Drivetrain Dinan Elite JCW CEL P12A9 :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:32 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just got off the phone with Dinan to order the Sport Tuner and mentioned this thread.

Joe Phillips left the company about a month ago. The company also moved from CA to AL, consolidating operations. Lots of things delayed / lost in the shuffle during this time. They have since hired three guys to cover the work Joe was doing in the warranty department and should be up to speed.

My suggestion would to place a telephone call to them directly and discuss the issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by JeffreyC:
Minnie.the.Moocher (03-21-2018), phantasms (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyC
I just got off the phone with Dinan to order the Sport Tuner and mentioned this thread.

Joe Phillips left the company about a month ago. The company also moved from CA to AL, consolidating operations. Lots of things delayed / lost in the shuffle during this time. They have since hired three guys to cover the work Joe was doing in the warranty department and should be up to speed.

My suggestion would to place a telephone call to them directly and discuss the issue.
Thanks for calling them, sounds like what I thought in post #18. They should do a better job of follow up on departed employees messages, etc.

The following users liked this post:
phantasms (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks guys. I called them yet again and left a VM.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Still nothing from DINAN.

However, just got off the phone with Way [who is awesome]. He spoke with his DINAN rep who is going to call me. I finally have confidence again that this will be made right.

To be continued...

Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Road trip to wherever in the heck they are based at now

Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Road trip to wherever in the heck they are based at now

Spoke with a guy at DINAN. Seemed like a good dude. I'm bringing the car into the DINAN authorized dealer next week to see what's what. Either Mini will cover the issue or DINAN will. Or maybe I screwed up a plug and I will.

We'll see what's what.

I hope they don't care about this kind of thing ...

Attached Thumbnails Dinan Elite JCW CEL P12A9 :(-img_1582.jpg  
Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Now why in the F is that sideways. It's not on my phone or computer. Don't know don't care, I'll worry about it after my car is fixed.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by phantasms
Now why in the F is that sideways. It's not on my phone or computer. Don't know don't care, I'll worry about it after my car is fixed.
Maybe you did screw up a plug ........

I kid, I kid

phantasms (03-26-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms
Too funny. Back when they were still replying to emails they said "wow that's weird we've never had any issue like that before".

How did you get refunded? Frankly I haven't reached out to Way about it yet because I was always under the assumption that DINAN would eventually figure it out. My car is a lease and frankly I was willing to not have the very best tune so I could keep the warranty. I want this to work. But at this point F it. Obviously this is way past the return period but I have evidence that it didn't work since day 2.

Best,
Gene
Dinan guarantees you will be impressed by the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner and the performance it provides that we offer a 3-Day return policy. If you aren't satisfied with what the Dinan solution brings to the table within 3 days of install you can go back to your dealer for a full refund (installation labor costs still apply).

I wasn't satisfied with what the Dinan solution brought to the table!!

ECS took care of the sale, and the refund.

phantasms (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_vinnie
maybe you did screw up a plug ........

I kid, i kid
^lol!

phantasms (03-26-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:07 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Quick update:

Dealer had to do a reset and reboot of the computer to fully get rid of the CEL. Several ignition cycles and still no codes. It’s pulling stronger than ever. Clearly it was releasing some boost as a precaution when it had the CEL.

I will test with my VBOX and do a full write up.

As it stands now I’m a happy customer.

Happy with DINAN in the end.
Very happy with Way.
Would recommend the unit.

More to come..

Best,
Gene

The following 2 users liked this post by phantasms:
2017All4 (03-27-2018), WayMotorWorks (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I have 2 take-aways from this useful thread:

If the manufacturer is not responsive, engage the vendor from whom you purchased the product.

Have the dealer check the car if there are codes.

And, third take-away is never give up.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Hmmm interesting. Do you remember how long it took you to get your original CEL? Basically your mini is in the same condition as it was before you installed the Dinan originally

Old 03-28-2018, 02:25 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Hmmm interesting. Do you remember how long it took you to get your original CEL? Basically your mini is in the same condition as it was before you installed the Dinan originally
Three ignition cycles. I’m curious if there was some software update on their end that may have helped.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Nice, fingers crossed

Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Happy to help one of our customers.

