Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Magnaflow -- noticeable improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, lots of you who have it rant about the sound but how about the power?

How does it compare to say the Rogue intake?

-Jim

Old 01-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
RandyBMC did a full comparison write up, Here is the link :

here

Old 01-31-2003, 03:14 PM
rrmixn
2nd Gear
I had the Magnaflow exhaust installed last week. It is the only mod I've made so far. What a difference! The engine now pulls right to the redline with out laying down around 5K. I find that I now shift 500-1K rpm's higher than I had before the exhaust. The exhaust sounds great. It kind of reminds me of a 750 Honda street bike. It is very loud. I wish it were a little quieter because I don't like to announce my arrival. The wife hasn't really complained but the kids have.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Hello all,
Here's my magnaflow update.

PART: #1: POWER
here was my original post on 1/25
<<-pickup/hp/speed increase was less noticable compared to the addition of the air-intake imho..... could be me but it "sounded" faster...didn't neccessarily "feel" all that much faster.
i'll give it a few days to see how the ecu chip upgradedes ...report again. >>

Now, I have the magnaflow installed for 1 week.
Power increase is ...terrific...you can feel the power!!! It take a while for the ECU...to recognize ...the addition.
As I mentioned in an earlier post ...I have no dyno here to verify the HP increase....but I promise you....you will be able to 'feel" a tremendous increase in performance...The car is more powerful & runs smoother in each gear.

PART #2: SOUND
here is my original post on 1/25
<<-var-room....what a sound!!!!!!
incredible bassy, low end, throaty sound....& the deep gurgle just is the perfect finish.
-i was worried a bit bout the "loudness" factor, but it's well within reasonable limits. radio/conversations are ....manageable and wide open...it sings.>>

I'm doing a real flip/flop on this one...
Around town....at speeds of 0-to lets call it about 65 MPH...it's fine...
throaty,bassy, all that good stuff...
Here's the problem ....for me..... at least.
I drive about 60-70 miles per day on the parkway...at speeds in excess of 80 MPH.... It is WAY TOO LOUD.....My ears are ringing by the time I reach my office.
There is a loud drone on the parkways. I'm looking into sound proofing... dynomat /noisekiller/roadkill for info.
They are all pricey.

Does anyone have any info to help solve this noise problem??????
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone have similar.....issues.?????
Thanks in advance....

I 'm very close to taking out the magnaflow system & returning the car to the stock exhaust....

Peace,
D

Old 01-31-2003, 04:35 PM
CCM
4th Gear
Uh Oh!! My Magnaflow has already been shipped. I'm worried about your noise concerns. If it's loud enough that you are serious about putting the stock exhaust back I'm concerned. I do some rather long jaunts. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the sound of my older (1967, 1968) muscle cars even on extended trips. Well, let's hope I can live with it.

Old 01-31-2003, 05:38 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Earplugs. If that doesn't work, how much is the shipping from NY to CA?????

Old 01-31-2003, 07:26 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
i want it... i am local...lol

Old 01-31-2003, 07:30 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
doug,
u round...?
i c u online...
give me a shout if ur up

Peace,
D

Old 01-31-2003, 08:10 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's important that everyone knows this system growls more than the others - definitely!

Dennis, correct me if I'm wrong, but you enjoy the sound, right? It's just that extended 85-90mph driving at long periods (we've already talked about the system offline).

If you are on the gas wide open, you will announce to the world you have arrived! If you are just cruising around at up to 75-80, the noise is pleasant, but not overwhelming. You always know the Magnaflow is there though, no doubt.

These are my observations (I kept the Magnaflow on my car), and now that there are quite a few out there, I'd love to hear more input from folks on what your opinion of the noise level is.

I think the clips that have been around on MCO by ficcion show a pretty accurate picture of what the Magnaflow sounds like. Check it out here.

Hope that helps, and keep the feedback coming.

Randy

Old 01-31-2003, 08:12 PM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so glad to hear about the Magnaflow, now. I was thinking in the clips I've seen and heard, that the Magnaflow might be a touch above my tolerance level, and I think this seals it for me.

But, I would like something a little deeper than the stock exhaust. What's a guy to do?

Randy, any chance you can talk the folks making the Quicksilver exhaust into putting a dual tip on the thing?

BTW, that clip of the three exhausts was some great unintentional marketing (I assume it was unintentional). There the stock exhaust was, blatting away with water dripping out the pipes. It reminded me of a heifer calf in the stock yard on a cold night, snot pouring out of its nose, while bellowing and mooing over the unwelcomed mounting from the gregarious bull.

(I'm sure BMW would LOVE to read THAT description of their exhaust)

See ya,
JS

Old 01-31-2003, 08:20 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jstines,

I love the sig line quote!

