Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 215 whp vs 265/300/340 whp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:53 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
215 whp vs 265/300/340 whp?

I'm wondering what the real performance difference is between twin charge and not on my car...

My car is running about 215 whp and with some help from M7 soon will be around 220-225......

how much faster etc is 265/300/340?

in audio it takes a doubling of power to get 3 db more output... 1 - 2 watts = 3 db....... 1000 - 2000 = 3 db

without getting technical I am wondering what the real performance increases are in these power numbers..... anyone know or have guess?

Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Well SpiderX what does one do with the extra power?

Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Well SpiderX what does one do with the extra power?
brag about it

Old 06-09-2006, 04:01 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SpiderX
brag about it
I'm not trying to change your thread's subject but I was just curious.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I'm not trying to change your thread's subject but I was just curious.
actually, as the power has gone up over time... the car is more fun.....the car just does everything so much easier....

additionally, the driveability improves....as soon as that stops I will stop my power quest..... but in general as the power has gone up the motoring pleasure (for me) has gone up......and (I can't help myself ) making outlaw street racing movies is much more impressive....

Old 06-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Revolver
2nd Gear
According to Top Gear, 200 bhp v. 275 bhp (not whp) equals about 5 or 6 seconds a lap on their test track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvWq...=mini%20cooper

Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolver
According to Top Gear, 200 bhp v. 275 bhp (not whp) equals about 5 or 6 seconds a lap on their test track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvWq...=mini%20cooper
wow .... I would have never guessed that much...that is very significant....thanks

Old 06-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
power doesnt mean to much if you cant put it on the ground. Once you get to the point where you can't stop spining the tyres. then its slower and not as much fun.. unless you like doing smokey Burnouts everywhere. The 275 bhp car in the video did have suspension and other changes done to it..

Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mugami
power doesnt mean to much if you cant put it on the ground. Once you get to the point where you can't stop spining the tyres. then its slower and not as much fun.. unless you like doing smokey Burnouts everywhere. The 275 bhp car in the video did have suspension and other changes done to it..
if you read my sig...all has been done incl corner weighting

Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
That might be the case in lower gears.. but for hwy use and when there is plenty of traction available.. the power is still an asset. You can always modulate the power in lower gears for traction.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you read my sig...all has been done incl corner weighting
I thought your sig was some kind of sekrit code message to the aliens.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power doesnt mean to much if you cant put it on the ground.
Watch my vid. You can clearly see it is totally possible to put 300hp and even 400hp safely to the ground in MINIs.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Trickle X
5th Gear
Power to the ground isnt a major issue like everyone always thinks. Twin Charging changes power delivery all together. In my setup i traded low end power for top end. Around town its fine, a lil bit slower until u get the boost up, but then look out. The power is all uptop, so if your looking to open it up, then this will work well for you. If you want to know more details, just send me your number & I will give you a call.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
you missing the point to my post.. not saying that you guys arent putting it to the ground as is.. but in general the theory still stands true. so really as long as you can put the power down.. go for it.. but once it gets to the point where you cant then its no fun. Other words for those who have the hp.. try runing on MC's 7 holes on the stock 185 conti's and you will see what i mean. =)

Old 06-09-2006, 08:52 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
To get the boost sooner, a good mod would be to change the flywheel and clutch, a 12# or 14# Flywheel makes the engine rev faster, thus causing the turbo to spool up faster.

I actually was about to start a thread on this same topic, but Spidey beat me to it. Im not in the same boat he is though, because right now I have no engine mods. When seeing videos like that of Dominic's and Tuls' rides, it makes me want to twincharge and get some nice straightline power. If you go with the Helix or SPI Kit I believe they both have pods with boost controllers. If you are going to the drag strip where you need flat out power. Crank the boost to the highest, but still safe level. If you are taking the twisties, turn it down a notch to where you have the maximum perfect power level where you aren't burning rubber in every turn, but you are close. This will take some experimentation, and money however. My question is though, am I better off with going all out on a pulley car, to achieve the maximum benefit of both worlds(twisties/straightline), or a TC kit? I was planning on tracking the car several times a year at Tire Rack, and also going to the local drag strip with my buddies on Friday night.

Don't want to hijack the thread... I believe though this is what you want to get across though, isn't it SpiderX?

Mikey

Old 06-09-2006, 09:47 AM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
I think the original post is asking more about how do the 1/4 mile times or 0-60 times improve when going from 225whp to 300whp or even 400? It's been proven that even 400 whp can make it to the ground and be prefectly drivable. I don't thiink that's the issue. He's wanting to know how much of a difference steps in horsepower makes.

For example, going from 225whp to 300whp would allow you to drop your 1/4 mile time .7 seconds and 0-60 .3 seconds. (those figures are made up, just giving an example) Of course there are lots of variable but some rough data would be great.

