Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 17% w/MTH vs. 19% w/MTH

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 05:38 AM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17% w/MTH vs. 19% w/MTH

I want to get the opinion of the people here. I already have the 19% and have decided to get the MTH software but I'm a bit confused about which pulley to use. As I understand the 19% makes more power than the 17%; but with the software, the 17% w/MTH should make more power than the 19% w/MTH. Why is that so, if the 19% alone already makes more power than the 17%? I also have a 17% pulley and would consider to swap if it would better.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would highly recommend utilizing software that controls larger injectors for the 19%, especially if the software raises the rev limiter.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:49 PM
JPit
2nd Gear
17% w/MTH vs. 19% w/MTH

Franz recommends the 17% pulley over the 19% but I don't know exactly why.

Old 10-11-2004, 02:49 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my take on this question;

Just about all other add-ons, i.e. header, catback, intake, intercoolers, chips, etc, benefit the MCS motor at higher rpms. The 19%, and even the 17% benefit the MCS at lower rpms. So, adding a 19% to the MCS just might make a slower car then one with a 15%, header, catback, and so on. In fact I would bet on it.

I just remember that on dyno day all the cars but one had a 15%. The other car had a 19%. The 19% came in quite low compared to the 15% with many other add-ons.

Old 10-11-2004, 03:16 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onasled
Just my take on this question;

Just about all other add-ons, i.e. header, catback, intake, intercoolers, chips, etc, benefit the MCS motor at higher rpms. The 19%, and even the 17% benefit the MCS at lower rpms. So, adding a 19% to the MCS just might make a slower car then one with a 15%, header, catback, and so on. In fact I would bet on it.

I just remember that on dyno day all the cars but one had a 15%. The other car had a 19%. The 19% came in quite low compared to the 15% with many other add-ons.
technically on a dyno it's harder to distinguish the 19% effectiveness cuze as everyone knows the mini suffers huge heat soak,

you get the 19 to lower the torque band for the mid range.. i think top end power is about equal in the end.... i also think that a 19% would benefit a tmic over a 15%, im still gonna do it anyways though!

Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
technically on a dyno it's harder to distinguish the 19% effectiveness cuze as everyone knows the mini suffers huge heat soak,
To some degree it probably is, but have you seen the torque curve of the 19% versus the 15%? VERY impressive!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:23 AM
johnD
Helix,
I actually want a lower rev limit to preserve the supercharger. When will the GIAC for the 19% come out? The injectors are readily available, all we need is the software. I could actually opt for the apex/i fuel controller but the tuning time and cost is a big factor. I've been waiting for the GIAC for so long, will it be out soon?

Onasled,
Kyriian is right. I'm guessing the reason why the 19% would make less than a 15% on a dyno is because there is not much air to cool the intercooler which is very important to make power with the 19%.

So what's the verdict, will the 17% w/MTH make more than the 19% w/MTH or will their maximum outputs be equal but have a fatter torque curve for the 19%? By the way, what is the corresponding ENGINE rev limit with the 19% pulley.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:02 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Bottom line: A properly tuned 19% (incl. injectors) will make more power than any larger pulley with software. And more torque with or without injectors.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:01 PM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
I too have a 19% pulley, and I'm waiting on my cable to do the flash.

In the future, I intend port the head and go a bit bigger on the exhaust valves, then drop in a cam. I'll also need to go with bigger injectors at that point.

I'm wondering if the stock ECU and MTH flash will run a good fuel/air ratio through the rev range without resorting to an aftermarket fuel controller?

Old 10-12-2004, 02:20 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 19% seems to be an ideal solution for some, and not for others. At this time, I still don't find it to be for me.

Until there is better cooling for the charged air, the performance gains remain most notable down low, and not at the high end. And under hard track driving, that same heat generation has made for mutliple belt failures. Randy at Webb Motorsports can bust one on demand, and that concerns me. I personally don't want something on my MCS that has me thinking about toning-down my driving. I don't find that acceptable...

With that said, while I don't feel this to be a perfect solution for me, I'll qualify that statement (again) by saying - at this time. Peter at M7 is working on an answer for those who want the 19%, minus some of that pesky heat :smile: . A cooler running 19% pulley? Well, the man thinks he has something! He will be doing some evalutions (hard-driving), taking heat measurements, etc over the next two weeks. If it cuts the mustard, there will be a new pulley in town.

M7 could have offered pullies some time ago, but if you know Peter, then you know that he likes to be different. Much like this intake coming to market soon, this pulley is another example of just that - creative thinking, and hopefully powerful solutions!

Old 10-12-2004, 04:11 PM
maddog2020
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
I'm wondering if the stock ECU and MTH flash will run a good fuel/air ratio through the rev range without resorting to an aftermarket fuel controller?
The lambda graphs from my Dyno pulls yesterday (see https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=31801) shows that the a/f ratio is not maintained through the rev range by the stock ECU either with or without the MTH upgrade. That said, the MTH upgrade did make a significant power difference anyway.

I have emailed Franz at MTH to ask about the a/f ratio control.

Dog

Old 10-13-2004, 07:00 AM
johnD
I'm still waiting for the response from helix when they're going to release the GIAC for the 19%. I hope eric can give more information regarding the availability of GIAC.

I don't really drive the MCS a lot so the 19% and the belt problem doesn't worry me too much. I have noticed that the difference in power between the 15% and 19% isn't that big but with the GRS intercooler, it was completely different. Power up to the higher rev range was obviously better.