Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Quicksilver Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 05:38 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have this yet? I LOVE the two tip design of the stock exhaust - it's actually one of my favorite things as far as how the 'S' looks. HOWEVER, for a single tip, the quicksilver doesn't look that bad. If the sound isn't much louder and it'll give me 15 more horses with the Madness intake, I think it's the way I'd go. Does anyone have sound clips of the quicksilver??? And is it a NICER, sportier sound than stock? Oh, and will the madness intake + the quicksilver give me 15 or so horses?

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Try this linkquicksilver exhaust
The quality of the sound clips is rather poor as they filmed in a combination of poor locations and poor conditions. I have the Magnaflow system with the Mini-Madness intake and I think the combo kicks a**. good luck..

Old 02-01-2003, 07:35 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Does anyone have this yet? I LOVE the two tip design of the stock exhaust - it's actually one of my favorite things as far as how the 'S' looks. HOWEVER, for a single tip, the quicksilver doesn't look that bad. If the sound isn't much louder and it'll give me 15 more horses with the Madness intake, I think it's the way I'd go. Does anyone have sound clips of the quicksilver??? And is it a NICER, sportier sound than stock? Oh, and will the madness intake + the quicksilver give me 15 or so horses?
>>
>>Thanks.

I'll get a sound clip of the Quicksilver shortly. We have one here.

Randy

Old 02-01-2003, 07:44 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Thanks Randy. I can always count on you!

Old 02-01-2003, 07:46 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Does the quicksilver REALLY have a 27 year warranty? I don't think I've ever had a car whose exhaust made it more than 5 years....no - I haven't. So if I can buy an aftermarket exhaust and have it last the life of the car, well that's just fantastic! What's the warranty on the magnaflow?????

Old 02-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Quicksilver is between the stock and the Magna in terms of sound output. Yes, it will give you 15hp at the wheels with the Madness intake.

R

Old 02-01-2003, 07:53 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
in order of quietest to loudess....
is it????
1.stock
2.quicksilver
3.borla
4.magnaflow

anyone want to comment/verify???

Peace,
D

Old 02-01-2003, 08:01 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Between the Borla and Quicksilver it is kind of a toss up but I would say the Quicksilver is louder.

So

1. Stock
2. Borla
3. Quicksilver
4. Magnaflow

:smile:

Old 02-02-2003, 01:18 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
ficcion...many thanks for the input...in this post and the magnaflow thread as well :smile:
I figured the QS & Borla were close ..in "volume".
What's your take on " frequency"....similar or different????

Peace,
D

Old 02-03-2003, 01:43 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I'm possibly looking at exhausts over the next few months, but for the Cooper, not the S. I'm definitely looking for the hp gain with as little additional volume as possible. I'd love a better "tone" or "note" to the exhaust, but I have a fairly low tolerance for added noise, both at highway speed and neighborhood speed. Is anyone able to post a quietest-to-loudest list amongst the various systems (Magnaflow, Rogue, Borla, Remus, etc.)? I guess I know that the Magnaflow won't suit my taste.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:47 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Sorry, I just realized that the title of this thread is "Quicksilver Exhaust", which I don't even think exists for the Cooper. I'll repost my question as a new topic.

Old 02-04-2003, 04:17 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
A nice e-mail response from Quicksilver Exhaust Systems in the UK

<<
- Our system is designed to produce an exhaust note in keeping with Cooper S heritage but without the loud noise and drone usually associated with other aftermarket Sports exhausts. This allows the vehicle to be driven everyday on long journeys whilst still rewarding when driven hard.

Once fitted to your Mini, you can expect to find your engine more free-reving with an increase in low-down torque. The volume increase with revs so as not to intrude into the cabin when the car is driven sensibly, but sounds wonderful when 'pressing on'.

Typical aftermarket exhaust systems can resonate, sound boomy or drone because the muffler boxes are merely 'gutted' in a quest for maximum volume. When developing our own system for the Cooper S, at our rolling-road equipped factory, the parameters adhered to were our usual ones: a system useable in everyday applications without affecting driveability; while providing a horsepower increase (approx. 8 bhp) combined with a subtle, aggressive tone consistent with the heritage of the Cooper S. And the result? A system that fits every one of the above criteria while looking good enough to display.

As regards the Magnaflow system, I have no knowledge of their system so I cannot comment as regards wether ours is quiter. However I have attached some sound clips of our system. Tell me what you think sir.

Having studied your e-mail carefully, I would say that your needs/requirements are typical of a Quicksilver client. We do not cater for the boy reacer market, who just want VOLUME. We specialize in manufacturing 'gentlleman's sports exhausts', systems that are not excessively loud at idle or fixed revs, but develop a beautiful note and tone when accelerating. Thus, people will not hear you coming from 4 blocks away and the noise will not assault your ear drums. You will however just adore the sound.

Our system replaces the heavy, restrictive two muffler system, with a light weight, free flowing one box lay out. The stock system weighs in at 41 lbs compared to ours at 20 lbs.

The two box lay out of the BMW stock system restricts the gas flow but our free flow design of our system helps us to produce on average an extra 8 bhp.

I hope I have served to answer any possible queries you may have regarding our system. I look forward to your feedback. Once again, sorry for causing any offence. This was not our intention. We were just respecting a supplier/seller contract.

Best Regards,

Ali (Sales Manager)>>>>>>

A very informative e-mail for sure...

Peace,
D

Old 02-04-2003, 05:18 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Come on, come on, let's have the 'attached sound clips'!

It's impolite not to share, after all

Jeff

Old 02-04-2003, 05:40 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Great email from quicksilver! I'm impressed! It also sounds like what I'm looking for as well.

It's also my understanding that these aftermarket exhausts (esp the quicksilver) are made better and should last much longer than stock exhausts. Would this be correct?

Old 02-04-2003, 06:05 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>Great email from quicksilver! I'm impressed! It also sounds like what I'm looking for as well.
>>
>>It's also my understanding that these aftermarket exhausts (esp the quicksilver) are made better and should last much longer than stock exhausts. Would this be correct?

Actually, while all of the aftermarket pieces are quite beautiful, and for the most part are all stainless steel, the stock unit should last as long as the car as well. Most of the newer stock systems being put in nicer cars these days are stainless, and are designed to last a very long time.

What I'm saying is that both systems will be very durable. The aftermarket systems are much nicer looking, and give power and sound to boot.

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 02-04-2003, 06:10 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Randy,
One of the things I've noticed with the Magnaflow v. stock system
on the S is the amount of moisture coming out of the tips. I wonder
if the stock system is collecting that moisture in the first or second
in line muffler? Is the stock stainless?

Old 02-05-2003, 08:01 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
I have the Quicksilver system and I agree with the email from the manufacturer. This system is not loud and goes from mellow to crisp as you get more spirited with the car. The noise at idle definitely has more authority and more sports car like than stock. The tip design is also very high quality. Sorry I don't have a way to get a sound clip. So where are the promised sound clips? The ones on the Madness site were done in a parking garage and echo too much.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:11 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Honest, I'm working on the sound clips Graham! I don't have the video, so It's a matter of getting ficcion and the customer with the Quicksilver together at the same time.

As to the dripping water issue - they all do it. The Magnaflow, the Quicksilver, the Borla, the Laser and the stock. 2minis, just start your car and let it idle for a few minutes, and you'll see the small puddle under the exhaust - even with the Magnaflow.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I promise to get that video ASAP!

Randy

Old 02-05-2003, 08:30 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
Copy that. I'll be patient although it's against my nature! Enjoy my pictures!

Graham