I think the QS folks are going to be sticking with the tip for a while, but I can try!

I'll be doing evals on some other systems in the near future, and I'll keep you informed.

That Magnaflow is still the best bang for your buck by far, so the new systems (and the QS for that matter) are going to seem pretty steep price wise comparatively.

The QS system is very nice, because of the weight and power, as well as the subtle sound and tips. Believe it or not, the tip actually looks very nice in person - I think it's my favorite tip. The pics don't really do it justice. The only drawback with this system (and it's the same with most of the others out there) is the price.

I hope that helps, and if I can answer any other questions about the systems out there, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com
720-841-1002

Old 01-31-2003, 08:28 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

>>BTW, that clip of the three exhausts was some great unintentional marketing (I assume it was unintentional). There the stock exhaust was, blatting away with water dripping out the pipes. It reminded me of a heifer calf in the stock yard on a cold night, snot pouring out of its nose, while bellowing and mooing over the unwelcomed mounting from the gregarious bull.
>>
>>(I'm sure BMW would LOVE to read THAT description of their exhaust)

That is the funniest description I have ever heard

Old 01-31-2003, 09:36 PM
mininc
5th Gear
d-mini-ero

Thanks for your post. I am close to getting an exhaust system on my S. I currently have the BMP intake, which I have been happy with.

I do a lot of driving on the Interstate and I am concerned about the noise factor.

I am now thinking about installing the Borla exhaust. I have spoken with Peter at Rspeed. He recommended the Borla. I thought on my next trip to Atlanta, that I would have Rspeed install the Borla.

Does any one have the BMP intake and the Borla exhaust and what are your thoughts?

Old 01-31-2003, 09:43 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the MINI Madness intake with the MINI Motorsport Airbox Mod and the Borla. It's no where near as noisy as the Magnaflow. The Borla makes more of an OEM Plus type sound. It's not all that different sound wise compared to stock, even cruising at 80-90 mph. Get on the throttle though, and there is some nice supercharger whine. Fun stuff.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:00 PM
jstines
4th Gear
>>jstines,
>>
>>I love the sig line quote!

Thanks. I read that line more than twenty five years ago, and I've never forgotten it. It was written by Paul Zindel, an author of young adult readers. I think the quote was from Pigman. Funny stuff, especially for young kids.

>>I'll be doing evals on some other systems in the near future, and I'll keep you informed.

I'll be following along. Your posts have always been excellent.

>>That Magnaflow is still the best bang for your buck by far, so the new systems (and the QS for that matter) are going to seem pretty steep price wise comparatively.

I realize it is the most HP for the money and quite a good deal, but I simply think it will be too loud for my personal tastes. There wouldn't be any easy way to bring its dB level down, would there?

>>
>>The QS system is very nice, because of the weight and power, as well as the subtle sound and tips. Believe it or not, the tip actually looks very nice in person - I think it's my favorite tip.

That wouldn't have anything to do with your first love, would it? (I'm talking about cars, here, folks!) :smile:

>>I hope that helps, and if I can answer any other questions about the systems

Thanks, Randy. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I have quite awhile before my S will be here, so I'll touch base with you in a few months. I'm sure there will be developments by then.

See ya,
JS

Old 02-01-2003, 04:57 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Well y'all, thanks for all the input.
Here's my...."proposal"
Randy, I'm willing to buy the QS system and have it installed here in NY...It seems the QS has enough of a power increase and a more subtle sound/tone. In all honesty I'm not at all concerned w/ what the tips look like. I'm looking for max power and minimal sound increase.
It seems no one has any ideas or comments about "sound proofing" so I must assume that it is probably a dead issue. As I inquired before, is there anything out there that will help ???????

I'll sell my magnaflow for $500 (I'll pay for shipping).
It cost me $648 in total (shipping included)

This seems very fair to me. It's a great system, as long as you understand the noise factor. As Randy stated ..I do like the sound.. it's just the dronning in higher speeds on the parkways that I'm not comfortable with.

It was only driven by an old dude...with old ears....:smile: rofl.
Any one interested please contact me at (cell)516 551 5517 or dminiero@optonline.net

Thanks in advance

Peace,
D

Old 02-01-2003, 06:56 AM
binkydognose
3rd Gear
I can't wait...
I've ordered the magnaflow/madness combo.
My daily drive to work is only 6 miles each direction, and sound-wise it's the burble at stop sign #1 that makes me grin first. Clips of the magnaflow indicate maximum burblage (and I like the HP, price, fit and finish aspects as well of course).
So... I expect the daily burble grins to outweigh possible less frequent straightline road trip drone. Come to think of it, I can't wait to blast through some AZ mountain curves with this combo either!
:smile:

Old 02-01-2003, 07:24 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
I have the Madness/Magnaflow combo and I think it kicks a**. Sure it is louder than stock, isnt that what an aftermarket performance exhaust is supposed to be? I don't find the volume to be an annoyance at all. In fact I thinks it lets the neighbor kids know I'm coming so they can get out of my way in time...

