Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Cravenspeed Tech Q&A

Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kellen, I have a R56 and would also be very interested in the 2 guage setup on each side of the tach.

Who makes a turbo boost guage and oil or water temp. guage to match the face plates of the r56 tach & speedo.

Is there a chance you will develop a package like this. A quad set up would be good too, boost, oil temp, exhaust gas temp, water temp.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
This is the way I would reccomend setting up four gauges. I know it's not quite what you had in mind, but it does offer a good veiw of all five gauges.

Here is a photo of one side set up with 3 eyebones to get the cups close to the position in the photo of Chad's (Detroit Tuned) car you posted.

Maybe with a fourth eye bone I could get it in a better spot. Tell me what you think, I could try it in the morning.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
BUMP for a Decade old thread.

It was fun for me to read through after all these years (but it might bore you). Many things have changed in the past decade, but I am still here and available to answer any questions you might have about our MINI Parts.

Changes Since 2007:
-We have at least 50 new parts and a lot of revisions!
-We will be moving for the 5th time next month
-We have a new Logo
-We have gone from 1 person to 13

We still strive to make the best quality stuff and provide the best possible service. We still make small runs and constantly revise and update our wares based on your feedback. We still serve the MINI community by supporting clubs, podcasts, events, and other vendors and this forum. If you have any questions, I will still do my best to answer them.

-=Kellen

Old 11-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
How ironic as several of us have been discussing the Gen1 oil pressure adapter that you sell. From what I can find across the web the oil pressure tap at the oil filter housing is a 3/8 BSPT thread that does not match the 3/8 NPT fitting you sell. When I asked via an email on why you sold an NPT fitting for what I could find was a British pipe thread I was told my Tritec engine was a Chrysler engine. I guess I was suppose to accept that as Chrysler was a US manufacturer the NPT fitting would work.

Now as Chrysler was owned by Daimler at that time, that Rover (the other part of engine development team) was owned by BMW, that the motor was made in Brazil (a country that uses the metric system as does Damiler and BMW) and that Chrysler did not install the Tritec in American sold cars but rather only in the European market, why would a US thread be used?

Cravenspeed is a very good company and I found it quite odd to get the Chrysler response.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 11-10-2017 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CravenSpeed (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:45 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
In hindsight, Friday afternoon is not the time to reset a Q&A thread if I am planning a weekend or R&R! Sorry for the delay, I am glad to have a real challenge right off the bat, but this is not a question I was equipped to answer from home.

I have not idea why it would be NPT vs BSPT, we just designed it to match the factory sensor and housing. I have operated under the assumption that Chrysler's involvement was the explanation, but you have certainly done more research than I have with regard to the history of the engine. I am not very concerned with that part of it, but it is important to me that it fits properly. I am very confident that we have had it right all these years but if there is a question about that; I want to investigate! I have had an oil filter housing and accompanying sensor sitting around the shop(s) since we designed the Tapless (2008). Of course, now that I need it...nowhere to be found. I will get another one by tomorrow so we can take a look. I will share photos and documents tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
A member here had some issues with the tee and from pictures that were posted it sure appears the threads don't align correctly. Some "other side of the pond" folks (with the steering wheel on the "right" side) said the thread was BSPT. Perhaps the EU cars have the BSPT and the cars coming over here have the NPT.

You have some nice stuff.

CravenSpeed (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Thanks for the compliment and your patience. I'll post this in the other thread as well but here are the results of our findings:

According to the Machinist's Handbook a 3/8" BSPT has 19 threads per inch and a pitch diameter of .622" whereas 3/8" NPT has 18 threads per inch and a pitch diameter of .612".
OEM Part on Optical Comparitor
OEM piece under the comparitor, with 5 threads measured at .277". (1/.277)x5=18 threads per inch
Tapless adapter under the comparitor, with 5 threads measured at .276. The same formula again gives us 18 threads per inch.
Shows the Tapless adapter with a pitch diameter of .614", slightly oversize but still well within spec.
Based on this research we can definitively say that BMW part# 12617513068 and our R53 Tapless adapter are both 3/8" NPT. If you follow the link there is a Now big red box on the page where you can view the prints for the part. We are putting Open Source Hardware Licenses on all of our parts (it will take time to go through everything, just one at a time for now). So if anyone wants to verify anything like this, or make their own, or suggest revisions and the like...they can.

Now, why would a US thread be used when Metric is clearly superior and all over the rest of the car...will have to remain a mystery.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
A constant question I see asked across the generations is what is the thread size of the tow hook (hinge) on my MINI? Any thoughts all knowing one?

CravenSpeed (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
A constant question I see asked across the generations is what is the thread size of the tow hook (hinge) on my MINI? Any thoughts all knowing one?
Ha! I actually know so little, but I do happen to know a little about this. The info is only a little helpful though...because the answer is that they are not any standard thread size. You will not find anything off the shelf that would fit, at least I have not.
All the Gen1 and Gen 2 MINIs (with the exception of the Countryman and Paceman) have the same thread, and the Gen3 (plus the gen2 Countryman and Paceman) have another.
Gen1/2 is .615" diameter (8 threads per inch)
Gen 3 is .765" diameter (8 threads per inch)
Gen 1/2 and Gen 3 tow bolts compared with Gen3 OEMYou might notice the steel OEM has rounded threads. Since we want our aluminum studs to stay put for our Platypus and Camera mounts, we machine them square. The softer 6061 aluminum is easily formed in the chassis threading to fit tight and not come loose due to vibration from driving.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:06 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,706 Likes on 1,375 Posts
There is a thread on motoring alliance forum that shows the 1st and 2nd Gen car tow hooks are an ACME 5/8-8 thread:

CravenSpeed (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
That would be .625" and 8 threads per inch, yes. I just didn't think that is something you can find common fasteners for. I just took a look though, and some stuff is out there.
https://www.roton.com/family/acme-ri...-nuts-7059285/

Told ya I don't know all!

Last edited by CravenSpeed; 11-14-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Cravenspeed = MINI Tech Guru

CravenSpeed (11-15-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:51 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CravenSpeed
***SNIP***
If you follow the link there is a Now big red box on the page where you can view the prints for the part. We are putting Open Source Hardware Licenses on all of our parts (it will take time to go through everything, just one at a time for now). So if anyone wants to verify anything like this, or make their own, or suggest revisions and the like...they can.
***SNIP***
You're really making all your hardware open source? That's beyond awesome.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by CSP
You're really making all your hardware open source? That's beyond awesome.
Thanks! Yep, that is the plan, and we are really excited about it too. It will not all happen at once, but I can take requests.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:51 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to say thank you for having made these version 2 nGauge (Cravenspeed) prototypes available to me. I would also like to say I'm first in line for a reprogram so the boost gauge reads PSI on the fun side side of the 0!

So my question is will my gauges still function if I use an OBD splitter to run my Accessport simultaneously?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:06 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
The Boost gauge is calibrated to query the ECU about as often as it will stand for in order to provide smooth, and rapid readings. That means that if the access port is doing the same thing they will have to take turns and everything will run slower. There should not be any harm in trying, but it could slow down the performance of either unit.