Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M62 dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
You're worse than spiderx.
Could be. But what I am trying to convey is that it is easy to buy and bolt pieces on. What is far more difficult is to find the guy who can make them work correctly.

Last edited by dmh; 02-05-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:59 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
I'm already with you on that. I have friends that could piece together a turbo or twincharge set-up for my car, but then I look at what happens to their cars when they do stuff like that, and I get queasy

Old 02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
njminime
Neutral
Originally Posted by dmh
I just started to use the Dynapack at PowerTech in Rockaway, NJ. Mike and Keith are the owners and interestingly they used to work with Randy Webb at Promotion Motorsports in Morristown, NJ.

Today’s numbers: 216.6 WHP; 178.5 ft/lb torque

2005 MCS, CAI, 19% pulley, matched intake runner, DMH cylinder head +1/+1, Schrick cam, Borla cat back, custom tuning.
Temperature: 64 deg F
Humidity: 21%
Barometric pressure: 29.50 in-Hg
IAT: 148 deg F
Water temp: 202 deg F
Oil temp: 205 deg F
5W-30 Mobile 1
4th gear
Stock gearbox fluid
93 octane
Well here are the sheets and and all i can say is WOW! Great Job Don
Just check out that boost with the 19%

Attached Thumbnails M62 dyno numbers-p-257.jpg   M62 dyno numbers-p-258.jpg  
Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
You're worse than spiderx.
I heard that The reason I did not post is that it is not my company or place to post.... I personally don't care..... now that I have posted I will keep you up on developments..... there is hope for the 62.... we have not gotten it there but apparently Don has...... congrats.....

who knows what the "gain" number mean in the Dynopack.....

Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
I just started to use the Dynapack at PowerTech in Rockaway, NJ. Mike and Keith are the owners and interestingly they used to work with Randy Webb at Promotion Motorsports in Morristown, NJ.

2005 MCS, CAI, 19% pulley, matched intake runner, DMH cylinder head +1/+1, Schrick cam, Borla cat back, custom tuning.
5W-30 Mobile 1
4th gear
Stock gearbox fluid
93 octane
I have the same exact type of upgrades acept for a 15% pulley along with Nology wires, NGK spark plugs, throttle body, an M7 OCC along with custom tunning.

Want to get a dyno but with so many here having similar to exact uppgrades as mine it pretty much tells me what kind of power my car is putting out.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blissfull
I have the same exact type of upgrades acept for a 15% pulley along with Nology wires, NGK spark plugs, throttle body, an M7 OCC along with custom tunning.

Want to get a dyno but with so many here having similar to exact uppgrades as mine it pretty much tells me what kind of power my car is putting out.
Except that car has the MTH and on top of that the Perfect Power ecu kit, probably tuned on a dyno and on the road.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:08 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blissfull

You have the DMH head? If not, remember what Don says: all mods are not the same! Who makes the "stage 2 head" ?

cheers,

Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
You have the DMH head? If not, remember what Don says: all mods are not the same! Who makes the "stage 2 head" ?

cheers,
Head is from Mini Mania. The custom tunning is what's making the whole upgrades work very well together and run strong.

I just need to find a decent shop to do a dyno test on the car. Anyone has any ideas as to where in San Francisco bay area?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Stu(pid)
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tüls
Spider... the otehr day you mentioned getting an R56... DOOOO IT! I had some expirence with one... recently.... and well... it will dominate the market for folks liek you who don't wanna take off the SC to gain power... bang for buck(for the mild modder) it will kick the R53 in the teeth...

now for guys like me... it will prolly be the same amount of $... but so what... same $ huge power... WOOOT!
Hi Tüls, does this mean you have cracked the ECU on the R56?

Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM
PSYCMINI
2nd Gear
Very gratefull for this thread...i really had doubts about this upgrade and will stay on my single turbo route, test drove the R56 as well as a Mazda speed 3 for my wife, as loyal as i am to the mini i that 3 is a beast, i can see her driving my 02 S and me inheriting the Mazda speed.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Paul Webster
Banned
Originally Posted by dmh

5W-30 Mobile 1
4th gear
Stock gearbox fluid
93 octane

What about Header Don?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Paul Webster
What about Header Don?
stock

Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Wow - Mike and Keith! I remember them, as I was a kid when I worked there. I have fond memories of after hours time with Peter taking me under his wing at Promotion.

