Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Jmtc clutch or....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:56 PM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jmtc clutch or....?

I have a 2012 R56 MCS. Clutch fork broke. Guide sleeve, pivot pin, fork, and rear main seal will be replaced. Master and clutch slave has already been replaced.

I was mainly wondering if anyone has any experience with JMTC's clutches. I currently have my mind on the stage 1 they have to offer. SMF, Segmented Kevlar clutch.
Or should I go SMF with an O.E. clutch?

Spec, Clutchmasters and Competition seem to have hit or miss reviews. I'm not considering oem cause of the whole dual mass flywheel ordeal plus I plan on making more power down the road.

JMTC kit seems a little more attractive because of the install kits they offer.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with oem when i replaced mine. lightly touched up the flywheel and let it be. the stock clutch can handle a decent amount of power, its the same pn used on the jcw and gp2.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I'm a JMTC dealer and can help with price. I have the Aluminum stage 4 in my ALL4 Countryman with stage 3 tuning and big turbo. Drives like stock but is able to handle the extra 80whp, additional 500lbs and AWD system. Stock only lasted me 18K Thanks Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Only one I would recommend aside from JMTC is OS Giken for increased power. Though Mario's stuff is legit I'd hit him up.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 PM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
I'm aware of OSG but that price point is too high for me. I read in a few threads that it's not a very good daily clutch.
I just ordered stage 2 JMTC from Mario. Hopefully install goes well and my problems are all solved next week!

Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My OEM lasted about 40K miles. They are junk. I went with a JMTC stage 2 Kevlar conversion clutch kit with lightened steel flywheel. This is what any MINI with tuning should at least have. You'll love it.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:08 PM
ROD-Z
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering the JMTC clutch also; stage 2 or 3 with the light steel flywheel.
What are your thoughts after installing one of their clutch kits?
asysavanh
BMC_Kid

Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
I got the stage 2 with the 31lb flywheel. It honestly feels great after a few days. The clutch pedal feels extra soft right now since I replaced a lot of parts. My clutch fork broke.
It bites harder and the acceleration is quicker. I thought it was because I had been without my car for a while. But that wasn't the case.
I ordered my clutch from Mario. I recommend ordering your clutch through him. He'll answer any questions you have. I was I had gone the full stage 4 but money limited my options.

The following users liked this post:
ROD-Z (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 PM
ROD-Z
Neutral
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I'm a JMTC dealer and can help with price. I have the Aluminum stage 4 in my ALL4 Countryman with stage 3 tuning and big turbo. Drives like stock but is able to handle the extra 80whp, additional 500lbs and AWD system. Stock only lasted me 18K Thanks Mario

Mario,

Please contact me to discuss clutch options in my 2012 Countryman S All4.

Thanks, Rodney

Old 10-01-2017, 12:09 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ROD-Z
Mario, Please contact me to discuss clutch options in my 2012 Countryman S All4. Thanks, Rodney
I sent you a PM or email at MarioPalza@gmail.com

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 10-04-2017, 10:42 AM
robyb
2nd Gear
My JMTC on a stock JCW + stage 1 Alta tune was a great stock feel drive, without ever experiencing any slip(previous car). I now have OS Giken with LSD, list of mods and crazy tune. IMO the OS Giken is an on/off switch. I stall it all the time when in stop n go traffic.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by robyb
My JMTC on a stock JCW + stage 1 Alta tune was a great stock feel drive, without ever experiencing any slip(previous car). I now have OS Giken with LSD, list of mods and crazy tune. IMO the OS Giken is an on/off switch. I stall it all the time when in stop n go traffic.
Thanks for the insight....not sure if I'm going to do a clutch this winter or not, but for my needs the JMTurboCoopers seems to fit pretty well.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
prob a good idea to replace the clutch input cylinder (clutch master cylinder) also....

i had the dealer install in the jmtc stage 3 (kevlar/+30%) clutch and 26lb flywheel a few months ago. mostly just couldnt have the car down for more than a few days (although they ended up comp'ing a rental which was nice). I had them pull the transmission, i went to pick up, swapped a LSD into it the same night, and brought it back to them the next day (they didnt want liability for cracking open tranny) to put car back together. Took it easy for 2k miles or so to break in, felt pretty good for maybe a month or two.
the more stuff i did, it never seemed to get any faster. if anything felt slower... and the slower it felt the more i'd beat the hell out of it. after exhausting every other avenue for why performance sucked I came to the conclusion the clutch had to not be holding.

