Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain HDI now available direct from DDM

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 08:12 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
when SC porting was all the rage, I found Steigmeier, and posted all the contact information and price for all. At that time, you could only buy from M7 or Endyne. I did it to be nice to the community, as there are lots of vendors out there that sell to wider markets than just Mini and may not even be aware of our existance here. In the end it turns out that Steigmeier is who does M7s SCs..... But I'll admit the possibility that some may have gone straight to Steigmeier instead of M7. And Peter and I are still on good terms!

Some have posted about AJUSA.com for K&N products (real cheap and free shipping). I and others have referenced eBay to get Densos at a significant savings over the vendors here.....

So what's the point of all this? Well, that while there are vendor rules and the like, the area of pointing out other market sources for product that isn't from a registered vendor is in a very grey area. If talk is limited to only registered vendors, the value of learning here is greatly diminished. If anyone can post about any product, there's no value in the vendor status. Seems to me the only workable solution is that people can talk about what they've found in the market, and vendors can only talk about their stuff directly if they register.

Alta didn't fold when Webb switched to other vendors, and the HDI finds channels to the market when the manufacturer and the sales channel no longer see eye to eye. Life goes on, and it's certainly not worth the bandwidth that has been spent on the issue.....

FWIW, I'll keep posting finds, even if they don't come from a registered vendor, and I sure hope others do to. While it's nice to keep the vendors in business, it's not our responsibility to shield them from the competative forces in the marketplace.....

Another way to put it is that if anyone thinks I'm spending $12 a plug for densos, they're smoking crack, no matter how much they've contributed to the Mini community!

So on the posting that you can get the HDI direct from DMM? Great stuff! Keep it coming. Remember, markets only work if there is unfettered access to information...... Personally, I don't care who buys from which supplier. Everyone can make their own decision there. But you have to know that there are options to be able to make the choice.

This one is muddied more by never to be completely clear partitioning of the product design work. And while that is true, it doens't matter for squat. It only matters if the parties agreed to some sort of partitioning of the design content or IP. If this didn't happen, anyone can go knock them off! That's the market for you. But that's also an issue that doesn't get played out here. I haven't seen any patent claims on this sucker, so I guess it's a free for all, like it or not.

So lets all take a deep breath, and go back to bitching that the DFIC numbers aren't here yet!

Matt
You, have not just lost the plot, but you are also biased.

The HDI is no ajusa, steigmeir, k&n, so why are you even comparing it to those situations?

And for people to support this type of behaviour from DDM is just BS.

Who the EFF are they anyway?

What input did they have into the development of all the products you have on your car Dr. Obnxs? WMS has been a key player in the development of performance parts for the MINI, yet phoneys like yourself fully support situations where these hard working tuners get screwed over. I'm sure if the same thing happened to M7 you would be changing your tune quick time. Hence me calling you biased.

Just because there are unhappy customers out there pissed off at Webb for issues with their PROTOTYPE exhaust, and their HDI boxes (HDEFFINGI HINT EFFING HINT), doesnt mean that WMS are a bunch of douche-bags, doesn't mean they don't know how to run a business nor does it mean that people should not support them.

ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE PISSED OFF AT WMS FOR NOT RECEIVING YOUR HDI BOXES, CAN THANK DDM FOR THAT.

But that is ok. Because like I said earlier, the new WMS product will eat the HDI for breakfast, the Alta for lunch, and the AGS for dinner.

In a way, we are all glad that this has happened. Because it has made Webb Motorsports stronger.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Bob:

I want to be clear in stating that I don't believe for a second that you started this thread with the intent of any wrong doing.

You are an avid member of this community and have posted positive things about about every vendor you've done business with.

