Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The cheapest CAI intake ever!! **FREE**

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cheapest CAI intake ever!! **FREE**

I just ordered a HAI, and was thinking about the ALTA and other CAI's and figured I'd head down and check things out a little bit.

So I started removing the intake parts and noticed that it looked sort of like something I used to do on my old 4th gen civics.

So then I followed these instructions https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=15124 to remove the plastic back plate.

I put the bottom of the intake box back on and it looked like this: (pics are from my phone...batteries in the cam were dead.)

I had to cut off the flange that protrudes from the top of the intake box so that I could flip the top of the intake over with the filter facing up...it was kind of like the ALTA CAI, only with the stock paper filter, and no heat shield...but after reading this about underhood temps:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...ight=underhood

I wasnt really concerned with a heat shield anyway. So this is the basic concept:

You basically take out the plastic back shield, and flip over the top of the intake box. Here is where you need to do a little inventing though. I just finished this up 5 min ago, and haven't yet figured out a way to anchor the overturned top to the bottom of the filter box. Also the + box of the battery needs to be secured.

I did end up drilling 4 small holes in each corner of the overturned top and using thin safety wire secured the filter to the overturned filter box top. I used a larger screw type clamp to secure the filter top to the intake hose.

Here is another pic, and a pic of the pieces removed:

Now...the Butt Dyno.

It pulls hard all the way to 6750 rpm, something my stock cooper never did. The sound is AWESOME!!! I'm assuming there are gains over the stock system, it feels quicker, but the best part is that it has a top end now, rather than falling on its face at 5500.

It's not perfected, but I think with a K&N drop in filter this could be a great intake mod...for very cheap.

-Jake

Old 05-15-2005, 10:18 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Interesting.

It works like a HAI in that the air comes from the engine bay area but farther back than an intake connected closer to the throttlebody.

Maybe cut the hole opening in the black plastic area a bit larger and wider to allow more air to flow over the the intake. Or maybe route some air from the bonnet scoop over to the intake area to increase some air flow.

Other question is being that the air now comes from the engine bay and not from the snorkel- how is the level of contaminant affected? Will the air filter get dirty faster than before when the stock design was used.

Maybe consider using an alta foam filter and making a thin metal rib cage to hold the filter and protect it. I'd use a foam filter before a K&N. Not sure how it would affect the intake sound with either.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Well...by removing the plastic back piece, you open up the filter to the little honeycomb section right below the wipers. I could fashion a heat shield that would completely isolate it, but I think the airflow is good enough that there really isnt a need for it. I have a dyno coming up on the 19th, so Ill put it back to stock for my first 2 runs, and then do the conversion for the last 2. Id assume the filter will get dirtier than before, but paper filters are cheap, and any other aftermarket drop in could be easialy cleaned.

I was thinking about routing some cooler air back there, but after reading the mini2 post about underhood temps, I really dont worry about it to much.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:58 AM
XTREEM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope your not expecting power gains!!!!!! What did you use to block off the snorkle hole?

Old 05-16-2005, 05:10 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
You might be onto something here.

"The garage man's Intake" Cheap and very easy to install. :smile:

Old 05-16-2005, 06:02 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting experiment. I believe there is definately some benefit to removing the first half of the stock intake ducting and even more in the second half.

--
Cheese

Old 05-16-2005, 06:15 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Dyno Numbers

Don't be making unsubstantiated claims about your intake, here without the NUMBERS

Peter...are you reading this?

Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by webstrands
Don't be making unsubstantiated claims about your intake, here without the NUMBERS

Peter...are you reading this?
Please note that he never promised any numbers or made any comparative claims relative to other available intakes.

M

Old 05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coop d'etat
....I did end up drilling 4 small holes in each corner of the overturned top and using thin safety wire secured the filter to the overturned filter box top.....
:smile: what a good idea!

could you cut down the old bottom section to where just a "clamping" ring was left and use that to clamp the filter to the old top using the same screw locations?

i agree with mac that cutting down as many bends as possible is a good thing, all other things being equal. yours has about 1 more bend more than a hai, about 2 bends more than an ags. but the measure of merit $$/bend reduction is the lowest for yours!!!

Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MartyR
Please note that he never promised any numbers or made any comparative claims relative to other available intakes.
M
Sure he did! Substantiated it, too! As I read it, the pertinent number is '$0'.

