Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Questions about ECU and performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM
bumbLB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about ECU and performance Mods

I am reviewing the options to add more HP to the mini. Such as Cat back exhaust, Cold Air Intake, supercharger pulley, colder plugs, etc... Does anyone have any recommendations for the computer to accept all of these mods?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At first, you don't NEED to do anything...

the car will still run fine. When it comes to maximizing power, none of the solutions are perfect, and all have some issues.

When I was digging into this stuff, I came to a couple of conclusions. First, if you're going to keep modding, make sure you get something that is inexpensive to upgrade. Second, support for stuff like this is key, so if you have a local tuner you trust, work with them. If you don't, use someone who is remote with a GOOD REP! Third, not all do everything, so make sure you have your priorities right. WOT power makes nice dyno curves, but doesn't tell you squat about day to day (read part throttle) driveability.

For a somewhat out of date summary of many of the offerings, I think the 4th MC Squared issue has my article in it. It's introductory in nature, and will get you up to speed on many of the offerings, so you can carry on more informed discussions.

Good luck!

Matt

Old 02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
bumbLB
Neutral
I am starting with suspension mods first, have my parts sitting here and just waiting to get them on. Then I will start with adding some more horsepower. I was going to look for some tuners in my area and have some conversations with them.

BTW - Nice stang! I am looking to pick up an old ford truck as another hobby.

Thanks for the information.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
As pointed out based on the mods you listed/intend, you do not NEED to upgrade your ECU. My experience w/ an ECU upgrade is that it seemed to tie together/maximize all of the mods. Most noticeable for me was the smoothness and crispness.

Take a look at a thread I did called "ecu giac upgrade" in the middle I do a pros/cons on 3 main programs - MTH, GIAC and Unichip. These were my perceptions based on my research. Appreciate that you are not just buying a file, installation varies and don't forget service and support.

DrO makes good points - the value of a local shop should not be under estimated. As well Dynos compared to seat of the pants daily driving.

Most importantly, while we all pursue "the best" in any mod when it comes to Ecu upgrades there is no BEST, unless you have a custome file made for YOUR CAR. The ecu upgrade vendors have libraries of files and they sell you the one closest to your cars specifications. These files are significantly cheaper than a true custom tune and can/do imrpove performance.

Take your time in making this decision.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:32 AM
bumbLB
Neutral
This is why I signed onto these forums. To get a good understanding of what others have been doing for their Mini's. This is my first Tuner car and I am learning about the pro's / con's of the multitude of parts out there.

This can be extremely overwhelming, what to do? what do purchase? What works together?...etc.. I have read the article you suggested and gained a lot of input from the other people using each product.

As stated before I am starting with some suspension upgrades to give the car a better stance and stick to the ground a little better. I have the list of performance mods laid out already, and just need to decide which manufacturer I will buy from.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this thread in the correct section? Which generation are we discussing?

Currently there are no ECU mods available for the r56 - and very few other mods available.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Incorrect. An MTH remap is available; $950.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
Gotta ask - what kinda numbers are you seeing. What things are changed (like the r53) - redline?, .............

Do tell

Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh

when did it become available? This is the first I've heard of it.

Also, look at the date I made that statement.

edit: I just checked your website and it's not listed? I saw them for 05/06 but not 07.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some factory mods in the works. The first is to be intake, exhaust, and ECU mods. Rumor is that they have been delayed by heat problems. Might be something to think about before trying it yourself. If the factory engineers are having trouble keeping it from self-destructing, perhaps this engine is not easy to mod safely?

From what I hear, the stock R56 S has more power than the R53 JCW mod. Might be wise to sit back, enjoy the suspension modes, and see how things shake out with engine mods. It is pretty early days for the R56 engine.

Just a thought.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Anybody bringing the burbles back? please?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dmh
......and what does it remap?

You could've left the snippy "Incorrect" off your response, as NOBODY has annouced its availability until you chimed in.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:05 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
R56 tuning was announced in February. Correcting a factual error ought not to be considered "snippy." It’s not on the web page as it has not been updated.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
No Don, you posted a teaser, not a shred of factual information. You even said in that teaser post you'd add information a week after that post, however that was 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time you posted a price, which at $950, is astronomical. You still have yet to post what this MTH remap actually does, let alone any proof of its effectiveness.

How about some factual information Don? How does the MTH map adjust the boost controller, ignition mapping, air-fuel ratio, redline, top speed limiter, DSC interaction, and Sport button settings?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
R56 tuning was announced in February. Correcting a factual error ought not to be considered "snippy." It’s not on the web page as it has not been updated.
so if i dropped by your shop today with $950, what would I leave with?

Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
so if i dropped by your shop today with $950, what would I leave with? I don't know. $950?

Last edited by dmh; 03-23-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Ryephile
No Don, you posted a teaser, not a shred of factual information. You even said in that teaser post you'd add information a week after that post, however that was 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time you posted a price, which at $950, is astronomical. You still have yet to post what this MTH remap actually does, let alone any proof of its effectiveness.

How about some factual information Don? How does the MTH map adjust the boost controller, ignition mapping, air-fuel ratio, redline, top speed limiter, DSC interaction, and Sport button settings?
It adjusts all you mentioned. At $950 I think it is well priced, if not cheap!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dmh
so if i dropped by your shop today with $950, what would I leave with? I don't know. $950?
So you're telling MotorMouth to keep his money and not buy anything from you?

Originally Posted by dmh
It adjusts all you mentioned. At $950 I think it is well priced, if not cheap!
I didn't ask if it did change those things, I asked HOW it changes those things. You're mistaken on the price, it's significantly higher than any ECU product for the R53. How do you rationalize the significantly higher price; by refusing to provide details on the product?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
I did not understand his question. I guess is my answer is he can buy what ever he wants. I'm not pushing anyone to buy anything. Just as with the R53 no details will be given out. (I am not sure I know any tuners that give out specific information.)

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dmh
no details will be given out.
...except the price; gotcha.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Will we be seeing any before and after Dyno's?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 PM
mozzarella
Banned
What difference would that make, just believe him that's the way it is with all the other vendors. I've never seen a car that had so many magic after market parts as the MINI. Let's get back to the real stuff like the Dragon.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Sorry for offering the product and upsetting you. I'll happily put you all on the "no sale" list.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dmh
Sorry for offering the product and upsetting you. I'll happily put you all on the "no sale" list.
How depressing that you take pleasure in upsetting us instead of entertaining our obvious ignorance and answering our pertinent and valid questions.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
I think people would really like to see what sort of hp and tq gains you are getting from this. Before and after dyno sheets would help answer many question that people may have especially when parting with $950!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Questions about ECU and performance Mods