Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Questions about ECU and performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmh
so if i dropped by your shop today with $950, what would I leave with? I don't know. $950?
Strange, I thought you said the ECU mod was available.

So I guess I stand by my original statement:

As of yet there are no ECU mods available for the R56.

Originally Posted by dmh
Sorry for offering the product and upsetting you. I'll happily put you all on the "no sale" list.
strange way of making your business grow. I had never heard of the "alienate your customer" approach before.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt say I wouldnt buy. i just asked if we would see dyno's. I am not sure that that is out of the question. maybe it is. I would actually like to hear from the vendor as to whether or not we will see dyno's and if not is there a reason behind it? thanks in advance
Bryan

Old 03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
I'm not taking any pleasure in any of this. I'm not trying to entertain anyone either. Nor am I asking anybody to part with anything. Dyno numbers just create trouble for many NAMers as their “Testing and Measurement” skills seem lacking. I posted dyno results for the R56 from Rototest -- it got ridiculed. I doubt anybody in America has seen more Mini Cooper dyno results than me and within specific years results vary about +/-3%. And if you don’t understand that, have your favorite dyno checked. If you actually want further information such as dyno numbers, just give me a call. If you want to "carry-on" then this thread would be more appropriate.

Last edited by dmh; 03-23-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dmh
Dyno numbers just create trouble for many NAMers as their “Testing and Measurement” skills seem lacking.
With a condescending attitude like that, no wonder you're not very warmly received here. Had you considered there are other people in the world that are almost as wise as you? Do you realize that you're offending everyone here, including those that DO know what they're looking at?

Originally Posted by dmh
I doubt anybody in America has seen more Mini Cooper dyno results than me and within specific years results vary about +/-3%. And if you don’t understand that, have your favorite dyno checked.
Of course we're wrong and you're right. Our dyno's are all wrong, but yours is the only one that is right. Can you bear to admit that there's a potential there are others in the world that have a reasonably accurate dyno?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Cut the S*it guys he has a product if you want it call him and get so info if not go outside and drive you MINI. I never understand how so many people who "love to Motor" spend all their time on NAM.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Show us something. How about before and after 1/4 mile times?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
How about just an average increase in peak hp or tq? Im Curious!!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
I know nothing about DMH Motorsports, but it looks like you all have your answers. This is a vendor-sponsored site. You will either get a warning from the mods for pressing a vendor for data, or you will be set upon by a horde of vendor groupies who will flog you for even asking for data. Time to give up.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here we go again!!!!

What really baffles me is that I know most of the people that argue here on
NAM and they are all really good people!

FWIW, Don doesn't have to post sh**t about his products if he doesn't want to, and if you are really, really an interested person, I'd suggest a phone call, not just to Don, but to any vendor you want details from. You'll get much more accurate answers without the vendor worrying that all the secrets are in the public domain for all to see.

On the dyno stuff, it's just a guide for the eye. There's so much that goes into amiture dyno data that it's close to useless for a lot of comparisons. With proper work a dyno is a great tool, but a lot of "dyno days" seem to me to be a bit more than a curisity that much else. Without at least IATs and coolant temp you can't trust the numbers for squat.

So let me save everyone some time.

There will be those that demand the details and won't get them.
The vendors will say "proprietary".
Someone will say it's all snake oil.
Someone will buy eventuall and post impressions.
Someone else will ask for dyno numbers.....

And on and on and on.

Ryan and Don, you are both good guys! Ryan, can't you see that Don doesn't want to give it all away? Don, it seems that some in your marketspace would like a bit more meat on the marketing bones! Is there a middle ground here? Probably not if its just a debate on NAM. Probably yes if people just phone up and talk out of the public eye.

just my thoughts..... FWIW

Matt

Old 03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
As I wrote the other day, all it takes is a phone call. [And if you want dyno numbers that are accurate and repeatable you need to be on a dyno that can be calibrated. And that means a hydraulic unit-- Dynapack or Rototest for example. Operators have no ability to calibrate an inertia style or eddy-current.]

Last edited by dmh; 03-26-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Matt for adding some middle ground. I'm not asking Don to spill all his proprietary beans, but like you said, add some proverbial meat to the marketing bones.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I would call, but I don't want to waste anyone's time as I don't even have an r56. I am extremely curious about how much potential there is from an ECU remap on the r56. I keep reading that the real potential of the engine wont be seen until the ecu code is cracked. If dmh has done it, then what is the potential of the remap? is it 20 to 30 hp, 40 to 50 hp? more? less? I hope someone gets it done soon so that we can get feedback from customers.

Is the remap $950 because dmh is the only solution at the moment (expensive because of all of the research involved), or is it because there is a large jump in hp to justify this high price. I say this because compared to the ecu remap that dmh offered for the r53, it is double the price.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Don,

Just for information purposes - being an MTH program for the 950 does that come w/ 1 year of mod upgrades ?