Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Vented Hood!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vented Hood!

Ok here is a link to a vented hood that I want to know if anyone knows who caries this or if anyone has seen any difference in temp under the bonnet. It shoudl help with heat stroke like a lot of you guys refer to but I thought it was curious and want to know where you can get one. There is a company sticker on the bonnet but my eyes cannot make out what it says. ANyone with help would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.hubertus.net/mymini/ltzmi...s/page_61.html

Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I like it. I would also like it if a giant chrome blower was sticking out of my hood though. Sorry I'm no help.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by racinbmw
Ok here is a link to a vented hood that I want to know if anyone knows who caries this or if anyone has seen any difference in temp under the bonnet. It shoudl help with heat stroke like a lot of you guys refer to but I thought it was curious and want to know where you can get one. There is a company sticker on the bonnet but my eyes cannot make out what it says. ANyone with help would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.hubertus.net/mymini/ltzmi...s/page_61.html
It's heat soak not heat stroke.

It really wouldn't help heat soak all that much. The worst of that occurs at idle and having those vents in the hood wouldn't make that large a difference under those conditions.
Once in motion the heat moves out from under the MINI hood quite well. As little as 10 mph starts to show decent temp drops in under hood temps.

Here's an old thread that has some related info.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I'm of no help BUT its really cool.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:02 PM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Sorry about the wrong word usage there. I meant heat soak, and my thinking is like yours, it may not help all that much but if it does help, I htought any help would be usefull. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:06 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Peter of M7 experimented with venting the hood. That was a year or so ago though...

As obe said, once the car is moving, heat seems to clear fairly well. But, I do like the idea of less engine bay heat while my car sits after a long hot drive - components, and things like rubber hoses will last longer...

A few guys have coated and wrapped their headers. This is probably one of the best things one can do drive down underhood temps, not to mention the claimed performance gains...

Old 08-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A company called Mini-Clubsport makes some CF vents that are meant to be molded into the hood. I believe that is what you have pictured.

EDIT: I just checked out your picture again, and it does appear that it says "schaefer mini clubsport' so these are definitely the vents you pictured

Here are the pics of their vents...unfortunately they are all the way out in
germany.

Hope this helps a little....their site is... http://www.autohausschaefer.de/mini-clubsport/

Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I like the look, and I'm sure it would help vent some heat out. I think just one on the high point, over the header, on the hump would be most effective though...

For those with bonnet stripes, this would be a no go most likely And for those with an AGS or HAI, it would seem that water would be an issue (water ingestion)...

Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Rallymini,
That helped a ton, thanks. Now I just need to find out where to purchase them from, because I cannot find that product on their website. They have a more wicked one on their website that looks similar to the Evo VIII hood. Let me know if you know where I can find one of these here in america, if nto in US then I will see if they will distribute in US. Thanks

Old 08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
Why not just go to a custom body shop? Most should be able to do the old louver trick in the hood.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
I wrapped my Supersprint header before I re-installed it this year....big difference.

Originally Posted by TonyB
Peter of M7 experimented with venting the hood. That was a year or so ago though...

As obe said, once the car is moving, heat seems to clear fairly well. But, I do like the idea of less engine bay heat while my car sits after a long hot drive - components, and things like rubber hoses will last longer...

A few guys have coated and wrapped their headers. This is probably one of the best things one can do drive down underhood temps, not to mention the claimed performance gains...

Old 08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasdan
Why not just go to a custom body shop? Most should be able to do the old louver trick in the hood.
Bast answer ...
I have a friend down in the next town that has one of the tools to do this. Any real good bodyshop that does custom rods and whatnot should be able to do this for you.

This is not just for heat escape, though it works well for that, yes even at a stand still. The other thing vents like this do is to evacuate any air pressure loads when at speed and in turn will help downforce.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:45 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
But the real question is will they help with the evaporative cooling on the intercooler?

(apologies to those who haven't been following this thread):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&page=1&pp=25

Old 08-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by onasled
Bast answer ...
I have a friend down in the next town that has one of the tools to do this. Any real good bodyshop that does custom rods and whatnot should be able to do this for you.

This is not just for heat escape, though it works well for that, yes even at a stand still. The other thing vents like this do is to evacuate any air pressure loads when at speed and in turn will hell downforce.
I emailed the company in germany, and they said they could send them to me...but the price was insane. I then went to a body shop and ask them if they could do the same thing, and the price sounded WAY better....i forget the exact price, but a body shop is the best answer.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
For those with bonnet stripes, this would be a no go most likely And for those with an AGS or HAI, it would seem that water would be an issue (water ingestion)...

not so sir Stripes are still a go

So is there really any chance of problems due to water on a street mini? I cant think of any electronics that are open in that area, and my intake is up front (MC).

Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
For those with bonnet stripes, one would want to have such vents in white, I would think, so they blend-in, or get diffrent stripes that don't go over the vents...

On a MCS with an HAI or AGS intake, the filter element would have rain water directed right into it, at least so it appears. With a MC, I can't say...

Old 08-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
For those with bonnet stripes, one would want to have such vents in white, I would think, so they blend-in, or get diffrent stripes that don't go over the vents...

On a MCS with an HAI or AGS intake, the filter element would have rain water directed right into it, at least so it appears. With a MC, I can't say...
yah...in those pics, the vents look to be both white AND EB....he really painted them well to match the stripes.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:51 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Hi Tony...

You are partially right, about the risk of water splashing on the filter element
of the AGS.......But 99% of all the AGS's we have sold comes with the heatshield, which will cover the filter element, and subsequently keep it very
dry.

peter

Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Ah, so it's also a water shield, in this case also . Cool! Thanks for clarifying Peter.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:12 PM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
full monty vent

c'mon, if you're going all the way to germany, you may as well go the full monty

http://www.autohausschaefer.de/mini-...gfk_haube1.JPG

Old 08-26-2005, 07:07 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
vented bonnet's?? man! wish i had seen this b4' :impatient