Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain LSD explanations from GNK

Old 10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
LSD explanations from GNK

Hi motorers! (I like that intro lol)

Last week, I sent an email to GNK, the manufacturer of MINI LSD. I wanted to know the time the LSD would last...

I thought some people around her would like to know this info, so I am sharing the email

Thanks for your recent enquiry on GKN's website and nice to hear good things about our 'SuperLSD'.
The design life for the differential is equal to that of the vehicle - call it 150,000 miles - but that depends on usage and maintenance. The main wear related effects will be a gradual drop-off in torque biasing capability (called 'TBR') and an inevitable increase in the propensity to make noise when working hard. These two aspects are common for all torque biasing LSDs irrespective of the mechanical layout of the LSD or it's manufacturer.
The TBR of the SuperLSD that you have fitted into your Mini is in the range 1.8 to 2. As you say it is noticeable enough to be useful, but does not introduce the issues related to high TBR devices in front wheel drive vehicles. I tested two Mini's back to back on a frozen Swedish lake a couple of years ago and the LSD equipped vehicle had better traction (obviously), but more importantly was much more settled backing off the throttle into bends. It was easier to drive quickly that the open differential car.
Since it sounds like you are an enthusiast you need to pay attention to maintenance. I would recommend that you keep a close eye on the level and condition of your transmission fluid. Always use the BMW recommended fluid, since it was developed for this application. An expensive aftermarket fluid might work just as well, but it may also have dire consequences for your seals, bearings, gears or the LSD. It may also affect your shift quality. Be vigilant for noise during split mu launches or repetitive hard cornering. The differential is not being damaged, but the fluid is being overworked and overheated and hence the potential need to renew it.
Hopefully I have addressed your question.
Thanks for being a customer.
Regards,
Rob.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:46 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
I tested two Mini's back to back on a frozen Swedish lake a couple of years ago and the LSD equipped vehicle had better traction (obviously), but more importantly was much more settled backing off the throttle into bends.

Huh? Could someone explain this?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
:impatient Chalk another one up to BMW who insists we'll never need to change the fluid in out differentials I plan on my MINI making it well into the 500k, guess I better change my fluid real darn soon so I get beyond their 150k expectancy. I forsee this being more of a headache than I want it to be.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Someone asked me for GKN website adress... But his PM box is full, so here are the info:

The GKN website is :
http://www.gkndriveline.co.uk/

And the info about MINI Cooper S LSD is :
http://www.gkndriveline.co.uk/gkn-dr...s/tmd/slsd.jsp

Contact info are on the website.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
I tested two Mini's back to back on a frozen Swedish lake a couple of years ago and the LSD equipped vehicle had better traction (obviously), but more importantly was much more settled backing off the throttle into bends.

The LSD more evenly apportions torque between the two front wheels - under acceleration AND deceleration. When getting OUT of the power, this means engine drag on BOTH front wheels with an LSD rather than one. Not more TOTAL drag, just more EVEN drag. Settles the car nicely and allows more controllable off-throttle "rotation" (back end coming out slightly, or "tightening your line").

Hope that helps!