Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GRS Intercooler Evaluation (WMS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GRS Intercooler Evaluation (WMS)

Here is a link to the GRS testing and results:

http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forum...opic.php?t=643

Enjoy!

Randy
720-841-1002
303-683-4424
randy@webbmotorsports.com

Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
BriNYU
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Randy, thanks for the info on the GRS...

I was just wondering what your findings of the ALTA IC are when compared with the GRS.

The only reason I ask is because I just yesterday put in an order for an Alta IC and am now wondering if going the GRS IC route would be best.

Thanks!

ps - The IC is being installed over at Helix, along with e 19% pulley, oil catch can, GIAC ecu, and JCW injectors. (adding to a CAI, Borla, and exhaust header).

pps- Alta Site states for its IC, in which case the numbers seem comparable ----------"Dyno results on otherwise stock mini cooper s show 7 hp and 5 ft/lbs torque at the wheels from 2000 rpm to redline and beyond. Modified cars (pulley, intake and exhaust) produce an additional 9-11 hp and 7-9 ft/lbs torque." --------in which case the numbers seem competative/comparable. I'm so confused

ppps- not arguing anything - I'm not too familiar with things like this - just trying to learn so I can make the best decision with the help of other's expertise/advise.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:12 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Randy,
Looks good. I read your write up and I know that a more readable dyno chart is to follow but I was wondering if the gains were across the board or its mainly peak. Also, what sort of mods are on the test car? Where does an intercooler such as this fit into the mod timeline? Thanks.

--
Cheese

Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great writeup and some good numbers as well! This piece looks beautiful. I especially like the diverter-in-the-hood arrangement.

It also looks like GRS has some actual mounting tabs unlike the other big intercoolers on the market. Big plus in my book, since those others get beaten by mounting bosses due to being held in place solely by the boots. Is this the case?

Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Morales
4th Gear
Great evaluation, Randy. The numbers are impressive as is your writeup.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
just wondering...how does this compare vs. RMS water-air intercooler?

particularly for daily driving and no track days?

Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Originally Posted by BriNYU
Hi Randy, thanks for the info on the GRS...

I was just wondering what your findings of the ALTA IC are when compared with the GRS.

The only reason I ask is because I just yesterday put in an order for an Alta IC and am now wondering if going the GRS IC route would be best.

Thanks!

ps - The IC is being installed over at Helix, along with e 19% pulley, oil catch can, GIAC ecu, and JCW injectors. (adding to a CAI, Borla, and exhaust header).

pps- Alta Site states for its IC, in which case the numbers seem comparable ----------"Dyno results on otherwise stock mini cooper s show 7 hp and 5 ft/lbs torque at the wheels from 2000 rpm to redline and beyond. Modified cars (pulley, intake and exhaust) produce an additional 9-11 hp and 7-9 ft/lbs torque." --------in which case the numbers seem competative/comparable. I'm so confused

ppps- not arguing anything - I'm not too familiar with things like this - just trying to learn so I can make the best decision with the help of other's expertise/advise.
I will have to go back, but the numbers are close between the two. The temps are better from the Alta, but it has more of a pressure drop, so the horsepower numbers were a bit less from the Alta. The other big advantage of the GRS is the fit - it is perfect.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. Have fun at Helix!

Cheese,

The overlay charts were absolutely horrible when scanned, but once I can directly upload them, I think it'll be easy to see the results. There was a gain in torque and horsepower pretty much across the board.

Greatbear,

The GRS does have mounting tabs, and so far they have worked like a champ. Even when you remove the bolts, the tabs are where they should be alignment-wise, so there shouldn't be any cracking issues even way down the road. Like I said above, I think the fit and finish, in addition to the construction method of having a bonded core, puts this unit in a great position.

kbseto,

Well, the price just destroys the RMS, but the RMS will still outperform this unit. It does so in all environments, but that can't be said in all water-air cases - I have seen some serious heat soak issues from some designs of water-air units. On track, the air-air typically trash those.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 05-20-2005, 04:17 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Great write up Randy. For all the other vendors that get slammed by the "numbers". This is the kind of write many of us look for, with nice clear numbers not only of the secondary numbers (i.e. dyno plots), but also of the primary numbers (temps).

