Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta crank pulley post Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta crank pulley post Dragon

Chad from Detroit tuned showed me the Alta crank pulley and I got to tell you I am very impressed with the machining and the weight loss. I read the threads that were mostly posted back in March and i am wondering what the current feel is for Dampner vs no Dampner.

Chad said they met the designer of the engine and he said he did not see a problem (I'm trying not to put words in Chad's mouth) Others think it could be. I know this might stir things up but that is what this forum is for. I'm thinking seriously of getting one and want to check what all the Jedi currently think.

Bob

Old 05-10-2005, 05:29 PM
jlm
6th Gear
Old 05-10-2005, 05:40 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
I don't trust info from a site that is trying to hype their product. Check out the many posts on this and any other performance SMALL car website. A lot of claims but no real data for or against.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
This is an ongoing debate raging on every car messageboard across the internet. Trying to find an absolute definitive answer seems like a lost cause.

For what it's worth, my honda engine builder runs a lightweight crank pulley on his engine. He also rebuilds frequently so bearing wear wouldn't be an issue anyway... Again, no definitive answer.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:32 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
OK, I read it.

What abot the report that the engine designer says they tested the engine for 100,000 miles without a damper with little to no effects.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Poderes1
2nd Gear
Well SpiderX, I just recently purchased Alta's new 17% reduction pulley along with Alta's new crank pulley and are as curious as you to find out from others what it has done to their mini's. I like to know if its good or not before I get it installed in my mini. I will definitely get the 17% pulley installed but I would like assurances from others from what they have experienced from the crank pulley so i can get a green light to install the crank pulley as well. Hope to get and read all reply's as they come. Anyone out there please help so i can get this crank pulley installed as well

Originally Posted by SpiderX
Chad from Detroit tuned showed me the Alta crank pulley and I got to tell you I am very impressed with the machining and the weight loss. I read the threads that were mostly posted back in March and i am wondering what the current feel is for Dampner vs no Dampner.

Chad said they met the designer of the engine and he said he did not see a problem (I'm trying not to put words in Chad's mouth) Others think it could be. I know this might stir things up but that is what this forum is for. I'm thinking seriously of getting one and want to check what all the Jedi currently think.

Bob

Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
I just installed my ALTA crank pulley. The car definitely feels like it's accelerating quicker than before even in south Louisiana heat and humidity. I don't feel like I'm staying in gear for the same amount of time(shorter) before I have to shift now. Don't hear any abnormal noises or feel any vibrations either. So far so good. I'd recommend it. IAlso, after I pulled the stock unit and inspected it, the casting flaws are plenty...some of my grooves for the belt weren't even there.