens again i'm gonna have to live w/ it...just as long as it's not stuck open

Old 05-04-2007, 05:54 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MINIs window motor is infamous for this failure mode.
Believe this fix:
Click the switch to roll the window down - at the very same moment THUMP the door panel just below the handle you use to open it / above the bottom speaker.
This will jog the motor into life. It will fail again, more frequently over time, until this THUMP trick won't work any more.
If you've still got warranty, get a new motor (and then don't do the THUMP fix, in case the dealership doesn't then believe you!)

Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
I have JUST under 50000 miles on my 2004 and I have logged 2 new driver's side motors so far. Like Tom Jones sang, "It's not unusual..."

The first time it failed it was DOWN. Luckily the dealer was open and I took it in right away. The second time it went up one more time, and then I didn't mess with it again until I get it into the dealer. I didn't want it DOWN when it finally went completely OUT in case I couldn't get it closed.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
And if you must pay for it ....

And if this fails and you must pay for the fix

standby for heavy rolls

expect to pay over $500 to replace a motor via the dealer ....

I don't know how hard this would be to do one's self, after buying the motor, but next time I 'll be tempted to find out.

ouch.

Mine was flakey for about a year before it finally gave up the ghost.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Jeez!!

$500!!??

Tempts one to find out if some longer-lasting sort of simple manual cranking contraption could be used in place of the electric motor, doesn't it?:impatient

Hmmm. I wonder what such a contraption might look like? Doi you think someone might be able to come up with a great invention like that?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Thanks for the "thump fix" trick Ian. It worked great on my driver's door window (which had a new motor installed less than 1 year ago). While I have a new motor on order, I was not looking forward to tearing into the door panel after just recently replacing the lock module on the pass. side. Hopefully this quick fix will buy me a few weeks.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM
jspears05
Neutral
Does anyone have an idea how difficult it would be to DIY and replace the passenger side window motor? My window stopped working yesterday but I havent tried the "thump" trick yet. Second, if the passenger door is locked, the door handle will not unlock it, I have to flip the switch. Any ideas?? Please and I am also out of warranty. Since I will probably be keeping this car until it dies, I dont mind doing it myself and I am not crazy about spending $$$$$ at a ripoff dealer. Thanks for you help in advance.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
I watched them do mine a while back after "thumping" wouldn't fix it anymore. Somethign about tiny plastic bits that get into the motor causing it to not work. The only special tool is the thin spanner that slides down between the window and the inner molding.

....Les