Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Brilliant new engine? Munich struggling to get power and reliability...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 AM
slag1911
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brilliant new engine? Munich struggling to get power and reliability...

BMW’s aim from the start to go above and beyond the 210bhp of the current JCW and reach something closer to 220 - 225bhp....

But plans and execution are two different things. Word is that the folks in Munich have been struggling to get the power and reliability out of the new 1.6L Turbo. With the old iron block supercharged Tritec mill, a simple reduction pulley, higher performance supercharger and inter-cooler made it relatively easy to turn up the wick and get 40-45 more bhp. However with the ultra high-tech Turbo engine in the R56 already well optimized for performance, the answer isn’t as easy. Because of this, MINI may be going old-school. Reportedly one solution currently on the table is to bore the 1.6L out to a 1.8L and increase power the old-fashion way - with a larger engine. Keep in mind though, nothing has been finalized yet so consider this simply one potential option at this point.

http://motoringfile.com/2007/01/24/2...s-up-to-speed/

Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
boy thats depressing. It would probably be easier for them to drop the compression and upping the boost then boring the damn block. But then again if this is done from factory... probably wouldnt matter either way.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bear in mind that BMW might not be able to extract much more power from the motor but that doesn't mean that aftermarket companies won't step in with better turbos and FMICs, hotter cams, and parts for better breathing as well as tuning software to match. BMW must make sure every upgrade they do to the car doesn't diminish fuel economy, emissions, and NVH levels too dramatically and obviously they can't tune it to the very edge of detonation since they have to warranty the possibility of some owners not taking care of the car. Like most factory forced induction vehicles I'm sure the new Cooper S runs pretty rich while on boost so there may be some power gains to be had by leaning out the upper RPMS beyond what the factory would allow. While the Tritec motor only required a pulley to change the boost, this new motor will only require a $50 manual boost controller once the aftermarket warms up to the new platform.
I'm glad I got my 06 MCS since there's a more developed aftermarket but I see this new motor as having more potential.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I think this rumor is B/S but plausible.

A worst-case scenario is the R56 MCS is running 11.8psig at redline in non-overboost. Since none of the Brits are willing to belly up and check this, it's only speculation for now.

According to my inital calculations, we should be able to turn the boost up to about 16.0psig with 93 octane [that's pushing it very hard with 10.5:1 and DI]. Increasing boost by over 4psig, even with the MINI-mini turbo, should yield about +25lb/ft at 6500rpm, meaning about 201hp in the worst-case scenario. Obviously this isn't enough for JCW, so they'll have to move beyond a $0 software flash. I suspect a whole new turbo is in order. One that does give up a bit of that SRT-4-ish instant-on feel to achieve lots more top end power with no increase in boost pressure [due to higher flow-rate of the turbo].

DI is still new, especially aftermarket DI, so it'll have to be approached with caution how much flow the injectors have, however we'll see what JCW comes up with in that department.

The real cramp however, will be that damned 10.5:1 compression ratio. New pistons with let's say a 9.0:1 CR will be the ticket to turning up the boost with a bigger turbo, making big power. If I had the resources, I'd tear apart my Prince engine the day I took delivery and would have new pistons designed.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ultimate key to getting more power out of the new motor as far as aftermarket and tuners are concerned is cracking the ECU codes. Once that is done, it will remain to be seen how well the internals hold up to big increases. Remember that the new motor has direct injection, and there is so far little to no aftermarket parts or expertise in tuning and modifying these systems yet. However, there is little functional difference between the DI system in the new motor vs. just about all new diesel engines being released. In the case of the diesels, there is potential for adding scads more power and torque just from ECU coding changes, and insane levels with some bolt-on enhancements added.

Think back about five years, and the same sort of talk centered around the Tritec motor and it's capabilities. We all know how that turned out.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
I completely agree, The ECU will be the biggest stepping stone in the right direction for the aftermarket on the new engine! . I am already looking at purchasing an electric exhaust cut-out for my vehicle...tell me that wont void warrantee :P

Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
PGT
Banned
Old 01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sixblade
I completely agree, The ECU will be the biggest stepping stone in the right direction for the aftermarket on the new engine! . I am already looking at purchasing an electric exhaust cut-out for my vehicle...tell me that wont void warrantee :P

I think the challenge is heat. Limited space, limited displacement. Big boost means more heat, and this could be the limiting factor on big HP. With 170+ hp out of 1.6 liters, BMW may be at the upper limits to begin with in this configuration. It will be interesting how they position the JCW, but I suspect it will involve a displacement change. The days of a bolt on JCW upgrade may be over...

Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Isn't this configuration in a Croteon? I thought I read it was somewhere.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The BMW F1 cars of the 80's used 100k mile old 1.5L engine blocks, rebuilt it, boosted the crap out of them, and made 1,400HP in qualifying trim. Surely they can get 16% of that power now over 20 years later and have it last the warranty period.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pug 207 GT THP 150 uses the Prince, but at 150 hp spec (probably gives up power for better mileage)

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/ppp/cgi-bin..._strModeHTML=1

Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Thought it might be a resource for aftermaket goodies. Don't look like it though.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Brian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Think back about five years, and the same sort of talk centered around the Tritec motor and it's capabilities. We all know how that turned out.
touche

Old 01-25-2007, 10:04 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I think this rumor is B/S but plausible.

