Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 07:15 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone looking at the intercooler as a source of performance enhancement?

Larger or relocating to the front bumper...

Old 02-06-2003, 07:23 AM
aperez49
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've thought of looking into a front-mount intercooler, and then putting an oil-cooler where the intercooler is now to help keep engine temps down. I have no idea how to get it to work..I just thought it would be cool as hell. I'll try to see when I have time to tinker with the idea..and take some measurements and stuff.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:23 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Is anyone looking at the intercooler as a source of performance enhancement?
>>
>>Larger or relocating to the front bumper...

Yes. Not in the front bumper though. I'm working on providing slightly more clearance below the intercooler for better exit flow and increasing the thinkness by about an inch. This is a lot more complicated than it sounds. We will probably replace the intake and exit from the intercooler to accomplish this.

The development of this system is very consuming, so it isn't a top priority right now, as we've already found some serious power without modifying the intercooler. It will be a future development, and there is probably someone out there already well into development on it. We have a design, but have yet to fabricate the components.

Hope that helps.

Randy

Old 02-07-2003, 07:34 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>>>Is anyone looking at the intercooler as a source of performance enhancement?
>>>>
>>>>Larger or relocating to the front bumper...
>>
>>
>>Yes. Not in the front bumper though. I'm working on providing slightly more clearance below the intercooler for better exit flow and increasing the thinkness by about an inch. This is a lot more complicated than it sounds. We will probably replace the intake and exit from the intercooler to accomplish this.
>>
>>The development of this system is very consuming, so it isn't a top priority right now, as we've already found some serious power without modifying the intercooler. It will be a future development, and there is probably someone out there already well into development on it. We have a design, but have yet to fabricate the components.

Thanks Randy. I assumed, given how littler room exists under the hood, that this would be a very difficult fabrication. Do you think that a modified hood/bonnet would aid in any way? I understand that aerodynamics, cost and aesthetics play some role here...
>>
>>Hope that helps.
>>
>>Randy