Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM Wintertime Chat Room

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deanman
I threw together a few of the EIM Calendar pics from the last three years. It's fun to try and recall where the pictures were taken. The 2012 motoring season is going to be great fun! Hope to see you, soon.

http://youtu.be/u0E9SuD8fDE
Wonderful video Daryl!
Happy New Year to all my MINI friends out there!
I apologize for the lack of attention I've been giving this site but I've had some stuff going on. Don't worry it's mostly good stuff.
I'll save that fireside chat for another time.
xoxoMINIoxox

Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 AM
TasmanianBlu
3rd Gear
I threw together a few of the EIM Calendar pics from the last three years. It's fun to try and recall where the pictures were taken. The 2012 motoring season is going to be great fun! Hope to see you, soon.

http://youtu.be/u0E9SuD8fDE

Enjoyed the retro journey through EIM MINI history. GREAT WORK Daryl

Hope everyone is off to the start of a great 2012.

We ended 2011 with some maintenance on Taz including a new oxygen sensor and new front disks & pads for the brakes. No worry though...
All under warranty and taken care of by one of our own, Jeremiah at MINI of Des Moines.
Took care of Taz in style and we got to drive a 2012 Countyman S All4 stick. WooHOOoooo Thanks Miah!!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 AM
deanman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Smokin' Jo
I apologize for the lack of attention I've been giving this site but I've had some stuff going on. Don't worry it's mostly good stuff.
I'll save that fireside chat for another time.
xoxoMINIoxox
We've missed, you! I hope you get back in the loop, soon! We have MINI events to attend, you know!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
Gary, great video---what a terrific bunch of mini's we have in EIM's. We really look forward to cruising this summer with the group. Happy new year to all!!!
Ron & loretta

Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RSchleder
Gary, great video---what a terrific bunch of mini's we have in EIM's. We really look forward to cruising this summer with the group. Happy new year to all!!!
Ron & loretta
It's always a treat when Daryl shares his creative talents with us.

I think I figured out the exact location of all but three of the pictures in that clip (but I have an unfair advantage because of my participation in assembling the calendar pics)...

#1. The musical notes wall painting behind Mike's former blue JCW -- now owned by kmic -- at 1:26? (Somewhere in the Quad Cities, I think)
#2. Rob and Lisa's old MINI in front of the mermaid backdrop at 2:01 -- not sure where that was taken
#3. Tim and Jan's MINI in front of the beautiful fall colored tree at 2:11 (no clue as to the location; probably over in IL somewhere)

The rest of 'em I have nailed.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Gil-galad
I was spelunking on the MNDOT web pages today and discovered that, supposedly, MN-76 between Caledonia and Houston was resurfaced during the summer/fall of '11. I've never included this road in our past drives because the road surface condition was such a disaster. Rough enough to mushroom strut towers and rattle teeth.

If this news is actually true, it means there may be a brand new stretch of superb--and now smooth--twisties on the menu for the April Border Skirmish Drive. I can't wait to do a recon and check it out.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I was spelunking on the MNDOT web pages today and discovered that, supposedly, MN-76 between Caledonia and Houston was resurfaced during the summer/fall of '11. I've never included this road in our past drives because the road surface condition was such a disaster. Rough enough to mushroom strut towers and rattle teeth.

If this news is actually true, it means there may be a brand new stretch of superb--and now smooth--twisties on the menu for the April Border Skirmish Drive. I can't wait to do a recon and check it out.
Can't wait!!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
JayTom
1st Gear
New EIM Member...Winter projects.

Hey Everyone,

I was trying to become a member on the website, but everytime i would try to submit info...I got an error. Website problems?

Anyway... I just purchased my MINI!!!! Thought i would join your local Mini Community. I see there is an event comming up. Anything i need to do to participate? I can't see the details...?Website?

I have 2003 Mini... Great condition. Has some small repairs and projects I want to do...

-Rear hatch- This weekend my hatch wouldn't open. When unlocked, the locking/unlocking mechinasim looks try's to unlock but fails to realease the hatch clip... Anyone else ever have this problem? I know there is a manual hatch release cable, although mine is broken also...(Dumb mistake on my part while installing audio system) I'm looking to order new hatch lock for around $65...

