Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM Wintertime Chat Room

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the person who has always done the laundry for my family of 5, I say the owner of the pocket needs to be responsible because they have only two pockets to check where as I would have 10 (two pockets per each for 5 people). And of course that number multiplies x7 (days a week, 1 pr per person per day). That would require me to check 70 pockets per week. I don't think so. Plus eventually when they (finally!) go off on their own they need to be in the habit of emptying their pockets.

That said, of course when my boys were little this was not realistic. I vividly remember a red crayon that went through the washer and the BRAND NEW dryer!

Furthermore, my MINI now takes up all my washing time

Last edited by 05MINI; 02-23-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the case of our household, we each take responsibility for our own laundry. This makes the "owner" and the "do-er" the same person and eliminates the conundrum. This approach also has the advantage of placing one in total control of separating colors, getting stuff out and onto hangers to avoid wrinkles, etc. One point though -- any impact to the appliances (like pocket paperwork ending up in the lint filter) needs to be rectified prior to the offender departing the laundry room after the last load.

Any currency found in the washer or dryer is "finders keepers."

Crayon in the dryer??

Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
money found is finders keepers we all agree to that. but if your not going to check the pockets you are not going to find any money.(most of the time)

how about this analogy for the laundry....

A missle is headed for a town 20 miles away. 10 miles away from the town is a missle defense system operated by two guys. The two guys fail at destroying the missile due to equipment malfunction and it keeps heading for the town.
1 mile away from the town is a soldier in a bunker with a rocket launcher. Not exactly an mds but capable of shooting down a missile. The soldier lets the missle go by. The General, stationed in the town, is informed of the incoming missile and radios the soldier and says "You were capable of shooting down that missile. Now we're all going to die! Why didn't you shoot down that missle?" The soldier replys "The mds should have taken out the missle it was their job."

keep chiming in with your answers people.

What about the toilet seat? Up or down?
I say do what you need to do to make it work for you and don't forget to wash your hands when your done.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Gil-galad
Up. That way if the cat's water dish runs dry they have a fall back...

Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Even as the only female in my household I won this debate-Down! When I get up in the night I don't turn on the light or put on my glasses and almost falling in when I sit is not a pleasant surprise. Ideally, we would each have our own bathroom and not have to share.

My cat is too old and chubby to balance on there anyhow.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
I had another brilliant thought this morning in regards to the Olympics-
I think it would be most excellent if all competitors in the Olympics were chosen by a 'draft' . And in this draft letter you are told what sport you will be competing in. you have 4 years get training? There would be no declining.
Let's say a 350lbs man gets chosen for the Bobsled. He is not going to fit in the sled. Get training, get in shape, fit into that bobsled and race for your country.

Would you like me to quit posting these types of things and just keep it MINI?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM
deanman
5th Gear
MINI Item

Is anyone considering the Okoboji event in May? The "discounted" rate at the resort is $80 for 1 bedroom. I'm going to look elsewhere.

Last edited by deanman; 02-25-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelliing
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
"It's a sign, it's a sign!" I just read in MC2 magazine that the current plan is to call the new MINI crossover the Countryman in Europe but call it the Traveler in the U.S. Gozer the Gozerian is also known as the Traveler! (http://moa.dracandros.com/Gozer_the_Gozerian) Surely this means Little Gozer needs a big sister I wonder if it will come in purple?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 AM
deanman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 05MINI
Little Gozer needs a big sister I wonder if it will come in purple?

I can't wait to see the two of them together!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Smokin' Jo
Would you like me to quit posting these types of things and just keep it MINI?
Doesn't bother me any...I just like it when folks are online and posting a lot. I feel like it helps maintain group cohesiveness.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 02-25-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by deanman
Is anyone considering the Okoboji event in May? The "discounted" rate at the resort is $80 for 1 bedroom. I'm going to look elsewhere.
It sounds like a lot of fun; however, between our MINI R4TO excursion to Arkansas, my daughter's college graduation, and trips to both the Gulf Coast (work) and Canada (fun) my month of May is already crazy and fully booked end to end.

I guess I can't go to everything...but I wish I could.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Gil-galad
"It's a sign, it's a sign!" I just read in MC2 magazine that the current plan is to call the new MINI crossover the Countryman in Europe but call it the Traveler in the U.S. Gozer the Gozerian is also known as the Traveler! (http://moa.dracandros.com/Gozer_the_Gozerian) Surely this means Little Gozer needs a big sister I wonder if it will come in purple?
I agree...I think it's a sign!

