Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM Plans for MTTS 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EIM Plans for MTTS 2012

Started this thread in response to the friendly prodding by MeenieMom.

Planning on participating in MTTS? Post a reply here; let us know where you plan to start and end.

Made lodging arrangements? Let us know where you plan to stay. I suspect we may be spread out, as there's no unique draw to the MTTS-designated hotels other than being with "the crowd" and some may want to stay further out from downtown to find better rates.

As for me, I plan on participating from the Sunday evening event in Chicago through the Rise and Shine in Des Moines on Tuesday morning. Lodging for me is still TBD at this time.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
we reserved a room with the crowd!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by JPMM
we reserved a room with the crowd!
Jim, are you staying overnight in Chicago too, or just Des Moines?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've registered for Chicago to Des Moines, but plans are (if the route goes through Galena) to overnight there and pickup the group as they come by.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
we were not planning to go to Chicago, just hooking up where ever they cross the border.

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Jim, are you staying overnight in Chicago too, or just Des Moines?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan to join in Chicago and go to Des Moines (maybe Lincoln). No place to sleep, yet.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
D3m0N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan the Chicago to Desmoines with overnights in Chicago and DesMoines

Old 04-12-2012, 04:59 PM
MeenieMom
2nd Gear
My reservations are in for Chicago/Des Moines/Lincoln. I'd love to go farther, but not much enthusiasm from my support network here to keep going...guess I'll get to head back that way in August, anyway.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
just reserved a place for us during the evening party in des Moines

Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
MeenieMom
2nd Gear
I haven't seen anything about the evening plans in Des Moines...where did you find it?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
it was there when I registered

Originally Posted by MeenieMom
I haven't seen anything about the evening plans in Des Moines...where did you find it?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
should I wear my pirate oufit?

RRRGG dar matey!

just reserved a place for us during the evening party in des Moines

Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
So where will the multitude of Minis be crossing the Mississippi? We need a time and place to rendezvous. The map seems a little vague.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Gil-galad
One of the MINI USA planners flew into Chicago yesterday and is pre-driving the route from Chicago to Galena this morning (5/15). Greg B. and Roger S. will be meeting him for lunch in Dubuque, after which they will all be pre-driving the route across Iowa that we recommended a couple of months ago (Dubuque/Field of Dreams/Amana Colonies/Newton/Des Moines).

I imagine it won't be too long before we receive some sort of feedback on their receptiveness to the route. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Jeez you could have recommended driving through Clinton!
Will there be stops along the way?

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
One of the MINI USA planners flew into Chicago yesterday and is pre-driving the route from Chicago to Galena this morning (5/15). Greg B. and Roger S. will be meeting him for lunch in Dubuque, after which they will all be pre-driving the route across Iowa that we recommended a couple of months ago (Dubuque/Field of Dreams/Amana Colonies/Newton/Des Moines).

I imagine it won't be too long before we receive some sort of feedback on their receptiveness to the route. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Gil-galad
***Here are some paraphrased notes from Greg regarding yesterday's lengthy MTTS route pre-drive:

1. Galena will be an official stop. The MTTS rep was really impressed. Dubuque will probably also be listed as a good place for a meal stop.

2. The primary route will likely be US-151 from Dubuque to the Amana Colonies, then Amana to Newton via US-6, then dropping down to I-80 at the Iowa Speedway and heading to Des Moines from there.

3. The
Amanas will likely be a main 'surprise & delight' stop. The MTTS rep was impressed with it and felt that people will want to spend time exploring there.

4. Dubuque to Dyersville and the Field of Dreams will be an alternate route for baseball and movie fans. They loved the US-52 route from Dubuque to Holy Cross but were concerned about some of the tricky turns on the route south on Holy Cross Road (I guess not everyone is into the twisties! ). They were somewhat underwhelmed at the Field of Dreams site.

5. US-151 on the east side of Cedar Rapids/Marion was quite congested with lots of truck traffic. Greg and Roger suggested the IA-1 at Anamosa to Mount Vernon and US-30 and then westward as an option. **Since they didn't get to drive this, they're looking for someone local to confirm that this road is okay (i.e., no construction, bridges out, etc.). We need a volunteer who can check this out ASAP!**
Edit#1: lapshoffman is presently on his way out to pre-drive the IA-1 leg (thanks!)
Edit#2: Larry reported back that the route is acceptable (thanks again!) and same has been passed on to MINI USA, so this will likely become part of the main route

6. Since US-151 will be the primary route, they are going to research the National Motorcycle Museum at Anamosa and a couple other things along the way which might get listed as side trips.

7. The ultimate goal is to get people to Des Moines for an event that is planning to start at 6 pm. Details still being worked out, but food is being considered.

8. Current event counts as of this afternoon -- Chicago = 300 people, Des Moines = 238 people, Lincoln = 170 people. 90 people are signed up for the whole coast-to-coast trip so far.

9. Today they will be checking out a variety of options in Central and Western Iowa. There have been special requests to see Albert the Bull, so that is expected to be an official stop. The MTTS folks are also interested in learning more about the Loess Hills, so they will do some exploring there, too.

10. The Lincoln event is current planned to happen from 1 pm to 6 pm -- so there will be some pressure to have a quick trip from Des Moines to Lincoln.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 05-16-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Perfect, I'm joining up in Galena - I wonder what the plans are for the Iowa Speedway, It's probably to many cars to let us go around, but would be a nice place for a photoshoot.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
me too, see you there

Originally Posted by OVREZY
Perfect, I'm joining up in Galena - I wonder what the plans are for the Iowa Speedway, It's probably to many cars to let us go around, but would be a nice place for a photoshoot.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
heres an idea for the stay over sites.In the morning the offical MINI rep, the head honcho, the big banana,,, should bless each 2007+ Mini off listening as they start for no "death rattle" ,
thumbs up or thumbs down

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Little Rebel
1st Gear
I am planning on meeting the crowd when they cross the Big River and going all the way to LA! Not sure if I'm gonna have a co-pilot or not....have to wait and see but no matter. Two way radio, plenty of CD's and away we go!! LA or Bust!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
WOWE

Originally Posted by Little Rebel
I am planning on meeting the crowd when they cross the Big River and going all the way to LA! Not sure if I'm gonna have a co-pilot or not....have to wait and see but no matter. Two way radio, plenty of CD's and away we go!! LA or Bust!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
this is becoming an adventure!

We're staying at the The View Sunday nite July 8th ,its really cool, owned by a former Brit, and we can watch cars go by in the afternoon and nite . We need fill up thier rooms( old style pull up in front rooms )with Mini owners

http://theviewmotel.net/

Last edited by JPMM; 05-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Gil-galad
We're staying at the The View Sunday nite July 8th, its really cool, owned by a former Brit, and we can watch cars go by in the afternoon and nite. We need fill up their rooms ( old style pull up in front rooms ) with Mini owners
You're a good salesman Jim. Just made my reservation there for the 8th.

I had originally planned on Chicago, but looking at my schedule I think a Galena start will be easier for me to accommodate than trying for downtown Windy City kick-off. See ya there.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Gil-galad
This is still unofficial, but based on the pre-driving done this week by Greg and Roger in company with the MINI USA rep, this is what I believe will be the official MTTS 2012 route from Galena to Des Moines for the 7/9 transit:

http://g.co/maps/bhh7y

Galena and the Amana Colonies will be highlighted as stops warranting additional local exploration by the MINI faithful.

Quick Reply: EIM Plans for MTTS 2012