Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dyno Results from last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno Results from last night

Had the Mini Dyno'd last night at Edge Motorsports. I was just curious to see what it can do. I do know that under different conditions the results would be different. This is really for myself......but wanted to post to get feedback.

05 MCS
15% pulley
JCW Intake
JCW Software
Denso's

Best run 179.88 @wheels
Torque 168.18
So its pretty close to 200hp @ Crank....exact number??

The A/F Ratio looks funny....the sensor was blown out of the exhaust during a run. I would have got higher numbers if it were cooler. But not bad

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Results from last night-dyno-result.jpg  
Old 06-25-2005, 07:57 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice runs. I'd say you are around 205-210 at the flywheel given a 15% drivetrain loss. I am not sure what the average Mini has for drivetrain loss, but it should be somewhere between 10% and 20%.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:11 AM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
This is exactly what my 04 pulled with 15%, Alta CAI, Milltec and densos and no upgraded software. Your torque number was higher by 8, interesting.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:06 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
AFR's look fine until the end, but that dip around 5500 (just a guess) is knock. The ECU heard it, and pulled some timing and added fuel. What type of fan was being used on the IC? Hood up or hood down? Was the first run the green line, and the last the blue? What i am getting at is you may have gotten more HP if the IC was being feed more air, or a larger one was in place. Still very good!

Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I am not sure what the average Mini has for drivetrain loss, but it should be somewhere between 10% and 20%.
I would be very, VERY surprised if it was anywhere near 20%. I'm thinking low teens, if that.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
AFR's look fine until the end, but that dip around 5500 (just a guess) is knock. The ECU heard it, and pulled some timing and added fuel. What type of fan was being used on the IC? Hood up or hood down? Was the first run the green line, and the last the blue? What i am getting at is you may have gotten more HP if the IC was being feed more air, or a larger one was in place. Still very good!
That dip happened when the sensor put into the exhaust to measure A/F was blown out. I am not sure what kind of fan but it looks the ones you usually see during dyno runs. It was done with the hood up, is that good or bad?

The green was the first run and the blue the last. It was pretty warm so who knows if the temp was lower. I was just curious I have a stock exhaust and had 168lbs of torque. Would an aftermarket exhaust actually give me less torque? Since it has less backpressure.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:10 AM
ditc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by markbradford
I would be very, VERY surprised if it was anywhere near 20%. I'm thinking low teens, if that.
You can do a search if you want, as there has been a lot of discussion in the past. I believe the accepted number around here is 12%.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Detonics
3rd Gear
My yesterday' Dyno result

Hi Guys,
I was at the dyno workshop droping by to see my friend tuning some volvos and bmws with UNICHIP. So I thought of giving a dyno run for my car, I wasnt ready for it but I just did it. It's only 1 run to see the Hp and Torque.

My Mod:
Alta 15%Pulley
Alta Cai
Alta Stock size lighten crank pulley
One-ball
VGS
MTH

See the figure below. I need some feedback from you guys to see if this is the result expected from the current modification. Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Results from last night-rotation-of-picture-531-medium-.jpg   Dyno Results from last night-rotation-of-picture-532-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2005, 05:15 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
That torque looks mighty high....too high?

Originally Posted by Detonics
Hi Guys,
I was at the dyno workshop droping by to see my friend tuning some volvos and bmws with UNICHIP. So I thought of giving a dyno run for my car, I wasnt ready for it but I just did it. It's only 1 run to see the Hp and Torque.

My Mod:
Alta 15%Pulley
Alta Cai
One-ball
VGS
MTH

See the figure below. I need some feedback from you guys to see if this is the result expected from the current modification. Thank you!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Hi Guys,

My Mod:
Alta 15%Pulley
Alta Cai
One-ball
VGS
MTH

I agree those torque #'s are way up there. But if you feel your car to be that quick than who cares.........

Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any idea what the power and torque were at the wheels? That dyno claims to show "BHP" so there is some type of made-up correction factor already added to it (looks like a big one too).

Hi Guys,

My Mod:
Alta 15%Pulley
Alta Cai
One-ball
VGS
MTH

Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Im not sure abt the torque on wheels but the hp on wheel was about 182whp. So does it mean 209bhp on engine? I know there i some kind of calculation where you have to minus somw % from the BHP... but I im not too sure abt it.

Andy, does the result seems to be fine with the current mod?

Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ingsoc
That torque looks mighty high....too high?
It was measured in NM. The ratio of NM to actual Lb/ft is 1:0.737561 It is actually a reasonable curve.

Im not sure abt the torque on wheels but the hp on wheel was about 182whp. So does it mean 209bhp on engine? I know there i some kind of calculation where you have to minus somw % from the BHP... but I im not too sure abt it.

Traditional FPS unit of power, 1 BHP = 550 feet x pounds x seconds, or = 746 Watts, or = 0.746 kilowatts

Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Yup! Please be informed that the torque is measured in NM.

1nf3rn0,
Is that the correct ratio?

Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Yes, I believe it is. Il google it to make sure...

--EDIT--

The conversion rate is correct.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:49 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's tough to say without seeing a baseline or results from other stock and modded MINI's. The bogus factor that they applied complicates things, but 182 whp and 149 lb-ft sounds good.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Thanks andy!

How much do you think the larger intercooler ( Alta/Grs) will increase the Hp and torque, I know it's not as simple as the question but roughly I'll get 6hp min with it?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
It depends... At some point, you will reach a point of deminishing returns due to the poor placement of the intercooler. Up untill that point, you should see some decent gains depending on the mods you have.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:43 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Quick question. Your car was run in 3rd gear for these runs. I run mine in 4th, because 4th is closest to 1:1 isn't it? Someone who knows about dynos, please lemme know, for future reference .

Old 07-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Quick question. Your car was run in 3rd gear for these runs. I run mine in 4th, because 4th is closest to 1:1 isn't it? Someone who knows about dynos, please lemme know, for future reference .
Yes, it was on third gear...

Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Most people do it in 3rd gear.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Yes, I do think the same!

Old 07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
All the dyno runs done with our mini have always been 4th gear. Basiclaly all 6spd cars do it in 4th(because it is closest to 1-1 drivetrain ratio) and 5spds in 3rd. This is another varible to add to peoples dyno graphs that are posted. My experience with doing it in an easier gear is that the HP numbers are higher and the torque numbers are higher by about the tranny ratio difference. But as long as everyone does it in the same gear, we will all have more comparable numbers.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
ATSTodd
1st Gear
All the dyno runs done with our mini have always been 4th gear. Basiclaly all 6spd cars do it in 4th(because it is closest to 1-1 drivetrain ratio) and 5spds in 3rd. This is another varible to add to peoples dyno graphs that are posted. My experience with doing it in an easier gear is that the HP numbers are higher and the torque numbers are higher by about the tranny ratio difference. But as long as everyone does it in the same gear, we will all have more comparable numbers.
Doh! I have been doing it in 3rd to make the run faster and create less heat soak for all the partzes. On our dynojet I have never seen much of a difference in 4th or 3rd, that I remember anyway. guess i'll try both!

Todd

Old 07-01-2005, 03:21 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
This is the impression I was under. I run in 4th...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Dyno Results from last night