Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intake, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Drivefst01
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake, which one?

I am going to be purchasing a few performance parts in the near future. I am looking for some real world experience on which intake system to buy. I have already decided on the exhaust. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:02 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Anyone out there can help Drivefs01.......................

Old 07-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Dr Evil
2nd Gear
I'm interested in this aswell.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:03 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
me too!

search... "intake"

Old 07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
Well I can't give you advice from real world experiance yet.. But I will be putting an Alta CAI on my new 05 MCS in about a month. I was in the same boat as you but researched and finalized my decision. Check out Webb Motorsports in their product sections. Honest opinoins. Search around the threads here on NAM. Look at product reviews.
IMO Alta is the best choice for CAI. (based on research and word of mouth)
Im curious as to which exhaust you chose, let me know..

Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear
I have the Alta CAI on my 05 MCS and love it. I bought the silicone tube also (wether it helps i have no idea). I am very pleased with it and the butt dyno registers a gain. It was pretty easy to install. There is however a whistling noise at about 3800-4200 RPM that I usually love but every once in a while it annoys me. All in all I love my Alta CAI. The AGS is supposed to have better performance (please no flaming arguments) but from what i understand is difficult to install.
I do not have an exhaust system but from what I hear Blue Flame exhausts are really nice. The tailpipes look sweeeet. Does anybody know if they work with the aero kit rear bumper?

Old 07-16-2005, 01:49 PM
dragonwang
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my Alta CAI (w/boot) for 05 MCS from http://www.minituner.com (best price I found). The intake is worth the $$$ and I enjoy the whistling noise very much!

Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Drivefst01
Neutral
[font=Verdana]Sounds like the Alta CAI is the way to go. Thanks for the info. I am going to put the blueflame exhaust on my MCS. I love the look of the dual oval tips coming out of both sides of the back. It sounds very nice as well and there performance numbers are pretty good 10-12hp. Those are factory numbers so I am not sure if that is what I will actually get, but it looks and sounds good, so that is enough for me. [/font]

Old 07-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Poderes1
2nd Gear
I have the Alta CAI as well. Its easy to install and the gains are impressive especially since i have it combined with Alta's 17% pulley. My exhaust will be done soon. I have decided on the Blue Flame as well. Its looks super nice

Old 07-16-2005, 03:02 PM
haulinS
3rd Gear
A G S

Old 07-16-2005, 03:09 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
How do you spell i n t a k e ?
Originally Posted by kenchan
me too!

search... "intake"

Old 07-16-2005, 03:12 PM
MINI_CAR
3rd Gear
ALTA intake system as well. Just love the sucking sound when ALTA intake sucks the air.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Audioman
4th Gear
I've got the Alta as well. I LOVE it!. At first I wasn't too keen on how loud it was... now I can't imagine owning a MINI without it. (Caution... more trips to the filling station are required, if you keep your foot in it like I do. )

side note... I bought this before the M7 AGS was available. Don't know which way I'd go now. People seem to be happy with that one as well.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Drivefst01
I am going to be purchasing a few performance parts in the near future. I am looking for some real world experience on which intake system to buy. I have already decided on the exhaust. Any help would be appreciated.
Intakes are different for MC vs MCS. (this post edited- additional details added that were left out due to lack of time and energy when originally posted)

Both models can take drop in filters that operate a little better than the stock paper filter. You have a choice of foam (Alta filter or unifilter), gauze (K&N) or paper (green) filter. This is the easiest option and maintains warranty and stock appearance. Also for those that autocross in stock classes, this is the only option that keeps you legal for competing. About $30-40.

For the MC, you can choose a larger cone style filter like Promini or Moss or K&N filters about $110-199 but be careful about rubbing of the inside of the bonnet liner on the filter or heat shield. These are fairly easy to install and give a little more HP. Also a little more intake sound.

For MCS you can choose from a wide variety of intakes that vary in cost, appearance, ease of installation, and intake sound.

AGS ($246, heat shield $53) is newest and costs a bit more, offers a shorter path from intake into the engine, in more involved for installation, has a heat shield, and has a moderate intake sound. You'll have to remove alot of stock parts along the intake path and you do get a little mixing of heated air from the engine bay along with fresh air. Many owners like it. Try to find someone with it so you can go for a drive and check it out. A larger throttlebody is also available ($300 more). http://www.m7tuning.com/products/ags.htm

Alta comes with silicon hose ($60 more) or just with intake box and foam filter ($199). It's basic and works, easy to install, you'll remove the rear cowl wall panel which lets in more air and allows more intake sound to reach the driver- so this intake is the loudest (sometimes too loud for some owners). The silicon hose runs from the intake filter to the throttlebody and offers smoother airflow and a bit more HP. Generally this is a popular filter for those that want power and don't mind the louder sound (at wide open throttle- otherwise at normal speeds it's fine)
http://detroittuned.com/products/ind...Section=engine
http://store.webbmotorsports.com/ind...x&cPath=16_3_5

Hot air intake- see the thread on this- just attach a K&N gauze filter directly to the throttlebody and you're done. Works ok and is a fast solution. Might get a bit dirty so check it on a regular basis.

