Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Cravenspeed Tech Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Bster
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry... double post.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Spankinsum
2nd Gear
Thank You for the great customer service and your attention Loren.

Awesome

Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 AM
blueheat
1st Gear
Thanks for your support of the USMINICLUB.com event in May. The team there was a great help to us.

And..I am loving my new Craven 15% pulley. That nice little red spot under the bonnet makes me smile every time.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 PM
StayTuned
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Spankinsum
Thank You for the great customer service and your attention Loren.

Awesome
Glad I was able to help. Me, Tristan and the rest of the Team Craven are here for you!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
StayTuned
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blueheat
Thanks for your support of the USMINICLUB.com event in May. The team there was a great help to us.

And..I am loving my new Craven 15% pulley. That nice little red spot under the bonnet makes me smile every time.
Tristan told me they hijacked your car and did the install in 20 minutes!
Loren

Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 PM
blueheat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CravenSpeed
Tristan told me they hijacked your car and did the install in 20 minutes!
Loren
I call it the stealth install. I think the "official" time was 23 minutes. Also consider it was in the middle of the MINIQ auto show, outside under a big tent and in front of a large crowd. They got me to run out w/someone else for additional supplies. Seems at least 30 people knew, including my wife. I did not find out until almost 4 hours later when someone ask me to go for a quick ride. It was then quite obvious, but I still did not believe it until I lifted the bonnet. Joke was on me but all I can say is .

Good to meet the team and thanks again for the support.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This wins...

Hi INGSOC,
They look similar to me too.
The "Ultimate in Diplomacy" award!

Matt

Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The "Ultimate in Diplomacy" award!

Matt
Yes, yes, Cravenspeed for President?

Old 06-19-2006, 04:47 PM
simplygriff
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Thought I'd drop you guys a line just to show off your wares a bit more. The shifter well cover looks much better with the shaft of the shifter in matching black. I had a different **** so I'm using the UUC one with the adapter for the stock ****. Overall it's a real nice product guys. Thanks. Oh and thanks again for the beer at the Dragon. I was chilling with you guys on Saturday night standing by Dan's car listening to reggae out in the parking lot. Good times!

UUC Motorwerks RK3 Shiftknob sitting on a Craven Speed Adjustable Short Shifter with Shift Well Cover

A Big Shout Out to Dan @ Grassroots Garage (you guys know him as onefastmini) Thanks for all your help and for talking me into the shifter cover.
-G

Old 06-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Bster
3rd Gear
I'm sold. Thats it, I'm putting in my order!

Old 06-20-2006, 01:47 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
definately, that looks sick.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM
StayTuned
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by simplygriff
Thought I'd drop you guys a line just to show off your wares a bit more. The shifter well cover looks much better with the shaft of the shifter in matching black. I had a different **** so I'm using the UUC one with the adapter for the stock ****. Overall it's a real nice product guys. Thanks. Oh and thanks again for the beer at the Dragon. I was chilling with you guys on Saturday night standing by Dan's car listening to reggae out in the parking lot. Good times!

UUC Motorwerks RK3 Shiftknob sitting on a Craven Speed Adjustable Short Shifter with Shift Well Cover

A Big Shout Out to Dan @ Grassroots Garage (you guys know him as onefastmini) Thanks for all your help and for talking me into the shifter cover.
-G
Thanks for the props, man. Cheers to Dan as well.

I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to let everyone know that you're invited to post pics of your Craven Speed setup here anytime.

I'll tell Tristan and Jason that you remember them.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:21 PM
StayTuned
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Bster
I'm sold. Thats it, I'm putting in my order!
Great! I'll put you down for 10? 20?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spankinsum
Actually, it fitting losely is my concern. This hub just slides on without any restriction. basically lose. Like the bolt will be the load bearer and holding on for dear life. I was expecting for it to be interference fit and hoping the anodizing would keep it's color, but to my surprise, well you know.
The best way I have found to install the crank pulley is to just use the bolt to press it on, but it needs to be torqued properly to 85 ft.lbs. The way to do this is, is to use a tool which is a bolt that you put in the #1 spark plug threads, it has a brass end so as not to damage the piston. I found this out the hard way when the pulley came off at VIR. You can find this tool here http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=4744

