Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 19%er with a fan question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 AM
samawil
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19%er with a fan question

So I've had the 19% pulley on my MCS with Works and headers and I've noticed that now, my car's fan comes on almost everytime I turn off the car...even after a very short, not spirited (if that's possible with a mini) drive. Does anyone else have this same problem? and if so, what can be done about it (if anything needs to be done)

I have a oil temp guage and it's reading between 95 and 120 deg celcius...

I'm in Geneva, and the weather is really nice, not hot and humid like houston, but more like Sandiego on a nice day (80-90)

Thanks,

Louay

Old 06-17-2005, 02:31 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Louay,

Probably nothing need be done except for doing longer trips where you can drive and let the cool air lower the temperatures of your engine.

The fan is on because the engine temperature is hot enough to need some external cooling while the car is stopped. That's normal.

Short trips are harder on the engine and there is not enough time to cool things off because your MINI is parked before it gets a chance to cool down.

Make sure your coolant level is adequate. Check to make sure the engine temperature is in the middle of the gauge or less. Try some long drives and see how you do.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minihune,

A related question; When ever I've come to the end of a drive in a previously owned car and temps were hot enough for the fan to be on as I pulled into the drive, I simply let the car idle until the fan went off. I've tried to do the same with the Mini, but even after a literal 5 min. of waiting, the fan still runs. Sound normal? That's a long time.

This occurs only on the hottest, humid days - AC turned off a 1/2 mile before entering the driveway. ...maybe the AC should stay on???

Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
Minihune,

A related question; When ever I've come to the end of a drive in a previously owned car and temps were hot enough for the fan to be on as I pulled into the drive, I simply let the car idle until the fan went off. I've tried to do the same with the Mini, but even after a literal 5 min. of waiting, the fan still runs. Sound normal? That's a long time.

This occurs only on the hottest, humid days - AC turned off a 1/2 mile before entering the driveway. ...maybe the AC should stay on???
As long as the thermostat is working then it's just the engine temperature that will determine if the fan is going to kick in and turn on. Then as the temperature falls the fan will go off.

When I am at the track or autocross often the first run doesn't generate that much heat and the fan might stay off. Later the fan always comes on for 5 minutes or longer. I do put up the bonnet to let it cool quicker.

M7 has an aftermarket thermostat and opens at a lower temperature- that might help a little but really I don't think there is anything wrong with the fan being on as described.

You can try watching what happens with A/C left on or turned off. Bring your stopwatch.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:38 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, thanks. I've actually openned the bonnet on those really hot days to release some of that heat. I don't get to the track much anymore so my rides to and from work are spirited... 180 degree thermostat is in my Mini's future.

Michael

Old 06-17-2005, 03:20 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
If I recall correctly you shipped your MINI from Texas to Europe, right?

When a neighbor brought a car the other way (Germany to Dallas) the shipper drained the coolant (not the motor oil, though). Might be worth checking.

/gary mc

Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 AM
samawil
5th Gear
Thanks, I'll look into it, however, my car went straight from the container to the mechanic. They even diagnosed a problem I somewhat knew about...when we changed my wheels from oz to Konig Freefalls, it seemed like the bolts would tighten but it's just that they were getting stuck...I thought it was just the hole that was too small and that the tool was getting stuck, but they changed all the bolts and now there is no problem. They did a full check up of the car so as to pass emissions (which it did) now all that's left is the omologation test and ironically, the test is on the 4th of July
So until then, I get to drive my car with the American plates...that's turned more than a couple of heads

Louay