(Edited with helpful feedback from Maddness)
Maddness intake (easy to install)
This is a design that has been around since I got my MINI, and includes:
12 gauge thick stainless steel heat shield, cleaning/reoiling kit, dual cone high flow velocity stack filter, a design that follows the contour of the hood (not straight cut), and an optional ($39) cowl vent mod- large opened rear cowl panel to allow air flow from the rear of the intake area yet protects the filter from debris or water that might get into the cowl area. Vent mod discounted with intake purchase.
($239) http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...WPROD&ProdID=9

Pilo intake- reasonably priced ($150)(easy to install) Designed by a fellow MCS owner, has heat shield with green filter and cleaning kit- http://www.piloracing.com/shop/prodd...SINTAKE&cat=21

RDR intake ($199 and easy to install) A variation of the basic intake that includes CNC machined powdercoated heat shield,long high flow filter. Cleaning kit extra $13.
http://helix13.com/html/products/pro...ew.php?p=6&h=m

BMP filter-(from $168) has a metal polished heat shield over the cone filter for cold air and will work with various strut tower braces- has a lower profile. Moderate power, moderate intake sound.
http://www.outmotoring.com/speed.html

One note is that with these intakes some intake boxes may require cutting of notches when using a tower strut bar.

To avoid cutting consider the BMP above or maybe the DINAN intake with DINAN strut bar.

JCW intake- closed air intake with solenoid that opens at 4500 rpm, works OK and has cool JCW logo plate on the intake, upgrade kit comes with JCW 400cc injectors.

K&N typhoon- From about $199, has a tube fitted to the air intake opening in the front of the MINI and an open cone filter that recieves the air. Moderate power gains and noise. The tube comes in different colors and looks nice.

Take your pick, some solutions are higher tech and some basic. Most work fairly well. Consider your other upgrades as you plan. When possible check out other MINIs and go for a test drive. Listen to the intake from within and from outside the car.

Last edited by minihune; 07-19-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:02 PM
minijob
1st Gear
I combined the BMP filter with the silicone hose from Alta, and I am very satisfied. The silicone hose really makes a difference I can notice!!

Old 07-16-2005, 04:29 PM
namwob
5th Gear
check out the NAM marketplace for intakes as people ditch theirs for the no dyno gain system. Kidding aside, once the sealing issue is addressed it may well be the intake of choice. Me ? ALTA rocks!

Old 07-16-2005, 04:36 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
I have the AGS w/throttle body and waiting on the heat sheild. Had the alta on there. Alta was nice, gave a lot of in cabin noise of the SC. AGS has less in cabin noise but is alot louder then the Alta. Guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
K&N typhoon- costly, has a tube fitted to the air intake opening in the front of the MINI and an open cone filter that recieves the air. Moderate power gains and noise. The tube comes in different colors and looks nice.
The Typhoon can be purchased for under $200.
I have said this before but if I were to do it again Hot Air Intake would be the way I would go.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:39 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
I am buying Alta next month, drove an 05 with Alta CAI, love the whistle

Old 07-17-2005, 03:28 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
First, I am a fan of M7 so no flame job intended but after all the AGSs out there why still no dyno results????????????

Old 07-17-2005, 03:54 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
IMO, a CAI or 'intake system' really does not 'produce' HP/TQ but makes a more efficient system when combined with an exhaust, TB, pulley, ECU, etc, which ultimately produces HP/TQ in concert.

The sum of the whole being different than the sum of the parts. We want the raw numbers, but I believe they are skewed once they are working together anyway.

My .02.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:07 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishey72
IMO, a CAI or 'intake system' really does not 'produce' HP/TQ but makes a more efficient system when combined with an exhaust, TB, pulley, ECU, etc, which ultimately produces HP/TQ in concert.

The sum of the whole being different than the sum of the parts. We want the raw numbers, but I believe they are skewed once they are working together anyway.

My .02.
Something as simple as this is with my old intake and this is with my new would suffice. Regardless of brand or stock and the inconsistencies of dyno results different days etc., someone should post something.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:14 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
WoW thanks minihune.
Thats alot of info and I guess I will still stick with the Alta CAI all the way...........

Old 07-17-2005, 05:15 AM
jlm
6th Gear
a larger problem (than no demonstrated hp gains) with AGS is that the mechanical support of the throttle body, filter, etc. is entirely via the rubber hose and clamps on the bypass. he result is the inevitable wiggling is transferred tor he seal at the SC...M7 has adressed this with silicone adhesive, but that is a junkyard fix

Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good morning JLM.You seem fixated with this lack of support of the TB. Have you seen this to be a problem in person or are you just guessing? I have personally worked with the system , installing and removing them numerous times during the R&D process. When removing the rubber tube you have to almost use your entire weight to push the tube down to free up the connection.If it is installed properly there is NO way that is going to move around by itself. Have you even seen the AGS in person? Please move on this is a non issue . Have a nice day.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Last edited by maxmini; 07-17-2005 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Intake, which one?