Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Stock LSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:46 AM
Lukifer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock LSD

I have just started to do auto-x and would like to put the LSD in my car... but I want to stay in the stock class. Has anyone upgraded to a quaif and want to give up a stock LSD? or know where I can get one? One parts department said I would have to buy the whole trans.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:21 AM
phaedrus
3rd Gear
Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe the stock LSD is an integral part of the post Jan 2005 build transmissions (that have the LSD option). In fact, the LSD-equipped tranny even has a different part number. Check out http://www.realoem.com.

At best, the cost of an OEM LSD retrofit would be prohibitive; you're better off with the Quaife in terms of cost and build quality.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:45 AM
Lukifer
2nd Gear
I know that the Quaife would be better, but I want to stay in the stock class for auto X

Old 05-21-2006, 04:06 AM
obehave
6th Gear
OK, if you just started auto-xing there are far more important things than an lsd.
It might, might, get you a 10th and that's if you're good. Learn pedal control. When you consider people win and place very high at the national level without lsd then you realize it's not that important.
For the same approx $2K you can get primo wheels and tires and maybe squeeze a class in too. That'll make a larger difference.

Just my 2¢

Old 05-21-2006, 04:31 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
OK, if you just started auto-xing there are far more important things than an lsd.
I guess I'd agree with this since you just started. In general, though, an LSD is significant. Most of the top GS Mini's at Nationals were '05's with the LSD. Pedal control doesn't send torque to both wheels, no matter how sweet you are - an LSD does.

What year is your Mini? If it's not an '05+, you can't do the LSD upgrade and stay in stock anyhow (per SCCA rules at least, if you run with a different club, maybe this isn't true).

But since you just started, you can probably run what you have for a long before the open diff is what's truly holding you back. Tires are definately more important than an LSD, but seat time is the only thing that will truly make you fast So be patient and enjoy!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:21 AM
vrrroom vrrroom daddy
1st Gear
"In fact, the LSD-equipped tranny even has a different part number."

That's true but ONLY because the diff is an integral part of ANY Mini's entire transmission "unit" (either an open diff or an LSD) IF your car is an 05, a OEM 05 LSD WILL work - It's quite the labor bill, though - (think $1200 or so) AND you have to be extremely confident the installer knows what they're doing - besides removing/replacing AND opeing the tranny case, they remove the ring gear & reinstall it on the new diff ... one mistake, one bolt without loctite or the proper torque spec and BAM!! Now you need a new gearbox...

I'd even go so far as to recommend you have a Mini dealer do the install for you - despite any extra cost. You would retain your warranty. (Which- incidentally, you would NOT do installing a Quaife - as far as the warranty of the transmission, anyway) AND, to stay in Stock calss in SCCA Auto-X, you'd need to use the stock LSD unit anyway. And, yes, once you reach any Auto-X proficiency level, you will want the LSD- But I would further agree that my first $1200-$1500 be spent on lightweight wheels & R-compound tires...

Good Luck!!

Old 05-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Lukifer
2nd Gear
I did pick up a extra set of stock wheels to put race tires on. so now all i need to do is find a junk yard with an 05 trans with LSD.... I also have the 05..

Old 05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lukifer
I did pick up a extra set of stock wheels to put race tires on. so now all i need to do is find a junk yard with an 05 trans with LSD.... I also have the 05..
I was talkig to someone about this today at an auto-x event. He said he found at least a dozen in the $16-1800 range shipping included.
The big if about this is the condition. I wouldn't pull one out of a wreck and just stick it in my car. I'd want it gone through first. More expense.