-Idler Noise.
Started a few weeks ago. Squeking noise from my "belt" area. I havent tried to pin point the cause yet. spraid some stuff on the belt and idler, noise went away and then came back. It only happens when i am idel fully stopped. If im in neutral coasting, nothing...

-Audio System... (status=Complete) Previous owner did some horrible re-wiring, and installed a cheap aftermarket JVC deck. Speakers made crackling noise(stock HK). Replaced audio system..I can show pics of the install if interested.

-Driving/Fog lights... I like the giant rally/driving lamps... Anyone have any aftermarkets installed?

Well. I kinda though a lot out there... Kind of excited to check out the club...

See ya!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
deanman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JayTom
I just purchased my MINI!!!! Thought i would join your local Mini Community.
Welcome, JayTom! 2003 was a very good year It would be super cool if you tell us your MINI is Pepper White. Regardless of the color, I'm certain it's a beauty and lots of fun.

You don't need to do anything to join our fun-loving MINI group, other than show up at

Wig and Pen Pub
1220 Hwy 6 West
Iowa City, IA 52246
319-354-2767

between 10:30 and 11:00.

See you in a few days!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Gil-galad
I see there is an event comming up. Anything i need to do to participate? I can't see the details...?Website?
PM Sent. Welcome!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM
lapshoffman
2nd Gear
Talked to another prospective EIM MINI owner last night. He (and his wife) are the Owner/Manager of Photo Pro here in Cedar Rapids. He has (actually it's his wife's) a 2005 Chili Red / Black top MINI. "Nice Color"!

I invited him to Saturday's Wig and Pen. He was anxious to meet our group. Pending getting away from Photo Pro. He has also taught BMW "track" driving, and may be leaning towards "track" driving their MINI.
================================================== ================================================== =====================================
Heard back from him last night. As it turns out, his wife is a nurse, usually puts in long hours and needed the weekend free to catch up on things that needed to be done.

Last edited by lapshoffman; 01-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
Hey Everyone,

-Rear hatch- This weekend my hatch wouldn't open. When unlocked, the locking/unlocking mechinasim looks try's to unlock but fails to realease the hatch clip... Anyone else ever have this problem? I know there is a manual hatch release cable, although mine is broken also...(Dumb mistake on my part while installing audio system) I'm looking to order new hatch lock for around $65...
Daryl is familiar with "Hatch" problems. I believe Duct Tape and Paper Towels are the 'fix it' answer.

Attached Thumbnails EIM Wintertime Chat Room-eim-at-r4th2-010.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Daryl is familiar with "Hatch" problems. I believe Duct Tape and Paper Towels are the 'fix it' answer.
Thanks, David. Bad press is better than no press, I guess. By the way, where were you on Saturday??? You need to get your luxury room at a sharply discounted rate, soon!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Gil-galad
Fred, thought you might have an interest in following this thread --

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...then-dies.html

I'm wondering if the Valvetronic actuator motor as a root cause is sufficiently obscure that it might have escaped Miah's discerning eye...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
...I'm wondering if the Valvetronic actuator motor as a root cause is sufficiently obscure that it might have escaped Miah's discerning eye...
I will mention it to Jeremiah the next time we communicate. Since returning from Des Moines, Molly has had the cough with tach oscillation once, and stalled after startup once. It still eludes me why the problem would occur in my garage, but not on the Willis lot.

Maybe it has to do with how the engine cools down? Indoors it would happen slowly; outdoors, more quickly....

Thanks for the tip

Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 AM
D3m0N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Everyone,

I was trying to become a member on the website, but everytime i would try to submit info...I got an error. Website problems?

Anyway... I just purchased my MINI!!!! Thought i would join your local Mini Community. I see there is an event comming up. Anything i need to do to participate? I can't see the details...?Website?

I have 2003 Mini... Great condition. Has some small repairs and projects I want to do...

-Idler Noise.
Started a few weeks ago. Squeking noise from my "belt" area. I havent tried to pin point the cause yet. spraid some stuff on the belt and idler, noise went away and then came back. It only happens when i am idel fully stopped. If im in neutral coasting, nothing...

