Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain '05 S (need help determining some mods)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S (need help determining some mods)...

So I am curious, I will be getting an '05 S w/lsd and am curious what are some must have mods for the mini s.

Is the JCW Upgrade worthwhile?
Dinan Throttle Body?
I need some ideas

I am not sure I want to drop 5k + on the 210 kit :/.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:18 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
The question of the JCW is kind of based on warranty issues. You can get similar HP gains from after market parts for less money but you will probably void your warranty doing so, Or you can buy the JCW kit and have the HP gains plus the warranty.

...and with this I go to sixth gear, and there was much rejoicing.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:24 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I know :( Stinks...

Why cann't they make a cheap JCW kit or one that can be built up rather than all at once

Old 12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minimotorin
The question of the JCW is kind of based on warranty issues. You can get similar HP gains from after market parts for less money but you will probably void your warranty doing so, Or you can buy the JCW kit and have the HP gains plus the warranty.

...and with this I go to sixth gear, and there was much rejoicing.
6th gear-

On one of the lexus message boards a member has 13k posts and he's not a mod either. WTF!!!

Old 12-22-2004, 09:31 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
So I am curious, I will be getting an '05 S w/lsd and am curious what are some must have mods for the mini s.

Is the JCW Upgrade worthwhile?
Dinan Throttle Body?
I need some ideas

I am not sure I want to drop 5k + on the 210 kit :/.
one thing i always do to any mini is sway bar.. biggest difference in the world in handling... whether you autocross or not, with a sway bar the car just rotates better without as much understeer when exiting...

Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Do you have a recommendation on a sway bar? Dinan one or another brand you think would help?

Just a front one or a rear sway bar to?

Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
FlynH,

check out the suspension and driveline modification threads for choices and manufacturers of mods. The MCS is unusual in that you should upgrade the rear anti-sway bar and honestly do nothing on adding a front anti-sway bar, it ain't needed. Many options exist: Alta, Helix/RDR, Moss just to name a few.

Get your MCS then start modding, it's addictive.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:23 AM
paul's s
2nd Gear
Hi,

I have an '05 cooper s, and have made some mod's which have made a difference so far. 1. Alta 15% pulley. Reliable upgrade, well made piece, and a real increase in horsepower and driveability. The pulley upgrade has made the whole power band nicer. 2. H-sport or M7 springs. I went with the H-sport springs. The springs with the H-sport competition rear sway bar have made the car handle very nice. One drawback, you will feel bumps, uneven pavement, etc. more with the H-sport springs. I hear the M7 springs are more comfortable for street use. The rear sway bar is good also. If I had to do it again I would have installed a 19mm rear sway bar instead of the 22 mm because the rear sway bar stiffens up the rear of the car. I hear the 19mm is better for street use. With the springs you will need to do lower control arms in the rear to get a proper allignment. 3. Non-run flat performance tires. The non run flat tires & light weight wheels are also a nice upgrade to give the car a much better ride, and increase the performance/handling of the car. A lot of guys have done cold air intakes such as the Alta or K & N. A good software upgrade will tie all of your future performance mods together with also a horsepower increase.

Anyway, there are endless upgrades for the cooper s, depending on how much you want & how much cash you have. Each upgrade adds a little more to the whole performance package in the long run. It's kind of addictive once you start, but fun. You will really enjoy the cooper s, its such a great car.

Paul

Old 12-22-2004, 11:31 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
h-sport has been claimed to be the best for overall street use simply due to poly bushings, although the new r-speed one also uses that and has gotten good results.. in the end, alta, helix, rspeed, madness, h-sprt have the same effective rate so there is very little difference between them

pulley helps the car just accelearate better... overall, most people who mod minis go with pulley, exhaust, intake,chip and sway bar... alot of people swap out their tires for conventional tires, and light wheels... tb also seems to be a popular mod although i am not going to do it

there are more wild mods like full cylinder heads, cams, tmics, coils, even twin charge if you are feeling ambitious... but all depends on your needs and your budget.. someone like eldiablorojo who seems to have bottomless funds can afford alot more than someone like me!

btw, this is not a slam against eldiablorojo... i LOVE his car...