Mike's 914-6 and the rides I had in it were inspiration for the next 4 914s I had! Keith's EP car was one of the reasons I got into racing!

I still remember a ride I got from Mike in a modified Ruf Promotion had built - first time I was scared in a car!

Good times...

On a side note, that number is relatively straightforward to get on a car with good headwork. If the tuning is done correctly, over 200 is commonplace as long as the car isn't blocked by the exhaust port.

Side note 2 - I told Spidey in the beginning of all of this that the potential wasn't that much greater for the MP62, that it may provide better torque sooner, and may be easier to get to the top numbers, but the delta wouldn't be that much bigger than on a hopped up M45. Also, screw up the tuning on a project like this, and it can go boom!

Anyway, thanks for the memories Don - times when I was a long haired, know nothing, punk kid that got goosebumps form just being around cars like those at Promotion!

Randy

Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
<snip>
Anyway, thanks for the memories Don - times when I was a long haired, know nothing, punk kid that got goosebumps form just being around cars like those at Promotion!

Randy
Does that mean you got a hair cut? I keed, I keed...

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Yeah - the MAN made me do it! Always having to conform....

Old 02-08-2007, 05:02 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Wow - Mike and Keith! I remember them, as I was a kid when I worked there. I have fond memories of after hours time with Peter taking me under his wing at Promotion.

Mike's 914-6 and the rides I had in it were inspiration for the next 4 914s I had! Keith's EP car was one of the reasons I got into racing!

I still remember a ride I got from Mike in a modified Ruf Promotion had built - first time I was scared in a car!

Good times...

On a side note, that number is relatively straightforward to get on a car with good headwork. If the tuning is done correctly, over 200 is commonplace as long as the car isn't blocked by the exhaust port.

Side note 2 - I told Spidey in the beginning of all of this that the potential wasn't that much greater for the MP62, that it may provide better torque sooner, and may be easier to get to the top numbers, but the delta wouldn't be that much bigger than on a hopped up M45. Also, screw up the tuning on a project like this, and it can go boom!

Randy
Hi Randy,

it is curious that Don claims some pretty high numbers from his experience with the 62....... it is a ll a big experiment...... the tq is pretty strong and the A/F are very much in the safe range.... hopefully no boom....

Bob

Old 02-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Hi Randy,

it is curious that Don claims some pretty high numbers from his experience with the 62....... it is a ll a big experiment...... the tq is pretty strong and the A/F are very much in the safe range.... hopefully no boom....

Bob
Peace Bob,
Maybe a call to David at BBR in the UK would do you some good. This is an old project for them and they might be ablt to help demystify some of the unkowns here. Don's claim of high HP #'s with the M62 may have to do with using a different type of dyno. You are holding your standard based on a Mustang dyno. Don just reported numbers from a different type of dyno. As Randy said the numbers Don reported are pretty typical for the mods done. I am sure i he'd of done his dyno on the Helix dyno, it would not be anywhere near 216 with 182 tq. You've done enough dynos to know these numbers can fluctuate quite a bit. A talk with David might help determine all the advatages and limitations of this project.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Hi Randy,

Bob
I may have missed it, because I didn't read carefully enough, but did Don do any 62 testing on the MINI? His numbers are comparing the MP62 to what he has done using the M45 (the standard supercharger). It say in his info about the car it is using a 19% pulley (which would indicate an M45).

Booms usually happen on the west coast anyway .

Randy

Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Originally Posted by Cosmic Purple
Peace Bob,
Maybe a call to David at BBR in the UK would do you some good. This is an old project for them and they might be ablt to help demystify some of the unkowns here. Don's claim of high HP #'s with the M62 may have to do with using a different type of dyno. You are holding your standard based on a Mustang dyno. Don just reported numbers from a different type of dyno. As Randy said the numbers Don reported are pretty typical for the mods done. I am sure i he'd of done his dyno on the Helix dyno, it would not be anywhere near 216 with 182 tq. You've done enough dynos to know these numbers can fluctuate quite a bit. A talk with David might help determine all the advatages and limitations of this project.
Peace be with you,

I believe that David is using a centrifugal type supercharger, not the MP62. I'm sure he would still have insight though.