Olive branch accepted - but seriously, the only issue I had was with the Mods allowing the thread to exist without modifying it.
Works for me.......thanks

Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
quick question, if DDM doesnt have a silicone hose for the HDI, will the alta hose work with it? and if it will, is there alot of modifacation that involves getting it to fit?

thanks-

Old 08-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE PISSED OFF AT WMS FOR NOT RECEIVING YOUR HDI BOXES, CAN THANK DDM FOR THAT.
I like this thread; however I really don't want to get involved. I have nothing against any vendor on NAM. I have nothing against Randy Webb at all. He seems like a good guy. When I hear the MASS amount of people saying how WMS doesn't return phone calls, emails ect is just not good for business. I have called other venders and left messages and they returned the phone call within hours. Please keep this in mind before you guys go bashing anyone. It's all about business and Public Relations. Some businesses have better PR than others. If I pay you for a product and I don't receive it I would be annoyed....especially if I called the company that I bought it from and they didn't return my call. I would be furious...it doesn't matter why they didn't send it but the fact that a simple phone call or an e-mail wasn't sent to explain. I like how people are sticking up for there favorite vendor and supporting them, good job! However remember that these vendors or manufactures also have an account and speak for them selves if they choose too. I wish everyone would just stop, take a deep breath, relax and try to put things into perspective. -- Johan

Old 08-11-2006, 08:42 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear

The HDI is no ajusa, steigmeir, k&n, so why are you even comparing it to those situations?

What input did they have into the development of all the products you have on your car Dr. Obnxs? WMS has been a key player in the development of performance parts for the MINI, yet phoneys like yourself fully support situations where these hard working tuners get screwed over. I'm sure if the same thing happened to M7 you would be changing your tune quick time. Hence me calling you biased.

Just because there are unhappy customers out there pissed off at Webb for issues with their PROTOTYPE exhaust, and their HDI boxes (HDEFFINGI HINT EFFING HINT), doesnt mean that WMS are a bunch of douche-bags, doesn't mean they don't know how to run a business nor does it mean that people should not support them.

But that is ok. Because like I said earlier, the new WMS product will eat the HDI for breakfast, the Alta for lunch, and the AGS for dinner.

In a way, we are all glad that this has happened. Because it has made Webb Motorsports stronger.
You are very angry....we get that....what you are doing is making people wonder why the business between a company that has little interest an no real infrastructure for selling direct and WMS went bad.....the answers are few....none of them shed a good light on WMS......is this really what you want....

Old 08-11-2006, 08:44 AM
hornguys
5th Gear
I rarely get into the wars on this forum, and I won't stay in this one, but your statement above is simply unbelievable.

The Webb folks are great people, but if you think they are stronger just now, with having to be closed in the meat of the business week due to limited resources, then I have several bridges with your names on them.

Businesses that are growing - that are stronger than ever - do not resort to having to be closed for several days in the middle of the business week. That's just plain commonsense.

Personally, I greatly hope they can pull out of their troubles. I have spent several thousands of dollars with Randy, and he was always extremely informative and courteous beyond expectations.

But IMO, they are most certainly NOT stronger just now, if we can judge from all the telltale signs that we see with most any business who finds itself at a similar juncture.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
quick question, if DDM doesnt have a silicone hose for the HDI, will the alta hose work with it? and if it will, is there alot of modifacation that involves getting it to fit?

thanks-

Works quite well. I didn't make any mods to the hose to make it fit the HDI unit I ordered in 1 phone call and received on time.
All the way from Colorado

Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hornguys
I rarely get into the wars on this forum, and I won't stay in this one, but your statement above is simply unbelievable.

The Webb folks are great people, but if you think they are stronger just now, with having to be closed in the meat of the business week due to limited resources, then I have several bridges with your names on them.

Businesses that are growing - that are stronger than ever - do not resort to having to be closed for several days in the middle of the business week. That's just plain commonsense.

Personally, I greatly hope they can pull out of their troubles. I have spent several thousands of dollars with Randy, and he was always extremely informative and courteous beyond expectations.

But IMO, they are most certainly NOT stronger just now, if we can judge from all the telltale signs that we see with most any business who finds itself at a similar juncture.
A good point

I have bought from Randy;

TB, head, header, cat-back, Unichip, h sports, Konis, sway bar, pulley, honed intake manifold, camber plates, short shifter made my car the mule for the WMS exhaust and posted video and answered counless questions and more that I can't remember..... I am not anti Randy..... he is one of the pioneers for Mini mods and his infectious enthusiam was a catalyst for me to "get nuts" with my car.....

IN fact as I write this it is he who owes me the call back....

Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Believe it.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:01 AM
lou
2nd Gear
THAT is exactly the spirit we need as MINI owners and members of the community. Do not buy from a big box supplier who plows nothing back to the community and then use a NAM vendor for the how to's or CALL and ask how to install the big box item you saved $5.00 at purchase point. Cheap comes at a price and not always a savings.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:07 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by Johan
When I hear the MASS amount of people saying how WMS doesn't return phone calls, emails ect is just not good for business.
Johan thanks for your input. I was at WMS this week and I have seen they have made every attempt to improve on this. They have Vicki there now, and she is sharp! And very nice on the phone. Hopefully, unreturned calls from WMS will be a thing of the past. Please try to keep supporting them, because they really are making every attempt to support you.

Originally Posted by Johan
I have called other venders and left messages and they returned the phone call within hours. Please keep this in mind before you guys go bashing anyone.
What you say is true.... but true for a very good reason. Alot of the other vendors either 1)Dont test their products. 2) Dont race with their products. 3) Dont even have MINIs

Put the 3 above together and you will have your average MINI vendor and great customer service.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply disgusting... the thread is getting hot. hew i'm outta here

Old 08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
Johan thanks for your input. I was at WMS this week and I have seen they have made every attempt to improve on this. They have Vicki there now, and she is sharp! And very nice on the phone. Hopefully, unreturned calls from WMS will be a thing of the past. Please try to keep supporting them, because they really are making every attempt to support you.
odd...I heard almost the same thing verbatim from Randy back in December when trying to buy a Milltek exhaust and went a week with no reply. "Just wait!!! You'll see!" Ok...great!....show me, don't tell me it's going to get better.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I have asked Dave (moderator) if he would consider closing the thread.....I tried to save it but I don't think it can be done.... I will ask Dave at DDM to make a formal announcement and there questions pertaing to the intake can be taken

Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Skiploder
Banned

I think they may end up surprising a lot of people.

Webb is no dummy and is frankly too smart to go hungry. He's apparently simplifying the business, he's selling the Mule and the Elise in an effort to put more $$$ back into the business.

In the past, other Vendors have benefitted from Webb's innovation and the fact that he was willing travel to your City to install not only parts that he developed, but parts that other Vendors brought to market.

So the new model may include him producing, manufacturing and exclusively selling his own go fast bits. This would avoid any potential issues with manufacturers and other Vendors using his name, cred and install time to promote their products.

In the end, he should be able to make more money on each sale as in the past he made as much if not more money from the installs. This will lead to him being home more and being less reliant on pulley parties to make a buck.

On Friday I ordered a part from Webb. On Monday it was on my doorstep. With the exception of the HDI brouhahha, this is a sign that the refocusing of his efforts are paying dividends.

I also called the shop at 10:00 PM (his time) last night to thank him for the prompt shipping of my order. I was more than pleasantly surprised to have him pick up the phone and spend about 15 minutes chatting. He and young master Black were apparently at the shop, filling orders and working on installs.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
I think they may end up surprising a lot of people.

Webb is no dummy and is frankly too smart to go hungry. He's apparently simplifying the business, he's selling the Mule and the Elise in an effort to put more $$$ back into the business.

In the past, other Vendors have benefitted from Webb's innovation and the fact that he was willing travel to your City to install not only parts that he developed, but parts that other Vendors brought to market.

So the new model may include him producing, manufacturing and exclusively selling his own go fast bits. This would avoid any potential issues with manufacturers and other Vendors using his name, cred and install time to promote their products.

In the end, he should be able to make more money on each sale as in the past he made as much if not more money from the installs. This will lead to him being home more and being less reliant on pulley parties to make a buck.

On Friday I ordered a part from Webb. On Monday it was on my doorstep. With the exception of the HDI brouhahha, this is a sign that the refocusing of his efforts are paying dividends.

I also called the shop at 10:00 PM (his time) last night to thank him for the prompt shipping of my order. I was more than pleasantly surprised to have him pick up the phone and spend about 15 minutes chatting. He and young master Black were apparently at the shop, filling orders and working on installs.
That is good to hear

Old 08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I have asked Dave (moderator) if he would consider closing the thread.....I tried to save it but I don't think it can be done.... I will ask Dave at DDM to make a formal announcement and there questions pertaing to the intake can be taken
It was looking like it might turn a corner there for a moment, but yes, it seems the time has come for this thread to come to a close.