Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Engine Light On: OBD code P1683 - Because of Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Light On: OBD code P1683 - Because of Mods?

Hi Everyone,

Okay so I've been modding my Cooper's engine a part at a time this year, first fitting an K&N intake, then a larger throttle body (M7), then the MTH Manifold, Magnecor wires and Denso plugs.

I noticed that after a put in the larger throttle body, idle was kind a rough periodically, it rumbles really hard like it's about to stall but then it goes away. I just put in the headers a few weeks ago and it seems like I'm stalling a lot especially when I have the AC on.

Last night I was accelerating off a red light, that rumble came on again and all of a sudden I lost lots of power (close to nothing) felt like I'm almost stalling but not really, engine light popped up. I turned off the car and it came back to life thank god.

I plugged in my Diagnostics tool and it read P1683: Electronic Throttle Control Monitor Level 2/3 Idle Speed 'B' Calculation Fault

My question: Is my Cooper's behavior due to my hardware mods minus the software? Is it getting confused because of more airflow? I haven't loaded my MTH tuner file yet because MTH USA is taking they're sweet freakin' time (almosts 3 weeks). If I load the file in will it fix the fault?

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Randy

Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Weird. The engine light isn't on anymore. Nevermind! Thanks for looking anyways.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Darn it! Damn light came back on. Can a moderator move this to MTH Support Forum please? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
You should try to install the stock throttle body and see if the problem i still there...

Or check that the connectors on the TB plug are all ok ...

Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd second the TB connector.

It's strange, but I've found that the TB connector can seat a bit farther than is needed to get the lock to engage. Try making sure that the connector is really seated good. This is a fault from not being able to read the TB position pots well....

If the problem persists, you may have a problem inside the TB. Give PEter a call to arrange an exchange....

Matt

Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 AM
haulinS
3rd Gear
it probably has something to do with the volume calculation in the software, since you are changing the amount of vol. coming in/out of the engine.

your Tuner file should take care of this. If you are not getting the Tuner file for a while, I agree that you should swap the stock TB back on there and see what happens.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
UberFisch
3rd Gear
I am going with a throttle body problem or connection problem as well- check that out first, then put the OEM TB in

Old 04-13-2007, 04:15 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
I'm getting this same code with the stock throttle body on a 2005 MCSa. Only mods are CAI and 17% pulley. Even when the motor was completely stock it started rough in the morning when it was cold especially. Never threw a code until now at around 38k miles.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranzo
Hi Everyone,

Okay so I've been modding my Cooper's engine a part at a time this year, first fitting an K&N intake, then a larger throttle body (M7), then the MTH Manifold, Magnecor wires and Denso plugs.

I noticed that after a put in the larger throttle body, idle was kind a rough periodically, it rumbles really hard like it's about to stall but then it goes away. I just put in the headers a few weeks ago and it seems like I'm stalling a lot especially when I have the AC on.

Last night I was accelerating off a red light, that rumble came on again and all of a sudden I lost lots of power (close to nothing) felt like I'm almost stalling but not really, engine light popped up. I turned off the car and it came back to life thank god.

I plugged in my Diagnostics tool and it read P1683: Electronic Throttle Control Monitor Level 2/3 Idle Speed 'B' Calculation Fault

My question: Is my Cooper's behavior due to my hardware mods minus the software? Is it getting confused because of more airflow? I haven't loaded my MTH tuner file yet because MTH USA is taking they're sweet freakin' time (almosts 3 weeks). If I load the file in will it fix the fault?

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Randy
I'd say TB too. It was explained to me that the engine computer calculates a specified amount of air entering the engine during various stages of the intake sy.stem. When the MAF detects that based on the position the TB is in, it's pulling in too much air, it throws a code.

A lot of people have had the same problem .