Old 05-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by XTREEM
I hope your not expecting power gains!!!!!! What did you use to block off the snorkle hole?
I'd be willing to bet cash that there is a power gain no matter how small. The filter is not set into the lower part of the box, so there are no holes that need blocking. Basically its just removing the plastic rear devider between the firewall and the stock intake box, then flipping over the top of the intake, and securing it. The bottom of the stock airbox is used to hold the flipped top box in place...it fits quite snug actually.

It's basically like the ALTA w/o a cone filter, or heat shield (so I use "like" loosley) The car is getting more air...thats a fact. It pulls strong all the way to redline, which is something the car in stock trim never did. I used this sort of mod in my civics all the time with a drop in K&N filter, and Roger Foo (the first civic to win a race in the Speedvision touring cup) actually ran a setup just like it in his civic race car. In the civics we were able to loose the botom completely and then use a small bracket to secure the top of the intake box.

A link about Foo using his modified stock airbox as his intake:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...c_skunk2civic/

After I did it I canceled my order for my HAI filter. I'll be looking for a foam, or K&N filter to replace the stock paper filter.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:07 PM
minicar3
2nd Gear
That's the best number yet!!!!

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Sure he did! Substantiated it, too! As I read it, the pertinent number is '$0'.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:13 PM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MartyR

M
Yea, but I don't care! I want to see dyno numbers or I'm not doing this.

Oh, and I want the numbers done on a totally stock MCS, during a full moon, in the southern hemisphere, at sea level, during the spring time, with a small jazz band playing in the background!

Without that the numbers are INVALID!

Old 05-16-2005, 04:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
>It's basically like the ALTA w/o a cone filter, or heat shield (so I use "like" loosley)

It's nothing like the Alta. you took away everything that makes an
Alta intake.

cool idea though.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
It's nothing like the Alta. you took away everything that makes an
Alta intake.

cool idea though.

I guess "CAI-like" would have been a better description. After reading that Mini2 post...I think that the heat shield is a bit pointless anyway. Im really interested to get my dyno pulls in this week. I think Ill pay a bit more and try to do some stock airbox pulls, and with this mod paper/K&N/foam (if I can find one).

heiron: Does the Jazz band need to be in the backgroud, or back of the car?

Old 05-16-2005, 07:13 PM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Coop d'etat

heiron: Does the Jazz band need to be in the backgroud, or back of the car?
Background of course, and old school jazz only!

Old 05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cheiron19
Yea, but I don't care! I want to see dyno numbers or I'm not doing this.

Oh, and I want the numbers done on a totally stock MCS, during a full moon, in the southern hemisphere, at sea level, during the spring time, with a small jazz band playing in the background!

Without that the numbers are INVALID!

This is too funny Cherion 19. We all have alittle clown in us after all we drive clown cars. (LoL)

Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Background of course, and old school jazz only!

What will the old school jazzband members be wearing? And what will they be smoking/drinking?

Clover

Old 05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
What will the old school jazzband members be wearing? And what will they be smoking/drinking?

Clover
They are all wearing black suits with white shirts and narrow black ties. They're smoking Padron Robustos and drinking Bombay Sapphire Martinis.

Real Martinis and good cigars, there is nothing better, well that I can mention in public anyway.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
funny, my Alta quartet is made up of mostly whistlers.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
They are all wearing black suits with white shirts and narrow black ties. They're smoking Padron Robustos and drinking Bombay Sapphire Martinis.

Real Martinis and good cigars, there is nothing better, well that I can mention in public anyway.
How are they going to be drinking, smoking, AND be playing instruments at the same time??! We're going to need and independent arbiter! (Funny, I think I'm available, and I'll have two hands free!)

Coop - it would be great if you can get before and after PCAI (Psuedo...)

Old 05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Coop - it would be great if you can get before and after PCAI (Psuedo...)
I'll try and get some in this week. Its finals week, so it might be the weekend.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:47 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
Looking at what you have done, what chance is there for water to get in and mess up teh filter or get down into the TB?

Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
I cant imagine that it would be any more likely than any of the other CAI's on the market. The filter doesnt sit directly under the honeycomb grille under the wipers so you wouldn't get any direct drip. Ill turn the hose on the car tonight to find out for sure.

-Jake

Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
I hosed down the hood of the car and made sure to get some at full stream into the wiper vents. At that full force (which would be like driving in a hurricane) one paper fold at the very back of the intake (closest to the firewall) got slightly damp. I had to check twice to make sure it was actualy wet. Nothing to worry about as far as im concerned.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The cheapest CAI intake ever!! **FREE**