Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 19% pulley + GIAC + 380cc injectors update

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19% pulley + GIAC + 380cc injectors HOT WEATHER UPDATE

Ok. Here is the update people have been asking for. Today hit 100 degrees (again). And yet once again, my MINI performed like a champ. He now has 74k+ miles on him. 63k of them with some type of aftermarket supercharger pulley. When I upgraded to the GIAC ecu and injectors, Eric (Helix) had told me I’ll notice the greatest difference in the summer. The reason for this is b/c the GIAC and larger injectors will allow my MCS to run richer at the top end which will keep temps down AND increase power! I had the mod done in the cooler weather and the difference was very noticeable and well worth the money. The latest “mandatory” software update made my MINI run like crap basically and the GIAC cleared up almost all the crappiness.

Many others have warned that a 19% would suffer tremendously in the the hot weather due to the extra heat produced. Some even suggested that a 19% in the heat would produce less power than a 15% pulley. This was quite a silly comment at best but many people took it to heart and reiterated these nonsense warnings.

Well let me tell you, Helix was right. Today in the 100 degree, high humidity heat here in Jersey, with the auto A/C on full blast (LO) all day, my MINI performed like a true champ. I couldn’t believe how fast and responsive it was – especially with the A/C blasting all day. The only RPM range that was sluggish was the 1k RPM range. In cooler weather, the little 1.6L with a 19% pulley, GIAC and injectors performs very admirably in the 1k RPM range. But everywhere else my MINI kicked butt. Real butt.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I originally upgraded to a 19% from a 15% b/c the 15% although was pleasing most of the year, in the summer under high temps and with the A/C, the car still was lacking big time in the power department. The upgrade to a 19% helped tremendously – in all weather conditions – summer included. But it really wasn’t until this summer and on a car that now has 74k miles on it that I can 100% declare my mods perfect. The way it ran today you would think it was 65 degrees out and the A/C was off. I thought the GIAC and injectors mod was excellent when I got it. But let me tell you, before you run out and spend $1k-$2k on an intercooler, you should try this combo if you have the 19% or are thinking about the 19%. The GIAC must keep the temps down otherwise I should have seen a serious power loss. Yet my MINI’s acceleration really surprised me today and I had a bunch of fantastic rides today.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what you been eatin', greatgo?

I turn on my AC in this funky weather and get that signature odor from the biology experiment going on under the dash...kicks my butt!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
I turn on my AC in this funky weather and get that signature odor from the biology experiment going on under the dash...kicks my butt!
jlm - what the heck are you talking about????

Old 08-03-2005, 07:13 PM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
I second that. I just got that done at Helix a couple of weeks ago and love it. Eric said to wait to get my car dyno'ed in sept. when the humidity is less, but i can't wait to see how much power I am pushing. Where in jersey you live, we should meet up sometime.

mark

Old 08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
m///

Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by karvinbass
Where in jersey you live, we should meet up sometime.
mark
Stirling. Exit 40 off of Route 78. Where are you?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:56 AM
NYMINIME
3rd Gear
GIAC 19% 380cc Injectors

Same here fellas, I actually drove back to NY from Helix 2 days ago with temp reading of 98-103 the whole 3 hr ride back. With the OBX header installed by Eric, the car feels like a whole new beast and welcome any G35s or 350Z on and off the line..hwy short runs. BRING IT. ;=) j/k. Overall, the MCS is so much more fun to drive now despite the heat and humidity. Now comtemplating to get an aftermarket intercooler..!?>?!??!?!!??!

Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
hey greatgro, im in bernardsville very near you. If you ever around that area we should definitly meet up. i just got the 19% from eric as well, but dont have the injectors or programming. it would be interesting to see how much faster your car is than mine.

Cheers, Jonathan

Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I'm wondering if you can get Legionaire's disease from that funk coming out of the AC ducts? whew...something ain't right up that chute!

Old 08-04-2005, 03:23 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
I'm wondering if you can get Legionaire's disease from that funk coming out of the AC ducts? whew...something ain't right up that chute!
What are you talking about? Maybe it's all those crazy engine mods you have! Although I always use recirc air with the A/C, I always run the air with the vent open (fresh air) for the last minute before I shut the car off. And the vent is always open (fresh air) when the car is off. I always do this in all of my cars and it usually prevents mildew inside the vents which will cause some nasty smells.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:51 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats funny...

here in arizona were road temps sky rocket well over 150 degrees... STOCK cooper S's while dial back timing to the point at which it is noticible... and then as you sit in trafic and begin to accellerate away.... ping ping ping... comes right along with acceleration...

when its 115 degrees... a stock cooper S that is running absolutley pig rich will ping... forcing the computer to compensate (yet it can't compensate enough to stop the pinging)

another huge factor though is our fuel... we have dogshit for fuel here in the summer imagine a 60/40 mis of 91 octance and water but seriously... i understand your point... and i am glad that your car isnt pinging... but your story is true for your area of the country... not the rest... a car with a 19% pulley here in arizona would probably go mad due to the heat...

heck i have a 15% pulley JCW injectors and software and my car still pings due to the **** gas we have here... i hate to be soo vulgar... but you guys should really see how crappy the gas gets...

Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I'll try that; seems every season mine gets stinky for a bit. I did change the filter one time. as i recall there was some posting about this issue one time.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Stirling. Exit 40 off of Route 78. Where are you?
hoboken

Old 08-04-2005, 06:15 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
but you guys should really see how crappy the gas gets...
Crappy gas sucks.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:21 AM
ctborder
1st Gear
Keep us posted, this seems like a good thing in the future for my car.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
The GIAC flash is truly the way to go. It is a TRUE flash. Engineered to make the Mini run absolutely amazing. The biggest thing i noticed was the car sitting at idle.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:00 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper
The GIAC flash is truly the way to go. It is a TRUE flash. Engineered to make the Mini run absolutely amazing. The biggest thing i noticed was the car sitting at idle.
What? What do you mean versus the MINI software in which at idle it seems like the engine is bucking like a wild horse???

This MINI ECU stuff drives me nuts. I recently purchased a brand new 2005 Mustang GT convertible. This is Ford's FIRST Mustang with electronic throttle. Let me tell you - the car is incredibly smooth. It feels more like an extremely well-tuned exotic than a Ford. And this is with Mustang's first and ONLY software version...and it's been out for almost a year now. No cold start problems, rough idle, stalling, bogging, yo-yo ing...nothing. Just INCREDIBLY smooth operation. And ONE ECU version. Not one every month. And this is a Ford, not a MINI/BMW. And BMW has been doing this for years.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Pocket_Rocket
4th Gear
I agree with Greatgro. I had my 19%/JCW Injectors/GIAC upgrade done earlier this year and last night the car felt like a monster! It does not seem to suffer to any noticable degree in the heat.

I would like to know about these headers mentioned above.. Any TRUE gains in doing that??

Craig

Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 AM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
I'm booked in with Helix for a pulley in a few weeks. I know I don't have the flow for the GIAC or injectors just now, but is going with the 19% for now on the stock ecu and stock injectors a bad idea? I told Eric I'd be in for a 15% but since we spoke I keep reading all the threads and searching, etc, and it would seem that a 19% would be ok as long as I keep an eye on the belt? This question is beaten to death, but how about a word from the guys running the 19?

I have also solicited the advice of some of the NAM big dogs (thanks onasled for helpful discussion!), but I'm still torn as to what pulley to install.

EDIT: Or, I could direct my attention 1 inch lower on my screen to the "accomodate a 19%" thread....

Old 08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
I get the same thing...but my coolant is leaking a little bit, and I think that is the smell...

Old 08-05-2005, 09:32 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chaincoopers
I have also solicited the advice of some of the NAM big dogs (thanks onasled for helpful discussion!), but I'm still torn as to what pulley to install.
ANYWAY, I had my 19% installed at 26 or 28k miles. Don't remember when GIAC was installed. Maybe around 60k miles? So I ran the 19% 35k miles or so and a full summer with the stock ECU. No problems at all. The GIAC just upped the power and smoothness big time. Although my original stock ECU was very good. The upgrade they did for emissions screwed it up big time with a very rough idle and a terrible yo-yo. The idle is as steady as can be now and the yo-yo is ALMOST completely gone. It still rears it's ugly head under light acceleration in the 2k RPMs but it is very, very mild. It's hardly noticeable.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
leak? anybody

"its totally normal for these cars to leak coolant" is what (dealer) 'Sterling' said when i brought it up to them.......

is this so?

Originally Posted by *Ace*
I get the same thing...but my coolant is leaking a little bit, and I think that is the smell...

Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 AM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Onasled is a NAM big dog???
I've spoken with him on and off the boards. He has experience, a nice setup, and was willing to patiently answer a bunch of noob questions that would get me bombarded with "search you noob" on the main boards. Yeh, I'll call him a big dog. Just trying to place nice over here...

Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
I gotta head out to Helix once I'm back from my vacation. My friend keeps flaking on installing my suspension so I'm going to have Eric do it.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
don't ya just love them kinda of FRIENDS? ur' lucky though, ya live so close to Helix....
Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper
I gotta head out to Helix once I'm back from my vacation. My friend keeps flaking on installing my suspension so I'm going to have Eric do it.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 19% pulley + GIAC + 380cc injectors update