Drivetrain Modification advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Cbeery2.0
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modification advice

Ok, I've done a fair share of research but I know how to build old V8's and American cars. Looking for more ompf, better launch speed and overall power from 2500 rpm+ for my 2014 mini Cooper S, F56 model nothing modified yet, just a hair under 30k. Never worked with tunings before, is a piggyback tuner like the dinan or NM worth it in the long run or should I save up and go for a full custom tune or split the middle with a jb4? I know the exhaust can also be improved but again the options there are vast and seem to be similar in price to a custom tune, if not more. So, drop some knowledge on me if you could.

Last edited by Cbeery2.0; 08-10-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Brain fart
Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
The plug in module is really good and easy bang for the buck and a great place to start. Later you could go to a custom tune after getting all the other mods you want.
we carry several options based on your budget and taste
https://www.waymotorworks.com/16-f54...ce-drivetrain/

We also found replacing the lower engine bushing is a great bang for the buck mod too as it reduces drivetrain slop and helps get what power you have to the ground without breaking the bank
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbeery2.0
Ok, I've done a fair share of research but I know how to build old V8's and American cars. Looking for more ompf, better launch speed and overall power from 2500 rpm+ for my 2014 mini Cooper S, F54 model nothing modified yet, just a hair under 30k. Never worked with tunings before, is a piggyback tuner like the dinan or NM worth it in the long run or should I save up and go for a full custom tune or split the middle with a jb4? I know the exhaust can also be improved but again the options there are vast and seem to be similar in price to a custom tune, if not more. So, drop some knowledge on me if you could.

I agree with Way!

Start with a module, see how it does for you, the module's resale value is pretty good when/if you decide on a custom tune.

Personally, I think my Dinan module is just enough for me!!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (08-20-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You probably have an F56, not F54. Hardtop not Clubman. Just makes life easier here with the right model number.

The Dinan module on higher settings and using sport mode in the car is pretty darn fast and even a bit twitchy. You will easily accumulate speeding tickets if not careful.

You also should consider some suspension upgrades like rear sway bar if you want to motor around those turns at speed.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Cbeery2.0
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You probably have an F56, not F54. Hardtop not Clubman. Just makes life easier here with the right model number.

The Dinan module on higher settings and using sport mode in the car is pretty darn fast and even a bit twitchy. You will easily accumulate speeding tickets if not careful.

You also should consider some suspension upgrades like rear sway bar if you want to motor around those turns at speed.
You're 100% correct, I do drive a f56, don't know why I said f54. And I have thought about the rear sway bar from NM, I would love to hit corners faster again.
And I'm happy about the consensus with the Dinan module, I was looking what research I did about it, just wasn't sure if the jump in expected hp with the other piggyback modules justified the jump in price.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Piggyback devices are cool, but for consistent power delivery, nothing can match a good ECU tune ... We just did three F56s this week and all of them are super happy with the results (and all were previous owners of various piggy back devices)...

Old 08-15-2017, 05:53 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
yep im in favor of the Dinan sport as well. Plus, if you want a bit more gain and a the full warranty Dinan is known for, they just release their Elite tuner for our cars as well!

Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 PM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I started with the Dinan Sport tuner, it liked it, for the price it added a pretty good punch. I was on the wait list for a Manic Tune and oddly enough I got an email that it was available the day I installed the Sport. I drove around with the Sport for about a month but the lure of the Manic got the better of me and I sold it and went Manic.

Its been 6 months with the Manic Tune and I haven't looked back. The power increase of the Manic Tune is INSANE! The Dinan lets you boost higher but the tune adjusts the whole power band, it took me a few months to get used to controlling all the power without spinning the wheels off.

If you just want to add a little pep, go Diana or NM, both are very popular and well reviewed, but if you want to unleash the beast get a tune. You'll quickly realize that you don't have a limited slip differential and you'll really want one

Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Cbeery2.0
Neutral
Ok so one more question, although I assume I know the answer. If I do save up and go the full custom tune option, and both manic and bytetronic have caught my eye, I'd have to do a re-tune if I change anything else, correct? Like a new DP, exhaust, intake, the like, correct? Or does the computer in the car adjust accordingly regardless of tune or not? Thinking of that, does anybody offer tunes in Ohio, I'd rather not be without my daily driver.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 AM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing to mention - if your car still has warranty on it (and it probably does as a 2014), a piggyback might be a better option, since you can remove it in a few minutes before bringing it in for any warranty issues at the dealer.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbeery2.0
Ok so one more question, although I assume I know the answer. If I do save up and go the full custom tune option, and both manic and bytetronic have caught my eye, I'd have to do a re-tune if I change anything else, correct? Like a new DP, exhaust, intake, the like, correct? Or does the computer in the car adjust accordingly regardless of tune or not? Thinking of that, does anybody offer tunes in Ohio, I'd rather not be without my daily driver.
If you add or remove parts, then we can send you a customized tune based on your new mods. If you have the OBD2 flashing module, then you simply upload the map into the ECU and you're done.

Just wanted to add: you only need to send in the ECU one time for us to unlock the ECU; after that, all flashing will be done via the OBD2 port along with the FlashAccess software and hardware. Software and manual can be downloaded from our Download page on the website. You'll most likely be without your ride for 3 days: Day1 send in ECU; Day2 - ECU arrives, gets unlocked, return to owner; Day3 - ECU gets back to owner.

Last edited by Bytetronik; 08-19-2017 at 06:42 AM.