Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Injector and Tune Questio

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM
R53Miami
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector and Tune Questio

Hello everyone,

so I just finished installing my Alta 17% pulley on my 2005 JCW and I'm satisfied with slight performance increase. However, I'm looking to run 100% ethanol and looking to buy bigger injectors along with a tune. I am looking at the Bosch 630cc and 650cc's for right now but I wondering if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations on this before I do the purchase. Mind you I'm a CPL in the US military and they dont pay us very well so I think most here would agree that I would like to pay a fair price for these. I've just seen too many $400 prices on injectors which I think is overpriced tbh.

anyways, whatever research or good inputs I will gladly appreciate it.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:09 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by R53Miami
Hello everyone,

so I just finished installing my Alta 17% pulley on my 2005 JCW and I'm satisfied with slight performance increase. However, I'm looking to run 100% ethanol and looking to buy bigger injectors along with a tune. I am looking at the Bosch 630cc and 650cc's for right now but I wondering if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations on this before I do the purchase. Mind you I'm a CPL in the US military and they dont pay us very well so I think most here would agree that I would like to pay a fair price for these. I've just seen too many $400 prices on injectors which I think is overpriced tbh.

anyways, whatever research or good inputs I will gladly appreciate it.
Is this a street car? If so........are you just going to stock 55gal drums of ethanol in your garage?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
R53Miami
Neutral
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Is this a street car? If so........are you just going to stock 55gal drums of ethanol in your garage?
lol, yes this is a street car and theres plenty of gas stations around me which carrying E85. Correction trying to run E85 not 100% ethanol LOL

Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Ok..E85 I can see...100% ethanol didn't make any sense to me at all.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:49 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
630-650cc injectors on a barely-modified R53 seems counter-productive. JCW injectors are only 380cc. You would also need to fork out for a tune to get the most out of an injector upgrade so your total cost is going to be substantially more than $400.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:40 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
630-650cc injectors on a barely-modified R53 seems counter-productive. JCW injectors are only 380cc. You would also need to fork out for a tune to get the most out of an injector upgrade so your total cost is going to be substantially more than $400.
You need a lot more fuel volume when you run E85.....

E85 stoich is around 10:1.....gasoline is 14.7:1. In other words ...e85 requires a lot more fuel.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Correct, on a mildly modified R53, the 650cc injectors would be the better choice, you could probably get by with 550's but it would be close, and there no reason to risk it since a tune is required with either.

I think the OP is really only looking for a good price on them.
I got mine through ByteTronik (my tuner) but I honestly don't remember the cost.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 AM
R53Miami
Neutral
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Correct, on a mildly modified R53, the 650cc injectors would be the better choice, you could probably get by with 550's but it would be close, and there no reason to risk it since a tune is required with either.

I think the OP is really only looking for a good price on them.
I got mine through ByteTronik (my tuner) but I honestly don't remember the cost.
Ok so the 650cc that bosch makes is probably my best from what I'm reading. Now I'm wondering which ones exactly because I've seen a bunch out there. And to clear up my comment as investing 400 dollars on injectors... I'm on a 1k budget for this upgrade that's I believe spending 300 - 350 on just injectors alone is my cap. On another note My BHP goal is 250 at the wheels and I'm hoping to get close to that with the E85, 17% pulley, Catless exhaust, Injectors and tune.

As for my desires to further mod my mini would include rebuilding the whole bottom end with .5 over bore pistons, Forged rods, and maybe a Catcam street profile with a retune. Ofcourse this would be a much bigger project with a higher budget. And to be honest I think I can remain happy with 250whp for a while. Do you think this is possible with my current set up. (17% Pulley, MSD Coil Pack, Brisk Racing 2 steps colder plugs, JCW air box Mod, Catless exhuast, E85, 650cc injectors and a tune.)

Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Really...I'm not sure what running on e85 is going to get you....unless you really take advantage of it's higher octane. You can run a 17% pulley on gasoline with no detonation issues. If you were going to run a turbo setup, and really bump up the boost, the e85 would help you out......but with just doing a pulley, exhaust, CAI......I don't think it's going to get you as much power as you think.

As far as getting 250hp at the wheels.....I'm pretty sure you are going to need a BHV and good cam for that.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Ok so the 650cc that bosch makes is probably my best from what I'm reading. Now I'm wondering which ones exactly because I've seen a bunch out there. And to clear up my comment as investing 400 dollars on injectors... I'm on a 1k budget for this upgrade that's I believe spending 300 - 350 on just injectors alone is my cap. On another note My BHP goal is 250 at the wheels and I'm hoping to get close to that with the E85, 17% pulley, Catless exhaust, Injectors and tune.