I'm curious about this too because in a few months I'll be getting a MCS myself. I'm debating getting either a modified MCS (JCW or aftermarket) or going TT. Of course this is going to depend on how the two compare.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
There's an old saying that goes something like, "the only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic dollars". The first 20 hp are pretty cheap,then they get progressively more expensive. But I digress.

The TurboKompressor has been totally worth it. This is the first time that, when I'm in the sweet spot and go wot, I actually scare myself. Some of this is due to the autocross alignment, but there really is "holy *****" levels of power.

I've done the progression: 15%-> 19% -> GIAC/injectors-> fw/clutch/crankpulley -> Turbokompressor. The last step was the most satisfying.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:29 PM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
I don't doubt that pretty much everyone that has gone Twincharged doesn't regret it and the enjoyment increases as the horsepower increases. I just think that the original post was trying to get actual numbers of how much it increases.

Telling people that twincharging is fun, you'll love driving it, etc. is great but does anyone have any hard numbers on how your performance changed as you went up in hp?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
THere is no lag on the TC cars.... I make 12 lbs or so of boost at 2000 rpms...

Spider the difference is huge... it's unexplainable... even the difference between 275 WHP and 300 for me was un real... I couldn't belive the way the car changed.... it when from wow this is really fast to HOLY $#%$ that's fast.... every thing up to 275 was a nice change... but nothing out of the ordinary.... crossing the 300 mark was where the car became a jeckle and hyde... cause now when I drive around she's normal... till I come down on the throttle... then it's just a monster... now this maybe for me... some people might ride in a 250 WHP car and feel that way... ever person's level is different

on the drag strip a 100 WHP equates to about a 1 second... for the same car... adding 100 doesn't mean the car goes faster... cause it's YOU that is doing the driving... it just means it COULD...

if you are still unsure... when you watch Dom's video... the first shot after he finishes talking... I start out behind him.... and then pass him with ease.. he was @ WOT... 100 hp difference... that's what it's like....

so for the track... you get the same car... the diff is... now when you hit the straight.... you will leave people...

Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
actually, as the power has gone up over time... the car is more fun.....the car just does everything so much easier....

additionally, the driveability improves....as soon as that stops I will stop my power quest..... but in general as the power has gone up the motoring pleasure (for me) has gone up......and (I can't help myself ) making outlaw street racing movies is much more impressive....
Tuls have you done any autoX? If so how was the handling, was the car still within it's limits? How about twisties/canyons, they still good?

Mikey

Old 06-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Trickle X
5th Gear
Tuls on the SPI (Fireballed)cars I am sure you guys dont give up lowend...as I believe your still running at least a stock pulley & then a quicker spooling turbo. I on the other hand run a 5% increase pulley & a larger turbo. So the difference is noticeable i am sure between the two TC cars. I am thinking of swapping out for a stock pulley....just to see...

In all fairness, I am still in the expiremental phase of the Alta kit. I will find a happy medium, as I am always tweaking everyday. I am getting pretty good at pulling the turbo.....

Old 06-09-2006, 01:35 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Well having been down the standard mods route. In retrospect I would just go right to a TC setup. I would have spent a bit more money but the benefits I think would outweight that.

Currently pending my TC kit and can't wait!!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:49 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trickle X
Tuls on the SPI (Fireballed)cars I am sure you guys dont give up lowend...as I believe your still running at least a stock pulley & then a quicker spooling turbo. I on the other hand run a 5% increase pulley & a larger turbo. So the difference is noticeable i am sure between the two TC cars. I am thinking of swapping out for a stock pulley....just to see...
I have way more bottom end power now that I've gone t/c'ed. When I unload the wastegate, the car is very linear in it's power developement over the RPM range. With the wastegate loaded (even at it's lowest load) the turbo is properly sized and power is immediate! It's truely insane the amount of torque I have below 3k RPMs. Tuls' car has a turbo two sizes larger. Sure it takes a little while longer to spool, but once it does, the power is noticable. You can see it in the video. He passes me like I'm standing still, even though I'm at WOT putting tonnes of power to the ground, he's putting down even more.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Tuls have you done any autoX? If so how was the handling, was the car still within it's limits? How about twisties/canyons, they still good?

Mikey
I am have not engaged in auto X... more road course stuff... I personally feel that auto X would be ofcoruse fun... but too small for such power.... I dunno...

but the twisties and canyons... OH MAN! sillyness it's great!

Old 06-09-2006, 04:47 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
but the twisties and canyons... OH MAN! sillyness it's great!
In the twisties, my car's performance was more intense than I experienced even on the race track. The race track was flat and didn't have the same conditions as I found while motoring the twisties. My heart rate was definately faster and my eyes wider than while tracking my MINI. What a rush!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 215 whp vs 265/300/340 whp?