A worst-case scenario is the R56 MCS is running 11.8psig at redline in non-overboost. Since none of the Brits are willing to belly up and check this, it's only speculation for now.

According to my inital calculations, we should be able to turn the boost up to about 16.0psig with 93 octane [that's pushing it very hard with 10.5:1 and DI]. Increasing boost by over 4psig, even with the MINI-mini turbo, should yield about +25lb/ft at 6500rpm, meaning about 201hp in the worst-case scenario. Obviously this isn't enough for JCW, so they'll have to move beyond a $0 software flash. I suspect a whole new turbo is in order. One that does give up a bit of that SRT-4-ish instant-on feel to achieve lots more top end power with no increase in boost pressure [due to higher flow-rate of the turbo].

DI is still new, especially aftermarket DI, so it'll have to be approached with caution how much flow the injectors have, however we'll see what JCW comes up with in that department.

The real cramp however, will be that damned 10.5:1 compression ratio. New pistons with let's say a 9.0:1 CR will be the ticket to turning up the boost with a bigger turbo, making big power. If I had the resources, I'd tear apart my Prince engine the day I took delivery and would have new pistons designed.
How about if we take up a collection and then come by to watch? I'll buy the beer, too! Just tryin' to help! Isn't this what guys and cars are all about?? LOL

Old 01-26-2007, 04:05 AM
vader
4th Gear
Every time I read the often quoted statement from motoringfile, the same thing stands out: 'power and reliability'. To me, this says they CAN get the power but not in a reliable package. This also leads me to believe that a 'software only' solution isn't going to be reliable.

Two thoughts:
Its true and the engineers that designed this package and wrote the software truly can't get the power AND reliability necessary
-or-
It's all propaganda presented to discourage the aftermarket.

I think I'll keep a close watch on how this all develops.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:56 AM
PGT
Banned
let's not forget meth injection. It's a cheap way to get more boost without dialing back the timing on pump gas.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
let's not forget meth injection. It's a cheap way to get more boost without dialing back the timing on pump gas.
that will work wonders with the warranty

Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by illeagalhunter
that will work wonders with the warranty
if you are worried about warranty, you wouldn't be cranking up the boost on your car in the first place.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by surfblue
How about if we take up a collection and then come by to watch? I'll buy the beer, too! Just tryin' to help! Isn't this what guys and cars are all about?? LOL
Let's do it!

All we need is a piston house to donate their wares to design and fab a hot new piston set. ...I wonder how similar the Prince pistons are to the Tritec engine, since the bores are identical?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Look at what GIAC has done with the 2.0 A3/VW GTi DI motor:

"GIAC performance software for the 2007 - 2006 A3® 2.0T smoothly delivers a 18-50hp and 50-85 ft-lbs gain. For optimum power gains the software must be coupled with a cold air intake, exhaust, and the latest factory upgraded rail pump (although GIAC offers software options for all factory rail pumps). "

If I were a betting man - I'd start where my competitors have first rather than re-invent the wheel.

Kurt

Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Daillestchop
1st Gear
pardon me...but i think i havea quick, simple, and reliable solution.....i kno that one of the big problems with the engine is that it is aluminum, therefore you cant really put out as much power because it might, well, blow....as opposed to an iron block. soooo......why dont they just fit iron sleevs, install some lower comp. pistons....and bump up the boost with a nice front mount intercooler, and a more free-slowing exhaust.....that would be soo much more simpler.....if this doesnt sound like a viable option...please...someone explain to me why.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
sixblade
2nd Gear
From what i have read from various sorces...the cylinders are already sleeved. but other than that, thats a good target.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sixblade
From what i have read from various sorces...the cylinders are already sleeved. but other than that, thats a good target.
Yep... as has been covered before, the new engine has cast iron sleeves from the factory. Here's a snippet from MINI's own (very long) press release involving the R56:

"Fuel is injected into the turbocharged four-cylinder by means of common rail direct injection technology. The stainless-steel common rail connecting all cylinders is filled with fuel under high pressure by a pressure pump at the rear end of the intake camshaft. Injection valves positioned at the side in the cylinder head deliver fuel within fractions of a second and in exactly the right amounts from the rail directly to the combustion chambers, four valve pockets and the combustion trough in the middle of each piston ensuring optimum stratification of the homogeneous fuel/air mixture with a lambda factor of 1.0. Running in cast-iron bushes and operating with a compression ratio of 10.5 : 1 relatively high for a turbocharged power unit, the pistons subject to high thermal loads are cooled by splash oil."

The whole article can be found here if you want some more technical insight into the car:

http://motoringfile.com/2006/10/14/e...-long-version/

Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 AM
lava
5th Gear
The whole article can be found here if you want some more technical insight into the car:

http://motoringfile.com/2006/10/14/e...-long-version/

Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lava
Technical insight? No, no, I think we are interested in fearful rumors, no insight please... :P
True, true. One of the unwritten rules of the internet forum.

I tried to delete the post, but only found where I could edit... oh, well.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Brilliant new engine? Munich struggling to get power and reliability...