As for my desires to further mod my mini would include rebuilding the whole bottom end with .5 over bore pistons, Forged rods, and maybe a Catcam street profile with a retune. Ofcourse this would be a much bigger project with a higher budget. And to be honest I think I can remain happy with 250whp for a while. Do you think this is possible with my current set up. (17% Pulley, MSD Coil Pack, Brisk Racing 2 steps colder plugs, JCW air box Mod, Catless exhuast, E85, 650cc injectors and a tune.)
As far as Injectors, sorry I don't have a part number for you, honestly, because I got them through ByteTronik, I didn't inquire further, knowing that they would supply me with what they liked and were having good results with. All i know is that they are Bosch. And yes, the specific part number will matter, since spray pattern and atomization characteristics will matter, not just flow rate if you want the best possible performance from them.
If you don't have a tuner yet, you can message them here on the forum @ByteTronik , maybe they can set up a package for you. Injectors, Pigtails and a Tune, if you still decide to go this route.
(Plus, with their tune, you'll get a flash tool, that will allow you to switch back to a pump gas tune, for those injectors, should you want to road trip and can't find e85.)

As for power, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but without a BVH, a Turbo conversion or Nitrous, the stock head won't allow you much over a true 225-230 WHP, the factory valve and port sizes just create too much of a bottleneck for the engine to breathe well enough.
An e85 tune will probably at best net you +10-12 WHP over what your current mods and a good pump gas tune will get you, so you're probably looking at a true 220-225 WHP total for now at best.
But... That being said, a true 225 WHP Mini is quite fast and can be a lot of fun.

Oh, not to dissuade you further, but there is something else to consider, "if" you were to later consider a BVH, the 650's probably wouldn't be large enough to run e85 with it. (As a reference, with my turbo conversion, I'm limited to 22 psi on pump gas with 650's because of running out of injector.)

If you're wanting to run e85 for other reasons,, I'm all for it, but I don't think I'd let power potential be the main reason at this stage, unless you know for sure you won't do any "Big Power" (250+ WHP) mods later down the road.

​​​​​

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-06-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:34 AM
R53Miami
Neutral
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
As far as Injectors, sorry I don't have a part number for you, honestly, because I got them through ByteTronik, I didn't inquire further, knowing that they would supply me with what they liked and were having good results with. All i know is that they are Bosch. And yes, the specific part number will matter, since spray pattern and atomization characteristics will matter, not just flow rate if you want the best possible performance from them.
If you don't have a tuner yet, you can message them here on the forum @ByteTronik , maybe they can set up a package for you. Injectors, Pigtails and a Tune, if you still decide to go this route.
(Plus, with their tune, you'll get a flash tool, that will allow you to switch back to a pump gas tune, for those injectors, should you want to road trip and can't find e85.)

As for power, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but without a BVH, a Turbo conversion or Nitrous, the stock head won't allow you much over a true 225-230 WHP, the factory valve and port sizes just create too much of a bottleneck for the engine to breathe well enough.
An e85 tune will probably at best net you +10-12 WHP over what your current mods and a good pump gas tune will get you, so you're probably looking at a true 220-225 WHP total for now at best.
But... That being said, a true 225 WHP Mini is quite fast and can be a lot of fun.

Oh, not to dissuade you further, but there is something else to consider, "if" you were to later consider a BVH, the 650's probably wouldn't be large enough to run e85 with it. (As a reference, with my turbo conversion, I'm limited to 22 psi on pump gas with 650's because of running out of injector.)

If you're wanting to run e85 for other reasons,, I'm all for it, but I don't think I'd let power potential be the main reason at this stage, unless you know for sure you won't do any "Big Power" (250+ WHP) mods later down the road.

​​​​​
I was under the assumption that 250whp was very achievable with my current plans. And as much as I want to just buy the parts already I'm going to follow your advice and contact Bytetronik first. I'm hoping by talking to them about my goals and what my plans are I can get an idea if I'm going to do one big project Vs. two small ones. Thqnk you for the help and we will see what transpires from this. Im looking forward to post some valueble data and contribute to the site.

Thank you to everyone!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I was under the assumption that 250whp was very achievable with my current plans. And as much as I want to just buy the parts already I'm going to follow your advice and contact Bytetronik first. I'm hoping by talking to them about my goals and what my plans are I can get an idea if I'm going to do one big project Vs. two small ones. Thqnk you for the help and we will see what transpires from this. Im looking forward to post some valueble data and contribute to the site.

Thank you to everyone!
From everything I've ever read on here from the guys that actually are putting out an honest 250hp to the wheels.......you will need all of the bolt-on stuff (pulley, intake, exhaust including header), and then also a larger injectors, a good aftermarket cam, a big valve head $$$$, and then get it all tuned on a dyno. Just bolt ons and e-85 isn't going to get you 250hp at the wheels......probably around 200h at the wheels, if that much.