North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain M62 dyno numbers (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/91054-m62-dyno-numbers.html)

SpiderX 02-02-2007 12:47 PM

M62 dyno numbers

Dave just called an he achieved 225 whp w 190 tq this afternoon..... he is currently on the way to Atlanta from Greenville.... he says the power is the smoothest he has ever felt it... I will ask him to post the graphs when he can

all in all I am very pleased but still looking for 10 more.... we keep finding things that can be improved

correction Sat morning .... Dave said the tq was 191

TheBlackBrian 02-02-2007 01:22 PM

Is this with a stock head?

ChrisW 02-02-2007 01:34 PM

Can you please list the mods he has?

dave 02-02-2007 02:02 PM

Thread moved to the 1st Generation MINIs area.

DrPhilGandini 02-02-2007 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlackBrian (Post 1352938)
Is this with a stock head?

Brian- read his list of mods: he has a Webb head! You should be pretty familiar with those, eh? SpiderX would like a little more power from all those mods, but the variance is large enough to explain the numbers he's posting.

cheers,

pmello 02-03-2007 03:46 AM

This is good!

SpiderX 02-03-2007 05:16 AM

Good Morning,

I am getting over break up with a GF and not quite myself...... (all sympathy taken)

any way...

DDM intake
M7 62 TB
M62 SC complete kit with electric WP
DFIC
honed matched intake mfld and plenum (WMS)
WMS head +1/+1
Schrick race Cam
Unichip custom tune
custom TRI-Y header - matched
Milltek cat-back
M7 plasma booster
nology wires
pilo ingition

and a bunch of stuff I can't remember.

The car is running very well now...... Dave and Waylan have put their heads together and are thinking there may be another 10 whp to be in the next mo or so.... more experimenting.... (donations are not tax deductable )

honestly... this car had been a bit of an under achiever as I was only at about 200 whp before the 62.... TULS drove the car at the Dragon last year and we estimated about 215 but I never got to the dyno to verify at that point.... realistically, I think my car has had at least 100 runs on the dyno...it is hard to remember all the dynos that I have had done at various stages...... FWIW, this whole dyno thing is .......my personal dyno in my garage complete with a tuner and my NASCAR like team of mechanics and engineers at my disposal makes all of this very immediate at my wish.... Oh, I forgot...add to that..... I also have unlimited time and money (NOT)

that being said..... I have been wrestling with getting a 56 and selling the SpiderX

62Lincoln 02-03-2007 06:12 AM

Hey Spider, it would be very interesting to see the torque curve for the car in its current state of tune. That 190 figure is impressive as is, but I'm curious to see if the curve is flatter than usual, and perhaps peaks sooner and has a longer duration before falling off, than usual. I'm not so hung up on peak hp, as you could easily manipulate that number by raising your redline. But, if this work with the M62 has fundamentally shifted the nature of the torque curve, that is a significant development, and worthy of note. Do you think there is any way to see the curve in printed form?

P.S. Hang in there with the gf stuff. :thumbsup:

SpiderX 02-03-2007 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by 62Lincoln (Post 1353983)
Hey Spider, it would be very interesting to see the torque curve for the car in its current state of tune. That 190 figure is impressive as is, but I'm curious to see if the curve is flatter than usual, and perhaps peaks sooner and has a longer duration before falling off, than usual. I'm not so hung up on peak hp, as you could easily manipulate that number by raising your redline. But, if this work with the M62 has fundamentally shifted the nature of the torque curve, that is a significant development, and worthy of note. Do you think there is any way to see the curve in printed form?

P.S. Hang in there with the gf stuff. :thumbsup:

Dave showed me the hp chart but he did not have the tq sheet with him.... I hope he p-lans to post them.... just got off the phone with Juston who developed the header and he is going to be looking at some other things this week.....

you are so close we should get together and you can check it out n person....

Bahamabart 02-03-2007 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpiderX (Post 1353951)

that being said..... I have been wrestling with getting a 56 and selling the SpiderX

But we live vicariously thru your expenditures. What will we do? Think about us.

:wink:

discodan 02-03-2007 01:53 PM

no! don't sell! BTW...what's a "56"?

TampaMCS 02-03-2007 02:12 PM

The R56 is the new 07 MINI.

