Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain So many intakes.. so little time

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 09:56 AM
merlin50623
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my MCS about a week ago, so i am a little new to all the mini aftermarket products, and am looking to put a new intake in it along with some other performance mods. However, there seems to be a plethora of diferent intakes out there with no real comparing data. If someone could shed a little light on this for me, i would be eternally greatful. Thanks

Christian

Ps: Do you think i would be better off going for the pully first, i am on a fairly tight, still in college budget.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:59 AM
2minis
6th Gear
I can hear the thoughts in Randys mind churning...
RandyBMC...the man to talk to....

Old 03-21-2003, 10:00 AM
IQQIMINI
Coordinator :: Mid-Ohio Motoring Club
Christian,

Congrats on your new MINI.

I am also on a budget, and after apeaking with Randy, selected the Madness intake. I ordered it today.

That's my suggestion... better power, better install, better sound, better feel. And more money ($240) than the BMP or Pipercross. I trust Randy when he says it's worth it.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:01 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I just got my MCS about a week ago, so i am a little new to all the mini aftermarket products, and am looking to put a new intake in it along with some other performance mods. However, there seems to be a plethora of diferent intakes out there with no real comparing data.

Randy has some nice comparison data and text on the more popular intakes on http://www.mini-motorsport.com

Old 03-21-2003, 10:11 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
merlin,

Welcome to MCO!!!

There is actually quite a bit of information comparing the latest and greatest intakes on the market right here on MINICooperOnline. I'll give you a cursory glimpse, but use the search function up in the right corner in little yellow letters. Put in the keywords Intake and my name, you'll get a ton of info.

BMP - great system, usable with the strut brace, allows a small amount of underbonnet air into the intake through the very back of the heat shield. Excellent fit and finish. 4-6 horsepower consistently on a warm car. $170

Rogue/Madness - Very high quality fit and finish. Largest filter element completely sealed wiht a heat shield from the under bonnet air. 7-9 horsepower consistently on a warm car. $240

Pipercross - Somewhat lacking in the fit and finish, but a nice filter element that uses an aluminum bell intake to the throttle body hose. Similar power to the Rogue. $215

K&N - Great fit and finish. Uses a heat shield that does not keep the under bonnet air free from the intake at all. Uses replacement tubes for the snorkle and throttlebody pipes (good) made out of aluminum (not so good). Dyno tests similar to the Madness/Rogue - but once the bonnet is shut, power does fall off. $350

Monster - Very similar to the K&N issues, but with no heat shield at all. $230

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 03-21-2003, 10:41 AM
merlin50623
1st Gear
Thanks guys..... any thoughts on the pully??

Christain

Old 03-21-2003, 10:45 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>Thanks guys..... any thoughts on the pully??
>>
>>Christain

Again, use the search function (but spell it right - pulley). There's been quite a lot of talk about it in these forums, including very recently.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Thanks guys..... any thoughts on the pully??
>>
>>Christain
>>

Unless you are planning to install it yourself, and really are on a tight school budget, this is not for you. Granted the pulley costs about $200, but you are looking at around 4 hours of labor charges to install it....making it more in teh $500 install range. Seems a bit high if you are concerned about budget.

But if you are going to install it yourself (like I plan to) it's a great mod for a small cost.

As for intake, unless you are hell bent on a strut tower brace (not needed in this car, IMHO) go for the Madness intake. If you must have the brace, get the BMP.

R

Old 03-21-2003, 05:58 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>Unless you are planning to install it yourself, and really are on a tight school budget, this is not for you. Granted the pulley costs about $200, but you are looking at around 4 hours of labor charges to install it....making it more in teh $500 install range. Seems a bit high if you are concerned about budget.
>>

R,
True, we don't know his budget. HOWEVER, pulley and install can cost as little as $450. $450 vs $240 for up to 17lbs of torque vs 7-9HP, you never know. If I could only get ONE mod, from what I now know, it would be the pulley. But if you can only get one mod now, with others down the road, yeah, I think the intake is effective and easy so that would prob be best bet.