Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M7/Cosworth performance packages

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:40 PM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7/Cosworth performance packages

I was surfing around and saw that M7 has announced their Cosworth Performance Packages.

How cool!!!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF, they say for MINI Cooper and Cooper S, but ive failed to see ANY Cooper parts on M7's site......

Us standard Cooper owners need a site thats sells parts for OUR cars.

Instead of buying a part, getting it and going to install it only to find out its ONLY FOR AN S, we could buy parts just for Coopers!!!!

HEY, NOT EVERYONE HAS AN S!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Actually, basically Everything on the list besides the pulley, supercharger porting, and M7 intake can be used on a cooper.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
unless it says it will fit a cooper, i'm not buiyng it. ive done that before because they said oh, ok mini cooper, like theres only one type of mini cooper.

wrong, only for an s,

no thanks, i'll go somewhere else.....

also, id like performance parts for the cooper, not just wings, spoilers and grilles...not the universal stuff

Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
I feel for your redwhitecooper
The best way for you to do is get a turbo............

Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Samtrak
4th Gear
I had the pleasure of riding in the prototype beast a while back. Even with zero weight reduction this puppy pulled hard.

One of the most important things M7 has been focusing on is power throughout the entire powerband. Especially where we need it most, at 3000 to 4000 rpms. Kudos!

And for the next trick... how about a 2.0 liter conversion?

Old 06-01-2005, 10:01 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
i'm just sick of being the guy that can only get an intake and and an exhaust for my car and thats the extent of the performance for a MC. ok, well springs, swaybars and rims and tires are always nice, but it handles well enuff for me that i only wanna change out my springs and personalize my wheels a bit. other than that, i dont feel i need any more handling additions.

i would like some other parts for the MC's that would give a bit more performance. simple stuff. ECU stuff for example. seems all the ECU upgrades i see are for MCS only. WTF is that????

its a joke, its the same thing that happens between GT and V6 Mustangs......

Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
TwitchINC
2nd Gear
[
QUOTE=rednwhitecooper]i'm just sick of being the guy that can only get an intake and and an exhaust for my car and thats the extent of the performance for a MC. ok, well springs, swaybars and rims and tires are always nice, but it handles well enuff for me that i only wanna change out my springs and personalize my wheels a bit. other than that, i dont feel i need any more handling additions.

i would like some other parts for the MC's that would give a bit more performance. simple stuff. ECU stuff for example. seems all the ECU upgrades i see are for MCS only. WTF is that????

[/QUOTE]

I hear you borther

Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I understand it, the ratio of MCS's to Coopers is higher in the US than other countries. Given the relatively small MINI market as a whole to begin with, the few tuners focusing on us are doing so with their limited resources aimed at the generally more performance-minded MCS owners. With the tuners that I've come to know quite well, this is primarily a business decision, and not one that should be construed in such a way that the Cooper is not worthy. It's about getting a return on an investment, and what path is most likely to do so: x grand spent on cooper R&D, or x grand spent on MCS R&D...

Old 06-01-2005, 10:39 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
MTH is the ECU mod you want. Works great for either MC or MCS. I've got an '03 MC of course and the MTH ECU mod was one of the best bang for the buck improvements for my Cooper.

Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper

Old 06-02-2005, 03:35 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
MTH is the ECU mod you want. Works great for either MC or MCS. I've got an '03 MC of course and the MTH ECU mod was one of the best bang for the buck improvements for my Cooper.
Ditto!! Worked well on my last car (04 MC CVT).

I'm amazed but not shocked that M7 is using MTH for the ECU adjustments:smile:
I also see products that I thought were discontinued or never got out of the design stage due to "lack of interest"

Old 06-02-2005, 04:32 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of hijacking this thread, why not start a thread about the Cooper performance parts issue, and see if the vendors will chime in?

Back to the Cossie, this sounds like a great upgrade path for an S owner. Haven't looked yet, is the kit detailed on the M7 site?

Old 06-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
unless it says it will fit a cooper, i'm not buiyng it. ive done that before because they said oh, ok mini cooper, like theres only one type of mini cooper.

wrong, only for an s,

also, id like performance parts for the cooper, not just wings, spoilers and grilles...not the universal stuff
The head is interchangable. And the MTH works for coopers of all kinds. Someone on my team is running the MC TB on her MC and loves it. You can upgrade the MC cams if you really want to, and ignition system as well(gains are debatable here....) And of course all the headers will fit the MC or MCS. So really, the only things you are missing are the supercharger bits such as the pully and upgraded SC

I've got the MTH if you want to go for a ride in my car next time we meet, and if you ever want to upgrade to the MTH, i have the chord so you dont have to buy it

This is just a bit more than an intake an exhaust....performance and cost wise

Old 06-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
Instead of hijacking this thread, why not start a thread about the Cooper performance parts issue, and see if the vendors will chime in?

Back to the Cossie, this sounds like a great upgrade path for an S owner. Haven't looked yet, is the kit detailed on the M7 site?
Yah, its detailed well on the site. It includes 4 stages. 1st stage being simple for the person looking for a bit more power, the 4th stage being for someone who wants the very MOST from their car

Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
What no prices

Old 06-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by Pir8 97
What no prices
You don't actually expect such product announcements to coincide with product availability do you? These things take time around here

Old 06-02-2005, 06:12 AM
MiniRiderBill
2nd Gear
Probably have to mortgage the house to get one

Old 06-02-2005, 06:18 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Ba-Bye

Old 06-02-2005, 06:19 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Is the MTH upgrade owned by Cosworth or something? I don't see any parts on Stage 1 or 2 that are Cosworth, just M7....unless MTH is Cosworth.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:20 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
You can upgrade the MC cams if you really want to
Maybe Cooper owners aren't upgrading their "cams" because they think it's too expensive (i.e. buying 2 cams). Well I'm here to tell ya there's only one cam in the Cooper (and S) head, so mod away!

M

Old 06-02-2005, 06:25 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Is the MTH upgrade owned by Cosworth or something? I don't see any parts on Stage 1 or 2 that are Cosworth, just M7....unless MTH is Cosworth.
MTH is a ECU tuner in Germany. You can get your car with MTH software anytime on any MINI. It runs about $75 for the software and about $100 for the cable. Check out the thread on MTH.

Last edited by mdsbrain; 06-02-2005 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MartyR
Maybe Cooper owners aren't upgrading their "cams" because they think it's too expensive (i.e. buying 2 cams). Well I'm here to tell ya there's only one cam in the Cooper (and S) head, so mod away!

M
Ooops my bad, i didnt mean for the plural to be for each car, just in general. Sorry

Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
MTH is a ECU tuner in Germany. You can get your car with MTH software anytime on any MINI. It runs about $75 for the software and about $100 for the cable. Check out the thread on MTH.
So why is M7 calling Stage 1 & 2 M7/Cosworth Stage kits when they have no Cosworth components???

Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
So why is M7 calling Stage 1 & 2 M7/Cosworth Stage kits when they have no Cosworth components???
As I recall from a conversation with Peter, M7 & Cosworth worked together to develop these kits. Just because there isn't a Cosworth component doesn't mean they didn't have a hand in it... or at least their stamp of approval.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as performance parts for the Cooper - I would venture to guess that the vast majority of Cooper owners are not looking for power mods to begin with - if they were they wouldn't have bought the low power model to begin with. Vendors know this and don't like wasting R&D time and money.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M7/Cosworth performance packages