If I hadn't already purchased one, I'd be contacting d-mini-ero...the system is great, and at that price it's a steal...esp with free shipping.

Old 02-01-2003, 07:37 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Dennis,

For sound proofing, check out b-quiet

I installed some in my Jetta and it eliminated the drone of the tire noise (I was running the P7000 super sports which are notoriously noisey). I do think that might help. That said, it's extremely sticky stuff, so you don't really have the option of removing the material once it's installed. It does help, but it's not going to make the Magnaflow into something that's Stock quiet in comparison.

Dave

Old 02-01-2003, 09:42 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Dennis,

Thank you very much for your candid feedback. When you first posted just after install of the exhaust, your enthusiasm wore off on me. So I was hyped about getting the "loud" exhaust. I too am/was worried about the sound level during freeway driving as 90% of my motoring is freeway. The freeway droning is something I think I can do without. However, I don't travel nearly as fast as you do. I average 65 on the freeway. I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in droning from 80 to 65 ?

Thanks,
Dominic

Old 02-01-2003, 01:27 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
dominickminicoopers......to address your question<<I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in droning from 80 to 65 ?>>.That's where the problem is !!!!!
under 65MPH is ok...no real drone issues IMHO. Over 65-70....you are in a situation where....the drone is ..substancial and IMHO....unneccessaryly loud.

dave...thanks for the link...re: sound proofing...i'm there :smile:

twOMINIs...<<Sure it is louder than stock, isnt that what an aftermarket performance exhaust is supposed to be? I don't find the volume to be an annoyance at all.>>...loudness is subjective....like pain. It's not the "loudness" as much as the "loud drone"..that is bothersome to me. My old ears are not comfortable.:smile:

Thanks for the input guys
Peace,
D

Old 02-01-2003, 01:40 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
d-mini-ero. If in anyway it discourages you from driving the mini, you should change and pitch the magnaflow and go with what suits your old ear :smile: Confort is key behind the wheel. Motor on.

Old 02-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Bluesmaster
2nd Gear
I got the Magnaflow installed today and did some motoring. It's definitely louder, but I feel the resonance around 3K RPM's is the only thing I notice that is penetrating. I think the responsiveness and improved feel between gears is what I notice the most. I don't think I will feel the full performance until the ecu adjusts. I have the combo BMP and Magnaflow, maybe that gas something to do with sound levels. I very seldom motor at constant high speeds. If I'm going to cruise on the freeway, I have 2 other cars. The MCS is my fun car. I like the sound of the Magnaflow, but until I do an extended high speed run I can't say whether it would bother me or not. One thing I can say is that I can hear the supercharger whine as clearly as ever, and mixed with the Magnaflow the car sure seems faster. I'm 50 and my ears are more sensitive to certain sound frequncies than they used to be. ('69 455 Hurst Olds with Hooker headers, Thrush mufflers and side exhaust sounded great in high school!!) D-mini-ero, get the sound you are comfortable with, otherwise you won't enjoy motoring. Anyway, I'm sure we will get an accurate comparison of the Magnaflow vs. Quicksilver from your posts.

Bluesmaster

Old 02-01-2003, 06:48 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I've got the Magnaflow and it is definitely loud. Get it if you want to
go racing....as Randy said...most bang for the buck. But every time I
drive it I wear ear plugs. Just like going target shooting, mowing the
lawn or riding a motorcycle. And I can't hear well anyway. So I can just
throw in hearing aids and turn 'em off. If you want to dance you've
got to pay the band!!

Old 02-01-2003, 07:50 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
2mini's....i'm trying earplugs tomorrow.:smile: I've been dancing my whole life....and have paid the band on occassion ....thanks :smile:. I went for an extended drive(about 50 miles of highway driving) this evening w/ my wife. My ears were ringing when we returned and her's were fine.
I also went for a short ride with vdubdoug and he seemed to think the sound was within bearable limits as well. I additionally took the friend who actually installed the magnaflow system in my mcs for a highway ride today, and he agrees with the my wife and vdubdoug. Finally I enlisted my freind Mark of mrpdrums...to take a test drive,and his findings were similar to the rest of my sample of test pilots.

I'm kinda comming to the realization..that it's more ME...than the magnaflow system. It must be a certain frequency/tone that effects me, much more than others.
Seems logical to me....such is life I guess :smile:

Randy where are you mi amigo...time to talk again....lol

Peace,
D

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Magnaflow -- noticeable improvement?