Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Is the one-ball holding me back?? Time for milltek?? Need advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 PM
bimmadave
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the one-ball holding me back?? Time for milltek?? Need advice!!

Ok guys, I've done a lot of work to my mini and I really love it. But I've got the itch for power, and I was wondering what your opinions may be on the best move for me to make to get more.

Here is what I have:

17% pulley (seeing about 15psi max)
m7 CAI
JCW injectors
WMW quicktune (Love this!!)
WMW street cam
DT Bypass Valve
one-ball Exhaust

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea whether a Milltek Catback will do anything for me. I can't do a header because Stupid California smog will not pass ANY aftermarket header, cat or not... so I'm limited in my options. I'm looking at exhaust i'm just a bit hesitant to drop $850 if it won't do me any good. I've thought about a new head, but I don't have the $1600+ for that project right now...

Any clue if the milltek will actually net any gains for me or if it would be a waste? Yes yes, I know, it sounds amazing... but I'm strictly talking about power/tq!! It seems like EVERYONE on the dyno sheet library has a catback, so... does everybody just like the sound or is exhaust the key to getting more WHP!?!? Someone with experience regarding how our cars respond to a catback please chime in!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-07-2017, 03:10 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Looks nice, well built, durable, but power will be pretty similar to a one-ball exhaust.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by bimmadave
I can't do a header because Stupid California smog will not pass ANY aftermarket header, cat or not... so I'm limited in my options.
Why car culture is so prevalent in a state that tries so hard to destroy it, I'll never understand. Anyway, sorry...

Honestly a catback probably isn't going to buy you a lot of power. It may be lighter, may flow a little bit better, and will definitely sound better. Find the one you think sounds the best and go with it for that reason so you enjoy driving around.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:12 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The only way to know is if exhaust manufacturers published dyno graphs with torque and horsepower curves of just their exhausts compared to stock. I don't know of any of them that have done that for an MCS. I did see this one that someone did that may be helpful to you.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM
175HP
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwkeating
The only way to know is if exhaust manufacturers published dyno graphs with torque and horsepower curves of just their exhausts compared to stock. I don't know of any of them that have done that for an MCS. I did see this one that someone did that may be helpful to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3sx8Q0Wqjs
I am waiting for my magnaflow system to arrive, but on their website they have dyno charts comparing stock vs. with the exhaust. Nice thing to have.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you get those charts, please post them. I'd love to see them.

Alta did dyno charts for their exhaust but it included multiple upgrades so in my mind, those charts were useless for judging just their exhaust.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM
175HP
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwkeating
If you get those charts, please post them. I'd love to see them.

Alta did dyno charts for their exhaust but it included multiple upgrades so in my mind, those charts were useless for judging just their exhaust.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We did plenty of dyno testing on R53 exhaust years ago and I will agree the Magnaflow did make the most HP. BUT it came at a cost. The HP gain was at 7k RPM, but the torque was always 5-8ft lbs less than a Milltek or Strat exhaust which made their peak torque at 4-5000 rpm.
Well sense I drive my MINI in the sub 5000 rpm range most the time I've always prefered the Strat or Milltek as they will give the most performance without the drone the Magnaflow had. (I even had a Magnaflow on my 04)

I need to see if I can find our old dynos as none of the exh ever made 16ft lbs of torque on a stock car. The Magnflow was only around 5-6 ft lbs torque. But did make about 14hp at peak.
The Strat, Milltek was about a 12hp gain at peak, but between 8-10 ft lb torque gain. But NO DRONE.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-14-2017, 04:41 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I dont care about drone (track car) but 14 hp is a huge gain on these cars

it is very hard to find dyno's that truly only show an exhaust change they always add extra crap like a tune, pulley etc etc

I would love to see what an r56 exhaust setup on an r53 will show for gains, my track car is about to get a 4:1 catless setup into a large resonator, I'm not sure what I will put at the back