-Audio System... (status=Complete) Previous owner did some horrible re-wiring, and installed a cheap aftermarket JVC deck. Speakers made crackling noise(stock HK). Replaced audio system..I can show pics of the install if interested.

-Driving/Fog lights... I like the giant rally/driving lamps... Anyone have any aftermarkets installed?

Well. I kinda though a lot out there... Kind of excited to check out the club...

See ya!
When my 2003 had hatch not opening issues I removed the 4 or 5 allen bolts from the hatch handle then unplugged the connector. There is a contact switch that gets rusty in there clean it gently with a wire brush and then spray with WD40 to keep the water out.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by D3m0N
When my 2003 had hatch not opening issues I removed the 4 or 5 allen bolts from the hatch handle then unplugged the connector. There is a contact switch that gets rusty in there clean it gently with a wire brush and then spray with WD40 to keep the water out.
Dude! We missed you and your spreadsheet last Saturday...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
JayTom
1st Gear
Just the beginning...

Haha, Love the picture. Well guess what!!! The day after we all got together. I went to the store and forgot what car i was driving. I needed more room for my groceries, and had to maually pop the hatch (without the emergancy pull cord, how fun). Drove home, went to open my hatch... Click! opened right up. Worked ever since.

The forums i was reading before... Other people said the same thing. Few days after their hatch jammed... They tried it, and it just opened. Works great now.

So the money I was going to use on the part...I purchased a year subscription to MC2!!!

Oh and just wanted to say thanks for such a warm welcome!! The group is awesome and i think this is a beginning to many great adventures for me. There are so many awesome events...I dont know which ones to go to...

Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Oh and just wanted to say thanks for such a warm welcome!! The group is awesome and i think this is a beginning to many great adventures for me. There are so many awesome events...I dont know which ones to go to...
All of them, of course!!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Our Group

I agree with Gary’s assessment of our group, and what makes it tick. I also agree with the comments that have been directed toward Gary’s assessment. One missing factor that should be on the list of things that make our group the best MINI group is that the leader of our leaderless group always makes attendees feel welcome, whether they are new or “old.” He knows how to keep a good thing going!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Gil-galad
I agree with Gary’s assessment of our group, and what makes it tick. I also agree with the comments that have been directed toward Gary’s assessment. One missing factor that should be on the list of things that make our group the best MINI group is that the leader of our leaderless group always makes attendees feel welcome, whether they are new or “old.” He knows how to keep a good thing going!
You're too kind. Maybe it keeps going because we have such a fine core group of bona-fide, incurable MINI nuts.

I think if you look back over the years in our Photo Gallery you can find lots of times when we leveraged the creativity and generosity of a variety of folks in the group. I'm always happy just to be along for the ride (pun intended!).

Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
lapshoffman
2nd Gear
Amen to that Daryl...

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Agreed!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Gil-galad
Had a little time this morning (didn't see anything interesting at the local auction) so I made a quick recon up across the border north of Waukon. The rumors of MN-76 getting repaved between Caledonia and Houston have made me insanely curious so I had to check it out.

Happy to report that it's true. Scenic, twisty, and smooth as a baby's bottom. This little segment will definitely be integrated as a new addition to the April Border Skirmish Drive...as will a couple of other new twists.

Snapped a few pics through the windshield...

Attached Thumbnails EIM Wintertime Chat Room-pic1.jpg   EIM Wintertime Chat Room-pic2.jpg   EIM Wintertime Chat Room-pic3.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Had a little time this morning (didn't see anything interesting at the local auction) so I made a quick recon up across the border north of Waukon. The rumors of MN-76 getting repaved between Caledonia and Houston have made me insanely curious so I had to check it out.

Happy to report that it's true. Scenic, twisty, and smooth as a baby's bottom. This little segment will definitely be integrated as a new addition to the April Border Skirmish Drive...as will a couple of other new twists.

Snapped a few pics through the windshield...
This is a great teaser post! I wish I was out on the open road today. I've usually poster the ever popular "dusting the MINI" video in February when it's cold, nasty, and snowy, but this reminder of the fun to be had in April is a good way to think of the new motoring season.

Quick Reply: EIM Wintertime Chat Room