Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GP intercooler installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look forward to seeing the new bit in person! Is Jeff gonna dyno test it again?

The numbers from the last go round were pretty darn good. Maybe a few more ponies are to be gained.

Also, I need to steal your keys.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear
Does anyone know what the GP IC retails for from the dealer? I would only order through Austria if it offered significant savings. Cheers,

Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
2BlueMCSMRdstr
2nd Gear
The "Austrian Connection" is similarly priced to what you can order through the dealer. However, unless you've got a GP VIN good luck getting intercooler parts through a main dealer. It is my understanding (and my actual experience) that MINIUSA has a hold on intercooler parts for GP owners only. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2BlueMCSMRdstr
The "Austrian Connection" is similarly priced to what you can order through the dealer. However, unless you've got a GP VIN good luck getting intercooler parts through a main dealer. It is my understanding (and my actual experience) that MINIUSA has a hold on intercooler parts for GP owners only. Your mileage may vary.
This was my experience as well.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Woo..hoo..

Have the intercooler installed today...
Can feel the improvement, on both city and highway cruise.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish i could get in touch with this guy. I've sent emails. No response.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:49 AM
MCSJCW
2nd Gear
Hello
Congratulations for your GP IC

You advise the change?

Best Regards

Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 AM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCSJCW
Hello

You advise the change?

Best Regards
I think it was a good investment, although I don't have any numbers to back it up. I like the fact that it's an OEM part and looks great. Besides, there seems to be a lot of DFIC's in the marketplace as of late. Kind of makes you wonder....

Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done more IC testing on the Mini...

that most, and what I've learned is that what's best for one car depends on other mods and how it's used. Here are some examples.....

The DFIC has great cooling, but poor pressure drop. Who would this be best for? Someone who drives on the street, with stop and go, and low car speeds. Who wouldn't this be best for? Someone who has other ways of cooling the IC, or who is always at very high speeds when there's lots of cooling air flow.

The Alta (V1 or V2) both have good pressure perfomrnace, but could have better heat transfer (And despite what some think, IC size has nothing at all to do with this). Who is this good for? Someone who has other ways of cooling, or is at high speeds (RPMs really) most of the time.

The GP will have about the same thermal behaviour as the stocker, but less pressure drop. I actually see it as a compramize between the extremes listed above.

So why the DFICs on the market? Well, a lot who are selling adopt the cutting edge, and sell it off when there's another "girl to date" so to speak. IT's not that it's a bad product (it's a good product), but it may not be best for those that are stuffing tons of air through their motors. This is the track rat crowd.

Now for the hard part. How do you actuall use your car? Most of us actually mentally amplify our extreme drivng time and impact, and actually decieve ourselves on what we need. (driven in any street cars with suspensions so stiff that you just want to get out of the car?) You also have to keep in mind what else you're using on the car (water injection reduces the thermal efficency requirments on the IC) inorder to make an optimal decision.

Matt

Old 04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
that most, and what I've learned is that what's best for one car depends on other mods and how it's used. Here are some examples.....

The DFIC has great cooling, but poor pressure drop. Who would this be best for? Someone who drives on the street, with stop and go, and low car speeds. Who wouldn't this be best for? Someone who has other ways of cooling the IC, or who is always at very high speeds when there's lots of cooling air flow.

The Alta (V1 or V2) both have good pressure perfomrnace, but could have better heat transfer (And despite what some think, IC size has nothing at all to do with this). Who is this good for? Someone who has other ways of cooling, or is at high speeds (RPMs really) most of the time.

The GP will have about the same thermal behaviour as the stocker, but less pressure drop. I actually see it as a compramize between the extremes listed above.

So why the DFICs on the market? Well, a lot who are selling adopt the cutting edge, and sell it off when there's another "girl to date" so to speak. IT's not that it's a bad product (it's a good product), but it may not be best for those that are stuffing tons of air through their motors. This is the track rat crowd.

Now for the hard part. How do you actuall use your car? Most of us actually mentally amplify our extreme drivng time and impact, and actually decieve ourselves on what we need. (driven in any street cars with suspensions so stiff that you just want to get out of the car?) You also have to keep in mind what else you're using on the car (water injection reduces the thermal efficency requirments on the IC) inorder to make an optimal decision.

Matt
Well said as usual. Thanks Matt!
Given Matt's view on intercoolers, I can say the GP IC is a great fit for me and my driving style. It also compliments the water/methanol injection system I am running nicely.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCSJCW
Hello

You advise the change?

Best Regards
Surprisingly, I feel much better response throughout the power band from the engine more than I would expected.
Especially at the low to mid end (2k - 5k), much much better.

I don't know if it only because the new IC that might have worked well with my engine config or not, but I'm sure something right must have happened from this process, and I notice the difference and I really love it.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 04-16-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 AM
MCSJCW
2nd Gear
Hello
Thanks
I´m owner of a John Cooper Works 210 Kit with a GTT Hybrid Induction Kit. I think the GP IC is a good upgrade for my MINI. If it will be necessary I make a ECU remap for better performance.

What you find the remap?

Best Regards

Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I woldn't bother

for just an IC. If you want the most power out of your car, though, you may want to go to a tuner that a) knows how to dyno-tune and b) has the right tools to really hack the ECU. This depends on where you live as to who (if any) can really do your car.

Matt

Old 04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Like I said in another thread, I live in the middle of nowhere and I have to drive three hours to the nearest Chicago Mini dealer. It is the only option I have for a different ECU burn ,the JCW ECU upgrade.

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
for just an IC. If you want the most power out of your car, though, you may want to go to a tuner that a) knows how to dyno-tune and b) has the right tools to really hack the ECU. This depends on where you live as to who (if any) can really do your car.

Matt

Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
Like I said in another thread, I live in the middle of nowhere and I have to drive three hours to the nearest Chicago Mini dealer. It is the only option I have for a different ECU burn ,the JCW ECU upgrade.
There are a couple of vendors in my area that capable to do an exellent ECU fine tuning.
I decide to go with the JCW flash for a while, then will experiment with the GP flash and will probably try "custom tune" sometimes in the future.