I too would be curious to see the torque curve before and after.

discodan 02-03-2007 02:49 PM

OH!:thumbsup: thought maybe a 356 Porsche

SharoSC02 02-03-2007 04:22 PM

Good stuff Spider. I can't imagine selling my 02 MCS with all the mods I have done to it. It's almost where I want it to be. I still have few more mods to go as far as power gains and suspenion along with wheels and tires.

I like to get few more psi on top of my 14.5 which is max.

Any ideas as to how besides going to the 62 SC?

DarkMiniCooperS 02-03-2007 04:29 PM

Great numbers!!

I guess the M62 kit still needs some fine tuning but it is a great alternative to Twin-charging.

Sorry about you and you ex GF breaking up... :-(

SpiderX 02-03-2007 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS (Post 1354616)
Great numbers!!

I guess the M62 kit still needs some fine tuning but it is a great alternative to Twin-charging.

Sorry about you and you ex GF breaking up... :-(

Thanks.... yes, I miss her quite a bit... thanks for the support....

The fine tuning is about done..... Dave has done a masterful job of tuning my car (Unichip) and it is running great top to bottom......

blissful...... the 62 on my car is at about 20 - 20.5psi .... it was at a high of about 16psi with a 19% pulley..... heat is your enemy and all this boost has a double edge sword to it....I also threw 2 belts at bad times with the 19%

billie_morini 02-03-2007 06:52 PM

WARNING: this post is humour

That first post doesn't say whether all that horse power is at the front or rear wheels. Maybe it is all of them!

sdv515 02-03-2007 07:37 PM

its at the front driver and rear passenger wheels. duh

whskysouth 02-03-2007 08:17 PM

More Dyno Numbers...

MINIBLU just made it home. Dave brought her down from Greenville.
Max Horse power is 190.
Max Torque is 168.

Mods...
DDM CAI
DDM M62
Livewires
ScreaminDemon coil.

I just took her for a quick spin. In 2nd gear at 4K, send the accelerator to the floor and you end up planted in the seat.

Thanks,
Dave, Whalen, Bob and Dain....

sprp85 02-03-2007 08:22 PM

lower than what I have expected..... :sad:

whskysouth 02-03-2007 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by sprp85 (Post 1354917)

My car was essentialy stock. Base S is around 150 to 155 at the wheels. This is a totally different car with the M62

CustomAV 02-03-2007 08:25 PM

Bob-

way to go!

I got off the phone with Dave yesterday and he told me the good news. He also mentioned how he finally (now that he is a certified Unichip tuner/dealer) got your chip tuned which helped smooth things out.

Nice to hear those numbers. Right now I am pushing for +200 without the 62 and then we go from there. Should be getting it dyno'd week afer next. Was going to do it today but I was throwing a code because I was too stupid to reconnect the temp sensor in the bumper (didn't know that was the code and thought it may be something more serious)

Just waiting for that head and the headers.....

chris

CustomAV 02-03-2007 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by sprp85 (Post 1354917)

Which one? Spider's or whskysouth?

I saw both of these cars in the garage while mine lived there for test fitting.

I gotta say that 190 is pretty damn good for a stock car with nothing more than the 62 and an intake! Just wait till he throws a pulley, headers, head and exhaust on there......

anyway, nice to see the nam name with the other 62 from Dave (other than Dain).

chris

sprp85 02-03-2007 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CustomAV (Post 1354925)
Which one? Spider's or whskysouth?

I saw both of these cars in the garage while mine lived there for test fitting.

I gotta say that 190 is pretty damn good for a stock car with nothing more than the 62 and an intake! Just wait till he throws a pulley, headers, head and exhaust on there......

anyway, nice to see the nam name with the other 62 from Dave (other than Dain).

chris

Spider's car..
I was hoping for somewhere around 230whp and 200tq..

cooper99 02-04-2007 01:51 AM

What type dyno was the car dynoed on?

I'm sorry but I would be pi$$ed to have 190 whp with the M62, intake, coil, and plug wires. I could get 180 to the wheels with only a 15% pulley for 1/15 the cost.

With all this new turbo talk, I don't believe the M62 will go big, especially with the smaller than expected gains.