Old 05-20-2005, 06:10 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
Cheese,

The overlay charts were absolutely horrible when scanned, but once I can directly upload them, I think it'll be easy to see the results. There was a gain in torque and horsepower pretty much across the board.
Thanks for the reply, Randy. I think that "area under the curve" speaks a lot more about a product's performance than a peak number, especially on a daily driver. Thanks for qualifying your products before retailing them.

--
Cheese

Old 05-20-2005, 06:26 AM
DizzyTT
2nd Gear
After looking at this grs, I was very impressed, then I started comparing it to the webbmotorsports ultimate front mount, and now I am torn between them, but the price of the ultimate is $2350, and that's a bit much.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:59 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Randy, thank you for the interesting test result and the informative write-up! I have a question regarding the air diverter. Is it mounted on top of the intercooler or is it mounted on the underside of the bonnet scoop? Can you post a picture of the actual diverter and also can you describe the "tricked" diverter in more detail? :smile:

Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The diffuser mounts to the bonnnet, so that when it is shut, the unit matches up to the diffuser on the bonnet. Both pieces of the diffuser are mounted to the bonnet.

I'm off to Buffalo, and the car is over at the shop, so I'll have to post more pics when I get back.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 05-20-2005, 08:15 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
The diffuser mounts to the bonnnet, so that when it is shut, the unit matches up to the diffuser on the bonnet. Both pieces of the diffuser are mounted to the bonnet.

I'm off to Buffalo, and the car is over at the shop, so I'll have to post more pics when I get back.

Hope that helps!
Randy
Randy

i am just wondering.. i have the GRS unit's old diverter piece (smaller) and it's sitting too low, do you have the same problem? do you forsee any problems if i see around 1mm to 3 mm of intercooler's side when the bonnet's closed?

Old 05-20-2005, 08:23 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
randy, did you test with hood open or with the hood closed? i couldn't tell from the link you posted.

thanks.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:50 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Randy,
Just to make sure we get some info correct with our part. The pressure drop as measured by you was actually “.3 bar or so…” which is actually less of a pressure drop then the GRS unit at .5 bar.

QUOTED from webmotorsports forum board
http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forum...opic.php?t=278

Alta Intercooler Specs

“…….There is a slightly greater pressure drop across the unit, about .3 psi or so, but the temps are significantly lower, so your density is better…………”

RandyBMC
Owner

Also the testing you did on ours was a long time ago before we went to the cast endtanks. I am sure our WHP numbers will be better now. Thanks for the initial testing on our part. To this day we still use the data you gave us. You surely have helped sell our parts.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:18 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pressure drop is pretty heavily dependent on the amount of air the engine is consuming (and therefore boost). I wouldn't be suprised to see less pressure drop in Randy's current tests (200 hp at 10 psi ) than using a typical 15% pulleyed car that sees about 5 psi more.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:25 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Randy,
Just to make sure we get some info correct with our part. The pressure drop as measured by you was actually “.3 bar or so…” which is actually less of a pressure drop then the GRS unit at .5 bar.

QUOTED from webmotorsports forum board
http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forum...opic.php?t=278

Alta Intercooler Specs

“…….There is a slightly greater pressure drop across the unit, about .3 psi or so, but the temps are significantly lower, so your density is better…………”

RandyBMC
Owner

Also the testing you did on ours was a long time ago before we went to the cast endtanks. I am sure our WHP numbers will be better now. Thanks for the initial testing on our part. To this day we still use the data you gave us. You surely have helped sell our parts.
Hopefully I will get a chance this coming week to do some testing and report some more recent #'s. Hopefully wednsday I will be able to get down there and see what the intercooler will do for my car.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:03 PM
jlm
6th Gear
nipping at your heels: 1 bar = 14.7psi or so

Old 05-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Chibo
2nd Gear
I'll hopefully be ordering one from you next paycheck

Old 06-19-2005, 07:55 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So who's got one and what are your impressions?