Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Second Catch Can Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:07 AM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Catch Can Installed

Total cost for the two….$35.

The first one (PCV circuit) has been in for about 400 miles and there are no signs of heat concerns (temperature is about 108 degrees using the Raytec temperature gun. The second can (valve cover vent circuit) was just installed this morning inside the Alta air box (temperature about 75 degrees). I removed the intercooler to run the lines as shown in the photos. Enjoy.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:12 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
I have to finish up my install for the alta catch can as I ran out of hose and need some more to finish it. I only have it hooked up to the one valve cover. What was the part that you used? I know there is another post about it. But it might help with other people who look at your post and wondering what you used. What type of hose did you use? Is that fuel line?

Garrett

Old 09-05-2005, 09:19 AM
newbs49
Banned
May I ask why you have two catch cans. I'd like to know what the benifits are if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

Old 09-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This one looks interesting. The first picture is your first can can right? How often do you need to empty it? What was involved in putting it all together? Please, do share.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
The first photo is the first catch can I installed on the PCV circuit.

The hose is 3/8-inch fuel line.

The reason for two cans is because after reading up on all the “catch can” subject matter posted on the board (do a search for the in depth discussion), I believe that running both circuits through the same can may have potential adverse effects on the motor. If the engine designer’s intended for the two circuits to be connected…they would have done so. There is a pressure balance within the engine that needs to be maintained, and even the Alta guy runs two cans in his own personal Mini.

With only 1100 miles at “break-in” revs, I only have a trace of oil residue, so nothing to drain at this time.

First install.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:14 PM
newbs49
Banned
Thanks for the info. Looks very interesting. Do you have or can you diagram or take pictures of the hose routing. Also what type of hose did you use. I know oil has a bad effect on most rubber hose. Great Job.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:37 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
RED line in...YELLOW line out.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:06 PM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Very clean install!

Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
daleCarlsbad, your first catch can was an excellent idea! You have extended that excellence!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
If you had one catch can for now, what would be the best place to install it in first? Should you install it on the pcv circuit or the valve cover side for best results? Again this is for someone who owns one catch can right now. I have mine hooked up to the pcv circuit and have not seen any results of oil in the can yet. Maybe I should hook it up to the valve cover side and see what happens.

Garrett

Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 AM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
I have not had the second one (valve cover curcuit) in long enough to determine which one is collecting more oil, so I could not say "which is best". So far the first one has just a trace of oil film, and the second one is dry. I also have not exceeded 5K rpm, which may be why. Will post when I find out more.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:00 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Nice job on your catch cans.

I'm still running with just the PCV side connected only.

Please let us know what if anything comes out the Vent side leading to the intake tube.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daleCarlsbad
I have not had the second one (valve cover curcuit) in long enough to determine which one is collecting more oil, so I could not say "which is best". So far the first one has just a trace of oil film, and the second one is dry. I also have not exceeded 5K rpm, which may be why. Will post when I find out more.

Thanks.
Talk about overkill !!! Does anyone advocate 2 as needed ?

I barely see BELOW 5,000 RPMs and dont'collect much oil now ...

Old 09-25-2005, 09:45 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
makes alot of sense, like this idea the more i look into it!!!

great work!!

Originally Posted by daleCarlsbad
The first photo is the first catch can I installed on the PCV circuit.

The hose is 3/8-inch fuel line.

The reason for two cans is because after reading up on all the “catch can” subject matter posted on the board (do a search for the in depth discussion), I believe that running both circuits through the same can may have potential adverse effects on the motor. If the engine designer’s intended for the two circuits to be connected…they would have done so. There is a pressure balance within the engine that needs to be maintained, and even the Alta guy runs two cans in his own personal Mini.

With only 1100 miles at “break-in” revs, I only have a trace of oil residue, so nothing to drain at this time.

First install.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:37 AM
newbs49
Banned
daleCarlsbad
Is there any update of the amount of fluid in second can?

Old 09-25-2005, 01:06 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Not yet. I have been out to sea for the last three weeks, so the Toys are parked.

Prior to leaving I did a few hundred miles but did not see any trace in the second can. The first can had a trace of oily film after I first installed it, but no substantial increase after that.

My current thoughts are that the second one may not be required, although I will have more information to base that opinion on after a few thousand miles. At any rate I feel comfortable knowing that no matter what, my intercooler is clean.

Will post here (a new post) if anything develops.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:36 PM
newbs49
Banned
daleCarlsbad

Do you track the car at all? That would be a real test if the second one is needed. Keep us updated. Thanks

Old 09-25-2005, 01:52 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
same thing i was thinkin'...do U?

Old 09-25-2005, 02:01 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Nope..............thats what I have this for

Old 09-25-2005, 02:06 PM
lambspeed
3rd Gear
I run the other valve cover vent wide open, and beat the living SH******T out of my car. Not a drop of oil to be found. The catch can on the other hand has oil in it every week when I drain it

Old 09-25-2005, 02:08 PM
newbs49
Banned
daleCarlsbad

I kind of remember those days back in the mid 60's. Triple Mac 10's on alcohol. Then I started drinking the stuff in the late 60's. What happened in between till now????? I'm not sure. NICE RIDE BY THE WAY

Old 10-20-2005, 07:08 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
I just wanted to post an update about the catch can catching oil. I noticed a good amount of oil in my catch can. This is only being hooked up to the pcv valve section. I did not notice any oil coming from the valve cover section. Also I had to pull the Intercooler the other day to install my boost gauge and my intercooler is as clean as it can be. No trace of oil what so ever.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005, 07:17 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
is it normal to not see oil comin' from the valve cover?

are u running a resonator on ur Playmini/Scorpion exhaust?
wuz it hard to plug/mount ur boost gauge?

Originally Posted by garretwp
I just wanted to post an update about the catch can catching oil. I noticed a good amount of oil in my catch can. This is only being hooked up to the pcv valve section. I did not notice any oil coming from the valve cover section. Also I had to pull the Intercooler the other day to install my boost gauge and my intercooler is as clean as it can be. No trace of oil what so ever.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005, 07:24 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
The playmini/scorpion exhuast does not come with a resonator. As for the oil coming from the valve cover section, I guess it is ok for no oil to be there. Actaully I am glade that there is no trace of oil from there! The boost gauge was not hard to install. You will need time though, it was a very tight fit to get the new vacuum line attached to the nipple on the intake manifold! Lets just say I have some cut up knuckles and sliced fingers getting it done. Small hands help, but still a tight fit.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005, 08:02 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea i know, i had the Playmini & wux told u can get it w/or w/out resonator but i dont think this is accurate. so anywho i wuz askin' cuz i see u have a 05 B&M SS kit so wanted to know if it got in the way of thr resonator.....

.......i know, sory long story!

so u went w/a mechanical on ur boost gauge?
Originally Posted by garretwp
The playmini/scorpion exhuast does not come with a resonator. As for the oil coming from the valve cover section, I guess it is ok for no oil to be there. Actaully I am glade that there is no trace of oil from there! The boost gauge was not hard to install. You will need time though, it was a very tight fit to get the new vacuum line attached to the nipple on the intake manifold! Lets just say I have some cut up knuckles and sliced fingers getting it done. Small hands help, but still a tight fit.

Garrett

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Second Catch Can Installed