Randy

Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may have missed it, because I didn't read carefully enough, but did Don do any 62 testing on the MINI?
Randy
Go back to post #65 on page 3 of this thread, the next several posts give the details.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
I may have missed it, because I didn't read carefully enough, but did Don do any 62 testing on the MINI? His numbers are comparing the MP62 to what he has done using the M45 (the standard supercharger). It say in his info about the car it is using a 19% pulley (which would indicate an M45).

Booms usually happen on the west coast anyway .

Randy
The M62 car Bob was referring to is not the same car as mentioned in the dyno above. Don mentioned something about another mini he'd installed the M62 that produced over 235 hp from the kit. So... is that 235+ on a Mustang or Dynojet or what?
Anyway, i think your (Randy's) statement above about the project potential pretty much sums it up. With the proper tune there can be some moderate gains, without the proper tune it may be less than a nicely modded M45. What happened to the M7 numbers?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
goaljnky
Banned
<snip> What happened to the M7 numbers?
Oh, no you didn't... Here we go again...

Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
The M62 car Bob was referring to is not the same car as mentioned in the dyno above. Don mentioned something about another mini he'd installed the M62 that produced over 235 hp from the kit. So... is that 235+ on a Mustang or Dynojet or what?
Anyway, i think your (Randy's) statement above about the project potential pretty much sums it up. With the proper tune there can be some moderate gains, without the proper tune it may be less than a nicely modded M45. What happened to the M7 numbers?
The kit from England is $20-30K..... it better perform...

There is no way a 45 car can put out the feel of the 62 car....

Old 02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
The kit from England is $20-30K..... it better perform...

There is no way a 45 car can put out the feel of the 62 car....
I would agree, the kit from the UK is a bit expensive, but they have worked out a system that works well. When comparing the amount of output from say the M62 vs. turbo, turbo appears more bang for the buck, but the issues that come up are similar. Even the M45 is a little large for a 1.6L.

When you put a larger supercharger or turbo on these cars, the problem is not bolting them on but revamping the stock ecu. Using the Lucky Dog and Mini Madness turbo project as an example, the kit has yet to be released because John at LDG is so meticulous he won't release the OK until he's worked out the ECU. He's been saying 98% there for almost a year. On the MM car featured in the Euro mag, the ECU was bypassed. Is the Fireballed 400+ hp mini running stock ECU? Bypassing the ECU usually means bypassing emissions. So as DDM commented on the task, it's not so easy.

And i am sure the torque of the M62 is greater than the M45. I saw folks mention the M62 cars may have cooler air. What is the sc drain comparison on the motor from the M62 vs. M45?

In all this the point is not to be oppositional or a naysayer, but why reinvent the wheel. The M62 has been around for a while. There are some who have figured the pros and cons of the project. Cooperation helps.

Just remember the journey is the goal. Enjoy.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Skiploder
Banned
What happened to the M7 numbers?
Last we heard they were having some fueling issues...........it's been awhile and that thread has all but died.

Bob, I think you've been lucky so far in that your car is still running. Pushing the envelope is fine as long as your willing to accept all the bad things that can happen to your car.

I was talking to a local tuner here in Norcal who races and modifies Audis and VWs. They attempted to develop an M62 package for the NA 4-banger VW engine. Having already experimented with the M45 with positive results they got a customer to donate a mule and forged ahead with the project.

To make a long story short they learned some of the same lessons it appears are being learned with the Mini application - namely while torque got a decent boost, they were having a hell of a time tuning the car. They pushed and pushed and pushed with the end result being a grenaded engine. Final verdict - in order to properly implement the kit, the entire ECU would need to be revamped, each car individually tuned, etc. They stopped there. When I told them the same thing was being tried with the 1.6L MCS engine, they predicted that the kit would never be sold. As one of the tech put it, "that itty bitty engine will not like that 62 at all."

I hope that whoever owns the Mini out here receiving the M7 M62 transplant is as happy with his car as you are Bob. I don't think it's good that we haven't heard anything yet. Screw the numbers for now - it's obvious the kit is nowhere near complete - I'd like to know how that M7 car is doing.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M62 dyno numbers