Did you see the crossover video link on our website?

Hey wait a minute...is that a new MC2 mag to which you refer? I wonder where my copy is?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Since we seem to be jumping all over the spectrum in all things MINI (and even non-mini) today:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...c=Nextscreen#5

Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Gil-galad
Since we seem to be jumping all over the spectrum in all things MINI (and even non-mini) today:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...c=Nextscreen#5
Wow, it looks like the pool can be either "indoor" or "outdoor" configured. Cool!

Can you imagine what that sloshing water would do to your cornering performance? (Not to mention acceleration and braking...)

Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
D3m0N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deanman

Information? were did you hear about this?

I see a western iowa run in March but cant find anything in May

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by D3m0N
Information? were did you hear about this?

I see a western iowa run in March but cant find anything in May
One of the guys in the MINICooperIowa Yahoo! group is putting this together within their message collective. It hasn't really been advertised much; all the info is embedded in their email chain. Let me know if you want Daryl or me to extract some of the details for you.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM
D3m0N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will just logon to my age old yahoo account I dont ever use LOL

Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Hey wait a minute...is that a new MC2 mag to which you refer? I wonder where my copy is?
Guess I should have checked the mailbox first. It's here!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Miah34
3rd Gear
ok, so the countryman/traveler is a go for the new mini is what i am taking it as. but what about the coupe and roadster?? i am more excited about the coup than anything. 220+ horses.... 200+lbs less then a cooper s... that's what i'm talking about.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
Has anyone seen the picture for the "Beachcomber"? I guess it's still a concept but somebody blogged that the franchise of MINI is starting to get out of hand with the crossover and now this. The BC is much larger than the MINI much like the Crossover is. Some people thought it was cool others hated it. I dont care for it either. I got my MINI for the nostaglia, look, power, the motoring and gas mileage. If/when these MINI's are produced i feel people will buy them casting aside what it means to be MINI. Would we even get a wave from one of these people?
Sorry, i got on my soapbox again.
Mr. Chekov you have the Con.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Gil-galad
So, lots to think about regarding our July-August motoring schedule!

The recent announcements about MINI Takes the States (MTTS) 2010...

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/02/...2010/#comments

...implies that there will be several gatherings in major cities that culminate in a rally drive from those diverse points to a central gathering in Denver, CO on 6-8 August. The idea is that a big group will be in the Denver area and will stick around for the always fun MINIs in the Mountains (MITM) event that will be headquartered at Winter Park Resort, CO from 12-15 August.

It's not unreasonable to deduce that Chicago may be one of the initial gathering points, and if so it will probably occur over the weekend of 31 Jul - 1 Aug (I suspect we'll learn a lot more about this in the coming weeks). If that actually happens, it will occur just one week after our currently planned EIM Cassville Ferry Crossing Drive scheduled for 24 July.

Oh, and don't forget that the Holy Cross Parade (14 Aug) and the Heartland British Autofest Days (14-15 Aug) overlap the MITM weekend. That makes (potentially) six events over four consecutive weeks with three of them (MTTS 2010 Chicago gathering and rally, MTTS 2010 Denver, and MITM) major, national events.

Any suggestions on how (or even if) we should approach these opportunities as a group? Emphasize our local gatherings, incl. Chicago, and let folks peel off and attend the bigger, out-of-area events as they see fit?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Any suggestions on how (or even if) we should approach these opportunities as a group? Emphasize our local gatherings, incl. Chicago, and let folks peel off and attend the bigger, out-of-area events as they see fit?

Yes. That.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Beachcomber-not a fan. maybe if I lived on the beach. I think they are harkening back to the Mini Moke.

Love the Roadster! I want one of them, too. (I think I am up to 4. Or is it 5?)

With my son's wedding this September I don't think it will be possible for us to pick up any non-local MINI events. They all sound so good!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Gil-galad
With my son's wedding this September I don't think it will be possible for us to pick up any non-local MINI events. They all sound so good!
You're still going to the Ozarks with us, aren't you? Sure hope so!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Oh, yes, we are going to the Ozarks! Have had my reservations for several weeks already. Really looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: EIM Wintertime Chat Room