Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

World Record?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the 9:30 meet up at the Madison MINIs still in the plans?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 AM
lapshoffman
2nd Gear
Mike: No problem, we'll be in touch.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM
ICMINIME
Neutral
newbies going to M on the M

My wife Kim and I are staying at Comfort Inn Beachfront in St. I.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MINI
Is the 9:30 meet up at the Madison MINIs still in the plans?
Good question. I originally proposed 9:30 in Madison because I didn't want to force the QC area people to crawl out from under the sheets at an ungodly early hour. Now it seems as though the folks who I had in mind are "earlier birds" than originally thought!

I'm perfectly fine with abandoning the 9:30 am Madison rendezvous in favor of 6:30 am at our typical Dubuque meet-up spot. I'm betting that's probably okay with you guys too.

If you agree, I'll need to let johnstonejc know about the change to see if they can handle a 5 am departure...

Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by ICMINIME
My wife Kim and I are staying at Comfort Inn Beachfront in St. I.
Welcome to our NAM Forum Bob and Kim! It's great that you can join us for this trip. The fact that your first post is conveying your intention to join us for some MINI fun is, in my book, totally awesome.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Gil-galad
So based on conversations and agreements during last Saturday's Detailing Day event, it looks like we're going to abandon the previously idea of a 9:30 am Madison rendezvous in favor of joining our other EIM mates at 6:30 am on Friday, 8/2 in Dubuque. We'll be meeting up at one of our favorite meet-up spots there -- in the Wendy's parking lot on East 16th Street, just prior to crossing over the US-151 bridge into Wisconsin (take the Kerper Blvd exit to the right from northbound US-151) - Location Map <-- link.

The Wendy's will be closed at that hour but there is a BP station right next door with ready access to fuel, snacks, libations, and restrooms.

(for johnstonejc - hope this isn't too much of a hardship for you)

Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
I see the Tunnel of Trees is very nearby. I know there is a music festival and such after the parade but depending on the timing we may try to drive it.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM
johnstonejc
Neutral
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
So based on conversations and agreements during last Saturday's Detailing Day event, it looks like we're going to abandon the previously idea of a 9:30 am Madison rendezvous in favor of joining our other EIM mates at 6:30 am on Friday, 8/2 in Dubuque. We'll be meeting up at one of our favorite meet-up spots there -- in the Wendy's parking lot on East 16th Street, just prior to crossing over the US-151 bridge into Wisconsin (take the Kerper Blvd exit to the right from northbound US-151) - Location Map <-- link.

The Wendy's will be closed at that hour but there is a BP station right next door with ready access to fuel, snacks, libations, and restrooms.

(for johnstonejc - hope this isn't too much of a hardship for you)
Sounds like a plan. We will meet everyone in Dubuque @6:30. Looking forward to it.

John and Tina

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Gil-galad
Did an oil and filter change today, rotated the tires, and made a couple of new additions to the interior () ... all ready to make the transit north to MOTM this coming Friday.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
ChicagoRus
2nd Gear
I hope I get a chance to meet some of you up there. Look for a Red Roadster with a big fat S on the bonnet and come over and say hello. If you meet up with any other Chicago Mini members please ask for me.
Cheers - Rus

Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 AM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope I get a chance to meet some of you up there. Look for a Red Roadster with a big fat S on the bonnet and come over and say hello. If you meet up with any other Chicago Mini members please ask for me.
Yea.. me too, except for the part about the roadster ;-)

Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Gil-galad
Just realized that the big, annual EAA Airventure is going on in Oshkosh the week and through the weekend. I imagine there will some traffic congestion on US-41 tomorrow as we attempt to "fly" through.

Alternatively we could try staying on US-151 on the east side of Lake Winnebago to Chilton and then WI-32/WI-57 up to Green Bay. It's about 15 minutes longer length-wise but might be worth considering.

Any thoughts?

(I think I'll start packing...)

Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM
lapshoffman
2nd Gear
Just realized that the big, annual EAA Airventure is going on in Oshkosh the week and through the weekend. I imagine there will some traffic congestion on US-41 tomorrow as we attempt to "fly" through.

Alternatively we could try staying on US-151 on the east side of Lake Winnebago to Chilton and then WI-32/WI-57 up to Green Bay. It's about 15 minutes longer length-wise but might be worth considering.

Any thoughts?

(I think I'll start packing...)
Sounds good. You can show us the way... We are bringing radio's, everybody else too?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by lapshoffman
Sounds good. You can show us the way... We are bringing radio's, everybody else too?
Mine are charging up as we speak. I'll bring my spare along as a loaner.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Gil-galad
My pics from the trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmm57/s...7634928575139/

Not a WR, but the largest gathering of MINIs ever held in the U.S. isn't too bad either. And regardless of the numbers, it was another fabulously fun time with all of our EIM mates. Great trip!

Enjoyed meeting Mike's son Lance, and Bob's son Josh too. Thanks for joining us!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 PM
RACobbs
1st Gear
My pics from the trip:

Not a WR, but the largest gathering of MINIs ever held in the U.S. isn't too bad either. And regardless of the numbers, it was another fabulously fun time with all of our EIM mates. Great trip!

Enjoyed meeting Mike's son Lance, and Bob's son Josh too. Thanks for joining us!
Glad we were able to meet up with the group. Josh and I had a great time. Great pictures

Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
My pics from the trip:

Great photos! Really sorry we had to miss it.

Did you find out what a Yooperman is??

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I CHA 3X
2nd Gear
Hi all, new owner here and just found this site on Friday....too late for me to make the mack trip but I was wondering if this was an annual adventure? if yes, please post the date as soon as possible so i can plan far ahead.
thanks,

Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by 05MINI
Great photos! Really sorry we had to miss it.

Did you find out what a Yooperman is??
Actually, I didn't get that far. We had our minds squarely focused on pasties--mostly on the local "to be eaten" variety but also the ones that are pronounced differently that strippers use. To that end, Cindy had some really interesting stories to tell...

I did learn from the more experienced folk that a "yooper" is slang for someone from the Upper Peninsula (i.e., a "U.P.er").

We sure missed you folks. I'll bring your bag of registration goodies down on Saturday.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
densan57
2nd Gear
Actually, I didn't get that far. We had our minds squarely focused on pasties--mostly on the local "to be eaten" variety but also the ones that are pronounced differently that strippers use. To that end, Cindy had some really interesting stories to tell...

I did learn from the more experienced folk that a "yooper" is slang for someone from the Upper Peninsula (i.e., a "U.P.er").

We sure missed you folks. I'll bring your bag of registration goodies down on Saturday.
A great time was had by all, but we really missed Tom & Linda!

Great pictures as usual, Gary.

A Yooperman is a double sized pastie. At least at that cafe it was.

We're ready for the next adventure (Holy Cross Parade) and the MiniCooper Keweenaw Cruise next August in Copper Harbor, MI, sounds like a good candidate for a club ride.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I CHA 3X
2nd Gear
Yooper is a form of North Central American English mostly spoken in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which gives the dialect its name (from "U.P." for Upper Peninsula). The dialect is also found in many northern areas of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan and largely in Northeast Wisconsin.
Yooper differs from standard English primarily because of the linguistic background of settlers to the area. The majority of people living in the Upper Peninsula are of either Finnish, French Canadian, Flemish, Scandinavian, German, or Native American descent. Yooper is so massively influenced by these areas' languages that speakers from other areas may have difficulty understanding it. The Yooper dialect is also influenced by the Finnish language making it similar in character to the so-called "Rayncher speek" of the Mesabi Iron Range in northeast Minnesota.

hey is this an annual attempt? I just joined the MINI gang 2 months ago and found out about this on Friday.