Looks like they cleared the adaptations which very well could have been what helped fix it. If they were off slightly it takes a while for the car to relearn and clearing it set it to zero so now it's learning with the dinan connected so it very well could fix it. Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 AM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to see this was resolved

I've been watching this thread and glad to see resolved - I have 1,500 miles on my Dinan Elite for 2016 JCW and have been very happy with it...but curious if a CEL would throw. Seems like this may have been a "corner" case. Congratulations and good to see everyone step up and help.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Happy to help one of our customers.

Looks like they cleared the adaptations which very well could have been what helped fix it. If they were off slightly it takes a while for the car to relearn and clearing it set it to zero so now it's learning with the dinan connected so it very well could fix it. Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
^That's great to hear. Quick question, is there another way to reset those long therm adaptations? Like disconnect the battery for a few minutes/half an hour or maybe using some apps like Bimmercode or Torque Pro and obd2 dongle? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by boki
^That's great to hear. Quick question, is there another way to reset those long therm adaptations? Like disconnect the battery for a few minutes/half an hour or maybe using some apps like Bimmercode or Torque Pro and obd2 dongle? Thanks.
You need the MINI software to do it as the battery reset won't clear all the values.

And NO you can NOT do it by pushing buttons on the instrument cluster as that does nothing for the DME, as people try this all the time and say it does. It's not true.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
You need the MINI software to do it as the battery reset won't clear all the values.

And NO you can NOT do it by pushing buttons on the instrument cluster as that does nothing for the DME, as people try this all the time and say it does. It's not true.
Thanks for the prompt reply, I didn't mean if you could do it by pressing buttons on the instrument cluster, I asked if it can be done with Bimmercode app and obd2 dongle - I did a bunch of coding to my Mini that way and you can do almost all the coding with that app as you could with the ESYS and a laptop.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by boki
Thanks for the prompt reply, I didn't mean if you could do it by pressing buttons on the instrument cluster, I asked if it can be done with Bimmercode app and obd2 dongle - I did a bunch of coding to my Mini that way and you can do almost all the coding with that app as you could with the ESYS and a laptop.
Way isn't talking about coding. Pretty sure bimmercode can only do coding of modules, it cannot do full DME resets of adaptations which is what the tools MINI uses would do.

WayMotorWorks (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 AM
boki
3rd Gear
OK, clarified then, thanks.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:30 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes you need the real MINI diagnostic software to do the adaptation reset, not just coding.

I put the note about people trying to use the cluster as that is usually the first thing someone responds back so I wanted to post it first to be clear that doesn't work.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:32 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Way thank you again. I already purchase all my Mini stuff from you anyway but you've got a customer for life. The car is such a beast now. It went from "quick Mini" to "fast car".

I'm in the middle of a move but as soon as I can I'll get some Vbox data on it.

I saw the GP3 concept at the NYautoshow today. Any way you can carry those body panels?

Best,
Gene

WayMotorWorks (03-29-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Happy the issue is resolved.

A take-away from this is, if you buy and install the Dinan yourself, you (or in this case the vendor) has to work as the go-between you and Dinan. Also, take it to Mini first to clear codes and see if situation resolves itself.

Odd stuff happens w/ electronics and often times a reboot is all that is needed. It would be the rare instance where the Dinan tune would be the issue (especially since they are not at all radical).

I know only one instance where a BMW M235i would not work properly w/ a Dinan tune. Again, that car may have been assembled in such a way w/ a variety of parts that it is operating at the limits allowed by the ECU.
So even the slightest change to boost or something else throws a code. Rare indeed, but these cars can be and are produced, sometimes, they never run properly even when left completely stock (and get labeled as "lemons"). No to infer yours fits into this category.

For the cost of 1 hour labor, it would be wise to have the Stage 1 installed by an authorized Dinan dealer. In my case, my BMW dealership across the street from my Mini dealership would handle the install of the Stage 1 and any CEL issue (additionally, because the motor is a BMW, they can clear codes and act as a go-between me and Dinan should that need to happen).

My 2017 M240i has the Stage 1 installed by that dealership where I purchased the car.

My BMW dealership (also a Dinan Dealer) told me (after I buy my 2019 and have a Stage 1 installed by them), should anything happen, go to Mini first for anything service connected. If they can't fix it (clear codes, etc), bring the car to them (BMW) and they will fix or coordinate w/ Dinan to resolve the issue.

Hoping that your issue is resolved w/o any future recurrence.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Dinan Elite JCW CEL P12A9 :(