Soooo a few thousand miles later ,currently, it is apart with the transmission pulled back out in the driveway, sure enough the clutch wasnt holding much. friction disc only shows discoloration on outside ~1/4" of material. pressure plate and flywheel, after a quick 3m pad, look relatively unused and still show machine crosshatching. After a handful of emails back and forth with jmtc, ran by guy i got the clutch from, dealer who installed.... the *fix* is/was needing a new master cylinder. It wouldnt allow the throw out bearing to fully release from pressure plate fingers and allowing a full clamp of the disc. I had no concerns re using the flywheel/pp but the disc i didnt want to reinstall so they are shipping out another disc.

replacing throw out bearing, arm, pivot pin, input (master) cylinder, flywheel bolts... for whatever reason i totally skipped over the guide bushing i'll prob order and replace it, slave cylinder plunger looks like it took a beating so it'll prob get replaced as well.

Oh and went with the ceramic

Last edited by randeez; 11-08-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 PM
daoust
2nd Gear
I have the jmtc clutch with the alluminium flywhell. I m happy so far but it may have only 12000km.

The alluminium flhwheel don t have the hole for the.locking pin when you change the timming chain. This is something you should know before buying a new flywhell...

Old 11-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
For those that may not be aware, OS Giken had a price reduction in April of this year. MSRP on the Single disc STR is now $1490. Of course a dealer doesn’t have to sell it for that but that’s the lowest it can be advertised at.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 AM
randeez
4th Gear

as it turns out.... i havent had the correct clutch since initial order from JMTC.
and can confirm an N14 clutch does not work on an N18 very much at all.
On the bright side i am getting pretty quick at pulling tranny....about 2.5 hours to get it out this time

Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by randeez

as it turns out.... i havent had the correct clutch since initial order from JMTC.
and can confirm an N14 clutch does not work on an N18 very much at all.
On the bright side i am getting pretty quick at pulling tranny....about 2.5 hours to get it out this time
Ouch! Any compensation from JMTC for the sending out the wrong clutch? Or was it an error on your side?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 AM
randeez
4th Gear
just trying to get the right clutch back in it, couple consumables tty flywheels bolts n stuff. everything else was brand new after new disc went in. didnt even take it off the jackstands to find out it wasnt right this time

Old 12-23-2017, 02:22 PM
randeez
4th Gear
And this **** continues on.....

So i send back everything i have: flywheel, 2 clutch discs, and the 30% pressure plate. I get an email a shipping label has been created in the beginning on december, the 2nd. New clutch doesnt show up till earlier this week, the 19th. Open the box, new fly wheel, 15% pressure plate, and ceramic disc - just ****ing whatever the hell already i'm so sick of waiting on **** to get shipped back and forth i put it on.
I throw on the flywheel, disc, pressure plate, and mount the transmission after work one night. didnt get around to finishing up putting it all back together until today. start it up, put it in gear - nothing but a slight grind sound with clutch fully pressed but nothing else, go through all the gears- nothing. Up on jack stands put it in gear to let wheels spin, nothing. while in gear i can spin the wheels by hand.
At this point i'm guessing transmission shaft has broke off?? just my luck. sit around for about an hour and tear it back apart, check transmission shaft it's fine, lsd works fine goes through alll the gears with the transmission on the ground. So wtf, I take the pressure plate off the flywheel and the god damn splines on the clutch disc are bigger than the shaft of the transmission. So here we go again, who the hell knows when i'll see another clutch disc

I really can't recommends jmtc after all this, i've bit my tongue plenty of times and given him a chance to make it right. My car has been on jack stands for going on 2+ months at this point, if you get what you need the first time i'm sure it's all good but really screwed if it's your only car and have to wait weeks between getting parts back. I dont need to the car running, i'd much prefer it was, but at this point? buy an os giken/ try clutch masters? try to resell a jmtc clutch that fits who the hell knows what? stock that wont last? i dont even care about the money at this point i just want the car back together

Old 12-24-2017, 11:48 AM
randeez
4th Gear
I appreciate it man, the disc(s) i sent back have probably worked just fine! hopefully he has it sitting there and can throw it right back in the mail to me...but not a whole lot of a chance of getting anything done this week so o well