--Dan Zipkin

Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Spankinsum
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onefastmini
The best way I have found to install the crank pulley is to just use the bolt to press it on, but it needs to be torqued properly to 85 ft.lbs. The way to do this is, is to use a tool which is a bolt that you put in the #1 spark plug threads, it has a brass end so as not to damage the piston. I found this out the hard way when the pulley came off at VIR. You can find this tool here http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=4744

--Dan Zipkin
Hello Dan

The pulley slides on and off the crank shaft without a problem. So there is no need to press it on with the bolt. The ft lbs you add to the bolt is useless if the pulley just slides on the crank shaft, but you should always torque all bolts. Even assembly lube and loc-tite, if need be. If the tool you refer to is to hold the crank from spinning while you turn...via blocking the piston...ooch! Geez, if the motors in the car and you have a tranny with driveshafts in tact... you could just have someone hold down the brake.
Interference is the way to go (just heat it up so it expands) and the pulley ultimately had a minor overbore.

I was driving at a pulley issue not a How to.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Spankinsum,

It does sound like a pulley issue, I hope it's resolved. Perhaps my post can serve as a how-to for others. I have installed a few dozen crank pulleys with this method and no further issues. The brass end on the piston lock does not damage the piston, and I found holding the brake does not allow for the proper torque to be applied through twisting of the drivetrain via the mounts. I do recommend blue loc-tite on the threads, however should not be necessary to apply to the crank. It should be a tight interference fit, and heat should also not be needed.

Happy Modding,
--Dan

Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
Great! I'll put you down for 10? 20?
Hang on to ya horses! I'm waiting for pay day to come... Blew my budget for this month on rims! But it's all good!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:59 AM
Spankinsum
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onefastmini
Hey Spankinsum,

It does sound like a pulley issue, I hope it's resolved. Perhaps my post can serve as a how-to for others. I have installed a few dozen crank pulleys with this method and no further issues. The brass end on the piston lock does not damage the piston, and I found holding the brake does not allow for the proper torque to be applied through twisting of the drivetrain via the mounts. I do recommend blue loc-tite on the threads, however should not be necessary to apply to the crank. It should be a tight interference fit, and heat should also not be needed.

Happy Modding,
--Dan
Gotcha... Figure the engine movement is regardless of how you hold the crank.. I had used a bracket to hold the motor in place while torqueing.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Can anyone describe the install and how the ratio is adjusted?

Also, there appears to be a cover plate that slides with the shaft...can this be left off so the pivot will be exposed?

Thanks

Old 08-09-2006, 10:27 AM
HAPA
2nd Gear
anodized red ball shift ****???

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys would be able to make a round ball shift **** just like the one Whallen sells but in anodized Red alluminum that i could then send to whallen for engraving?

Thanks a bunch

-HAPA

The wearing the Kilt at the dragon.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

Also, there appears to be a cover plate that slides with the shaft...can this be left off so the pivot will be exposed?

Thanks
bump

Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 AM
pdxtdi
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

Thanks
Hi MSFITOY,

I'm not sure what you mean by ratio adjusted... You're talking about the Shift Well Cover, right? There is a dust plate the sits firmly against the bottom of the cover using a foam spacer and slides easily back and forth.

The install is VERY easy--should be 15 minutes or less. You can leave out the dust plate to reveal the main pivot if you like. But you may end up collecting dust...

Hope this helps!

Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by pdxtdi
Hi MSFITOY,

I'm not sure what you mean by ratio adjusted... You're talking about the Shift Well Cover, right? There is a dust plate the sits firmly against the bottom of the cover using a foam spacer and slides easily back and forth.

The install is VERY easy--should be 15 minutes or less. You can leave out the dust plate to reveal the main pivot if you like. But you may end up collecting dust...

Hope this helps!
Thanks...I was wondering how the shifter's ratio is adjusted...the ****...I assume that it tightens/loosens to allow the shifter shaft to go up and down?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:51 PM
cliff@coasttocoastusa
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a adjustment **** in the middle of the shaft. Loosen this **** and you can raise and lower the hight/ throw of the shifter. Changing the throw takes about 10 seconds if you have the shift well cover as the adjustment **** is exposed.

-Cliff

Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
The ratio of change for the shifter is about 50% of stock. So in the down position you reduce the throw greatly. I show people mine all the time and they can not believe the difference.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Cravenspeed Tech Q&A